FA cup R2 Bradford city | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

FA cup R2 Bradford city

Jul 15, 2011
So....another trip to Bradford a few weeks after L2 fixture.
A second chance for beers there as i might miss this satdy...
COYG!

It's about the worst draw we could've got. Away to a team above us and one we're playing in a league fixture just before it. Recall the same happened with Wolves about 10 years ago. I'd normally be delighted with another trip to Valley Parade as it's my closest ground in our division, but am down in Cambridge that day so won't be able to make it.

M

Dec 29, 2011
Yes this also happened about 27 years ago.We had to travel to Middlesbrough twice on consecutive Saturdays.Both games ended 0.0.I recall .I remember the stadium announcer making sarcastic comments about our away support .Bradford is a local derby in comparison

May 8, 2011
Also not likely to be much of a pay day, Bradford’s crowd against Chesterfield in the 1st Round was only 4,747, when you consider their average home crowd in the League is over 19,000, that is pretty shocking. The season ticket holders can’t be too keen on paying the match day prices.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
The Night Riveria":1hx9euhh said:
Yes this also happened about 27 years ago.We had to travel to Middlesbrough twice on consecutive Saturdays.Both games ended 0.0.I recall .I remember the stadium announcer making sarcastic comments about our away support .Bradford is a local derby in comparison

Memory Man, any earlier examples you care to share?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Didn't we have two away games in Sheffield in the space of four days a few years ago? We won 1-0 at Hillsborough on the Tuesday night and then lost at Bramall Lane on the Saturday. I remember being at both games, I assume one of them must have been a Cup game because that would have been a really unfriendly bit of scheduling but don't really remember for sure.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Martin_Brock":3jbb1yvz said:
It's about the worst draw we could've got. Away to a team above us and one we're playing in a league fixture just before it. Recall the same happened with Wolves about 10 years ago. I'd normally be delighted with another trip to Valley Parade as it's my closest ground in our division, but am down in Cambridge that day so won't be able to make it.

M
My initial reaction when watching the draw was - “FFS! Just about the worst draw we could have got”. But having thought about it – maybe it’s not so bad. Being drawn away to a very physical up-for-it non-league team flying high in their own league with the possibility of it televised would have been much worse. That would have been potentially demoralising & embarrassing if we lost, so the pressure would have been great which could have had a knock on effect to our much more important league campaign. The idea of Carey getting clogged as we crash out on national TV on some lower league potato field makes me shiver. As it stands – lose and it’s ‘so what?’; let’s concentrate on the league - or a win would be such a good result that it would give us all a big lift and potentially an exciting third round draw. So yeah – I’ll take Bradford away thanks.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Ave_IT":jxjdn1j8 said:
Martin_Brock":jxjdn1j8 said:

M
My initial reaction when watching the draw was - “FFS! Just about the worst draw we could have got”. But having thought about it – maybe it’s not so bad. Being drawn away to a very physical up-for-it non-league team flying high in their own league with the possibility of it televised would have been much worse. That would have been potentially demoralising & embarrassing if we lost, so the pressure would have been great which could have had a knock on effect to our much more important league campaign. The idea of Carey getting clogged as we crash out on national TV on some lower league potato field makes me shiver. As it stands – lose and it’s ‘so what?’; let’s concentrate on the league - or a win would be such a good result that it would give us all a big lift and potentially an exciting third round draw. So yeah – I’ll take Bradford away thanks.

Agree with most of that, not great for the travelling GA but this also gives DA an opportunity to assess from how we perfrom in the league game (looking forward to it and will be my 4th away game of the season) and then make the necessary changes to win the cup game or take them back to Home Park for a replay.

The beauty of the cup is that form and position are often challenged so we have a good chance of going through. Bradford players and fans won't be relishing the draw either, as they may see it as an unattractive and tough match played in front of a small crowd.

Initially I groaned and thought it was a really bad draw, but on reflection I don't feel so bad. However, I live in France so I won't be attending either game in Bradford...... Hats off to all fans who make either or both of the games.
:scarf: :scarf:

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Out of interest, what kind of team did Bradford put out in the last round? Are they likely to think that the league is more important for them and make some changes or is the lure of a big 3rd round day too much?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The-Pilgrim":9b0o35r7 said:
Out of interest, what kind of team did Bradford put out in the last round? Are they likely to think that the league is more important for them and make some changes or is the lure of a big 3rd round day too much?

