Gone backwards | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Gone backwards

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
I know watching Argyle at the moment is terrible, but until today I didn't give it a thought to how far we have dropped, even though we are playing in a higher league. The last time we played the shrews at home park, 4th October 2014 we fielded a side which imho had eight players who would walk into the current side. Hartley, McHugh, Mellor, Nelson, O'Connor, B Reid, Alessandra, R Reid. This side failed to achieve promotion that season, So I cannot see how on earth we can stay up this season with this side.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
pearces greens":33f6plr6 said:
I know watching Argyle at the moment is terrible, but until today I didn't give it a thought to how far we have dropped, even though we are playing in a higher league. The last time we played the shrews at home park, 4th October 2014 we fielded a side which imho had eight players who would walk into the current side. Hartley, McHugh, Mellor, Nelson, O'Connor, B Reid, Alessandra, R Reid. This side failed to achieve promotion that season, So I cannot see how on earth we can stay up this season with this side.

As much as I like wallowing as much as the next one,, there is a world of difference between gaining promotion and achieving nothing but staying up.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
The current team would struggle in league 2 and we have definitely gone backwards.
Our only hope is that there are 4 teams WORSE than us. Currently there are NONE and no sign of us improving.
In fact I think we will fall further behind safety between now and xmas and January transfer window will be crunch time for JB.
Sack DA get new manager and spend some money to stay up or keep DA, spend no money and get relegated without a fight. I fear the latter in that scenario

Feb 8, 2005
samjones":395gn4rb said:
The current team would struggle in league 2 and we have definitely gone backwards.
Our only hope is that there are 4 teams WORSE than us. Currently there are NONE and no sign of us improving.
In fact I think we will fall further behind safety between now and xmas and January transfer window will be crunch time for JB.
Sack DA get new manager and spend some money to stay up or keep DA, spend no money and get relegated without a fight. I fear the latter in that scenario

I'm afraid both of your scenarios are pure speculation, Sam.

You do yourself an injustice by giving those views.

Jan 27, 2012
We really miss Taylor and Kennedy from last year. Those two made the difference.

The Argyle team playing in League One is weaker than the Argyle team that last played in League Two.

Kennedy was available. Adams said we couldn't afford him this year.

Sep 26, 2009
DA should take responsibility for his actions - tactics and recruitment - and stay as manager , prove that his is ' the big I am ' that all his interviews and pronouncements tell us he thinks is he is. Prove to us that he is the wonderful manager he obviously thinks he is. His reputation is teetering on the edge of credibility, so come on Derek think out of your 'box' and play 2 up front.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
jimsing":2nzvbugc said:
samjones":2nzvbugc said:

I'm afraid both of your scenarios are pure speculation, Sam.

You do yourself an injustice by giving those views.

Wow Sam , what a surprise reaction from you , what next I wonder .....next

Mar 8, 2016
gaspargomez":2yxudirm said:
We really miss Taylor and Kennedy from last year. Those two made the difference.

The Argyle team playing in League One is weaker than the Argyle team that last played in League Two.

Yeah somehow the team isn't as strong this year, wish we had kept hold of tanner too. We will be so far cut adrift by January that relegation won't even be a debate on here, we Will be planning for yet another few more seasons in league two. Not sure what the answer is though, a new manager with new ideas and better players I suppose.

Apr 9, 2011
Already 4 points adrift of 5th place , another bad month & we will be a lost cause by Christmas. Be interesting to see how good Shrews really are in comparison to us

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
gaspargomez":1ro2qlp6 said:

....after he'd wasted a vast amount on retaining Carey.

What's the best way of spending £20k in order to build a team Derek?

10 players at £2k apiece or one player at £10k and 10 at £1k

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":3fgh91cq said:

I don't recollect anyone saying anything like that after news broke that Carey was staying this season. At the time, as I remember, the consensus was it's the best thing we'd heard so far and a statement of intent from the manager and board that we meant business this season.
Obviously it hasn't quite turned out as hoped, but 20/20 hindsight is certainly a wonderful thing.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Mark Pedlar":lc838tbz said:
gaspargomez":lc838tbz said:

Or neither of those two options.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
kernow19":mzhshiv0 said:
Mark Pedlar":mzhshiv0 said:

I don't recollect anyone saying anything like that after news broke that Carey was staying this season. At the time, as I remember, the consensus was it's the best thing we'd heard so far and a statement of intent from the manager and board that we meant business this season.
Obviously it hasn't quite turned out as hoped, but 20/20 hindsight is certainly a wonderful thing.

There were some that thought the time spent on getting Carey's signature prejudiced the time spent on recruiting elsewhere and there were some that thought when Carey signed after the long wait that it would cost us dear.

Oct 19, 2013
Great work from the OP. I was wondering who the other 2 apart from Luke were who he thought wouldn't get in the current team. Morgan and Blizzard is the answer which may also go some way towards addressing the point about missing promotion