Safe Standing | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Safe Standing

May 21, 2015
Apologies if this has been raised in a previous thread.
With the news that Shrewsbury are set to implement safe standing in the future, do we think this is something that might be incorporated into the new developments? Perhaps even in the lower section of a redeveloped grandstand?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I thought there was some kind of legislation preventing it being used in England? Happy to be proved wrong.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
tandark":3txope8z said:
With the news that Shrewsbury are set to implement safe standing in the future, do we think this is something that might be incorporated into the new developments? Perhaps even in the lower section of a redeveloped grandstand?

Shrewsbury haven't had three consecutive seasons in the top two divisions so they do not yet have to comply to the all seater stadium rule. Until the current legislation changes, Argyle cannot introduce it to Home Park.

On your other point, I don't believe the old Mayflower Terrace is the right place for Safe standing. The idea of the refurb is to have a more up market match day experience on that side of the ground and the type of supporter that those facilities should attract, are unlikely to prefer to stand.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
I think I'm right in saying that the board have said they'll look at it as a possibility for the second stage of the grandstand plans.

Personally I'd like to have it in the Devonport End. There don't seem to be any rational arguments against safe standing at football so let's have it.

Aug 2, 2011
Although I am not a supporter of standing at football stadiums it seems to me that our Devonport end stand regardless as do away supporters and nobody seems to do anything about it.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Green_Matt":2xb5iecu said:
There don't seem to be any rational arguments against safe standing at football so let's have it.

Don't tell us, tell the politicians that can change the legislation. Until they alter the law, nothing can go ahead. There is no political gain for them to do so at the moment so you will be flogging a dead horse unfortunately.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":2ypuikzk said:
tandark":2ypuikzk said:

Shrewsbury haven't had three consecutive seasons in the top two divisions so they do not yet have to comply to the all seater stadium rule. Until the current legislation changes, Argyle cannot introduce it to Home Park.

On your other point, I don't believe the old Mayflower Terrace is the right place for Safe standing. The idea of the refurb is to have a more up market match day experience on that side of the ground and the type of supporter that those facilities should attract, are unlikely to prefer to stand.
So standing is deemed to be safe if the club in question hasn't been in a higher league long enough? Either it's safe or it isn't and the teams that have been in higher leagues tend to have safer grounds. Allowing standing at Wimbledon in such a sub standard ground makes a complete mockery of the rules.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Chris Dennis":n2w34a72 said:
Lundan Cabbie":n2w34a72 said:
tandark":n2w34a72 said:

So standing is deemed to be safe if the club in question hasn't been in a higher league long enough? Either it's safe or it isn't and the teams that have been in higher leagues tend to have safer grounds. Allowing standing at Wimbledon in such a sub standard ground makes a complete mockery of the rules.

Not at all. The legislation says that an all seater stand is safer than an open terrace. Nowhere does it say that standing is unsafe. It just sets out timetables for clubs to comply to being safer.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Let's concentrate on safe seating in the grandstand first.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Cant understand when a seat is provided why anyone would want to stand , especially when big guys are in front of smallwr guys spoiling their view.

Aug 2, 2011
lilcol":1v9hgoib said:
Cant understand when a seat is provided why anyone would want to stand , especially when big guys are in front of smallwr guys spoiling their view.

Agreed, nothing more annoying that having paid for a seat some hulk persists in standing in front of you. For it to happen it would need to be a defined area with crush barriers. Also a warning that as a standing area it may mean restricted viewing for children or those below average height.

All of the above requires capital expenditure to achieve and whilst it is not on the agenda at present even in the future should the law change therevare far more important financial priorities for the club

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
My fear for safe standing is people squeezing into the area to be with their mates when their actual ticket is for elsewhere. Whether that be from a different row or somewhere else in the stadium. It will only remain "safe" so long as it is policed sufficiently so that everybody stands in their allocated space.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":3mxcql5g said:
My fear for safe standing is people squeezing into the area to be with their mates when their actual ticket is for elsewhere. Whether that be from a different row or somewhere else in the stadium. It will only remain "safe" so long as it is policed sufficiently so that everybody stands in their allocated space.
That happens already anyway.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":1qtgoqa0 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1qtgoqa0 said:
That happens already anyway.

Indeed it does. I have been to away games and fans squeeze into rows where their mates are and because they're all standing, they get away with it. It can't happen if you have to sit though.

Jul 25, 2011
Apply the same conditions in a seating area then you’ve got REAL problems. Seating in your way is a death trap. The Wycombe away play off semi was a debacle with 100s of fans in thecaway endcwith no seat yet being ordered to sit down! Shambolic and far more dangerous than had the same scenario been on a terrace. How many deaths would have been avoided at Bradford had it not been seats impeading people exit?