For the First Round game against Chesterfield they made four changes, although two were enforced changes because of a suspension and a loan player not being cup tied. Bradford also experimented with a new formation.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
dazzy3000":3nlz1jcf said:
The Night Riveria":3nlz1jcf said:

Thanks for the opportunity to look at this dazzy3000. 1969-70 was a decent example, though it was the League Cup. 13 Aug 69 saw us draw 1-1 at home to Torquay and a week later we lost 1-0 in the replay. 3 days later we were back for a Division 3 match and came away with a 2-1 win. There were more than 15000 at HP and each of the two away games saw 10K+ attendances at Plainmoor. In 65-66 on 13 Sep 65 we were away in a D2 game at Preston (0-2). Eight days later we were back at Deepdale for a 1-0 reverse in League Cup 2. 1963-64 was something of a record, with SIX games against Huddersfield Town. We were away to them on 7/9/63 in a D2 game (3-4). 25/9 we drew 2-2 at home in the FLC 2. A month later we replayed at Leeds /Road (3-3) and on 28/10 we lost 2-1 in a second replay at Villa Park. We then drew them in a home FA Cup 3 tie and lost 1-0. A week later Town returned for a D2 game which ended 0-0. 1961-62 saw us draw West Ham in the FLC away (2-3) and the FAC 3 (wonderful 3-0 win). We also drew them the following season in the FLC2 (0-6). In 62-63 we drew WBA in the third round of the FA Cup (1-5 at home) having lost 3-2 to them at the same stage (away) in 59-60. 1964-65 saw us play Leicester three times between 20 Jan and 10 Feb 65. First we lost 3-2 away in the 1st Leg FLC SF. 10 days (30 Jan) later we were back at Filbert Street and got tanked 5-0 in FAC 4. Then on 10 Feb they beat us 1-0 in the second leg of the FLC semi. And finally, the 50s threw up a couple of regular meetings. In both 1949-50 and 1950-51 we drew Wolves at home on the third round of the FA Cup. The first season we took them to a replay and all three matches had 40,000 or more present. In 1954-55 and 1957-58 we drew Newcastle at home in the third round. A total of almost 70,000 people attended those two games. Newcastle went on to win it in 1955.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
memory man":2p2juhka said:
dazzy3000":2p2juhka said:
The Night Riveria":2p2juhka said:

Thanks for the opportunity to look at this dazzy3000. 1969-70 was a decent example, though it was the League Cup. 13 Aug 69 saw us draw 1-1 at home to Torquay and a week later we lost 1-0 in the replay. 3 days later we were back for a Division 3 match and came away with a 2-1 win. There were more than 15000 at HP and each of the two away games saw 10K+ attendances at Plainmoor. In 65-66 on 13 Sep 65 we were away in a D2 game at Preston (0-2). Eight days later we were back at Deepdale for a 1-0 reverse in League Cup 2. 1963-64 was something of a record, with SIX games against Huddersfield Town. We were away to them on 7/9/63 in a D2 game (3-4). 25/9 we drew 2-2 at home in the FLC 2. A month later we replayed at Leeds /Road (3-3) and on 28/10 we lost 2-1 in a second replay at Villa Park. We then drew them in a home FA Cup 3 tie and lost 1-0. A week later Town returned for a D2 game which ended 0-0. 1961-62 saw us draw West Ham in the FLC away (2-3) and the FAC 3 (wonderful 3-0 win). We also drew them the following season in the FLC2 (0-6). In 62-63 we drew WBA in the third round of the FA Cup (1-5 at home) having lost 3-2 to them at the same stage (away) in 59-60. 1964-65 saw us play Leicester three times between 20 Jan and 10 Feb 65. First we lost 3-2 away in the 1st Leg FLC SF. 10 days (30 Jan) later we were back at Filbert Street and got tanked 5-0 in FAC 4. Then on 10 Feb they beat us 1-0 in the second leg of the FLC semi. And finally, the 50s threw up a couple of regular meetings. In both 1949-50 and 1950-51 we drew Wolves at home on the third round of the FA Cup. The first season we took them to a replay and all three matches had 40,000 or more present. In 1954-55 and 1957-58 we drew Newcastle at home in the third round. A total of almost 70,000 people attended those two games. Newcastle went on to win it in 1955.

Thanks for taking the time to reply MM. Oh for some of those attendances today!