Punching above our weight | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Punching above our weight

Jan 21, 2017
Well it seems DA knew we were going to struggle, he quite clearly knew the budget he was given and the players he was able to sign were simply not good enough. There needs to be changes starting at the top, starting with someone who will put the team first and properly development second!

Aug 10, 2006
Martin":33vtmgnu said:
Well it seems DA knew we were going to struggle, he quite clearly knew the budget he was given and the players he was able to sign were simply not good enough. There needs to be changes starting at the top, starting with someone who will put the team first and properly development second!
you should know by now that you are not allowed to say those things on here, it upsets some people.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Not too sure what punching above our weight means anymore. We are rock bottom of League 1 and with our improved budget this season we should show a marked progression from the team that gained automatic promotion. That's a gimme. 'If' we hadn't got promoted, where do you reckon we'd be in league 2? Still battling relegation is my bet. The budget wasted on re-signing Carey seems to be a waste and if we had to have Lameiras and budget for a decent striker or Carey and no-one else I'd go for the former.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
To be honest, the whole "big club small club" thing doesn't really exist anymore, not in terms of how far a club can go. Today was a perfect example, Fleetwood have invested over the years, both in their corporate facilities, academy & first team, they're now trying to get into the championship and yet they are what would be traditionally seen as a 'small club', Burton are the same, even Bournemouth are similar and they're in the top flight. In the modern day, it's now about who owns a club, not the 'size' of the fan base or the history. While I'm not saying we are punching above our weight, it's perfectly possible for a traditionally 'big club' to be punching above their weight despite being in a League full of traditionally smaller clubs.

jlm

Jul 6, 2016
Ade the green":3tue1542 said:
Not too sure what punching above our weight means anymore. We are rock bottom of League 1 and with our improved budget this season we should show a marked progression from the team that gained automatic promotion. That's a gimme. 'If' we hadn't got promoted, where do you reckon we'd be in league 2? Still battling relegation is my bet. The budget wasted on re-signing Carey seems to be a waste and if we had to have Lameiras and budget for a decent striker or Carey and no-one else I'd go for the former.
What this guy said....but in a French accent

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
loyal1970":3k1qw3ty said:
Martin":3k1qw3ty said:
you should know by now that you are not allowed to say those things on here, it upsets some people.

You spend too long with that prat Chapman.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Why on earth is PAFC not attractive to an investor? Crowds bigger than most in this league big catchment area and own their own Ground ? Surely somebody must be interested ! I think the main problem now is the Money brent would expect to step down

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Martin":10srgbqk said:

Also it cannot do a lot for the players morale for DA to keep saying 'punching above our weight' inferring the players are not good enough

Mar 8, 2016
edengreen":1028borj said:
Why on earth is PAFC not attractive to an investor? Crowds bigger than most in this league big catchment area and own their own Ground ? Surely somebody must be interested ! I think the main problem now is the Money brent would expect to step down

I would like to think if the right person came in to buy the club then Brent would sell, when that will be is anyone's guess. sooner rather than later hopefully.

Nov 9, 2008
edengreen":22h1qj8k said:

Crowds that typically drop off big time unless the club is in the promotion race, not exactly an affluent area, not an area that tends to attract the better young players, not an area that established players typically want to come to, not too many local people with the money to pump into the club.

Remember the last time we had investors in... That's the reason we're in the position we are now rather than still being a solid Championship club.

Jan 21, 2017
I have no reason to think JB is a decent man who has taken the club as far as his limited resources can, to push on again it is clear we new investors with deeper pockets, and in the meantime drop the development ideas and keep the team in league 1.

Jan 27, 2012
We heard the phrase 'punching above our weight' a few times last season.

I don't think Brent or Stearne's were ever asked to explain the exact meaning of this. If it meant that Argyle's league position was higher than the playing budget warranted then its a worrying situation. Alongside Portsmouth, Argyle were the biggest club in League Two based on home attendances and potential.

Argyle remain one of the biggest clubs in League One and historically have always been very strong in that division (apart from when there have been financial crisis such as under Dan MacCauley and more recently when in Administration).

If Argyle were 'punching above their weight' in League Two last year it raises questions about what Brent thinks Argyle's 'weight' is ? National League ?

I really don't buy this stuff about Argyle having a competitive budget for League One. Based on the signings (mostly other clubs rejects and League Two drifters) it doesn't suggest that the budget is very good. Adams mentioned this numerous times before the season began.