"30 years behind the times"

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
What the Bristol Rovers boss said.

BBC

Good to see recent improvement to some of our infrastructure but I think we are probably equally guilty. Grandstand to be addressed soon which will be a start , but our training facilities are still possibily 10 or more years behind many of our similar sized rivals.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Rome wasn't built in a day!
We are lucky our club still exists!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We probably lost up to 10 years due to the administration period and the Stapleton era where the focus was spending money on player wages rather than infrastructure. The last accounts from the previous regime in 2009 showed we paid 87% of our turn over on player wages and 74% the season before that. It didn't leave much money to invest in facilities and infrastructure, if any at all.

It begs the question - what did we get for £17 million worth of debt? No promotion to the Premier League and no state of the art training facilities or good infrastructure.

We are playing catch up now and the responsibility to upgrade our facilities has fallen on the current board.

May 8, 2011
If anyone knows of a farmer with enough land for 8 football pitches and an indoor training facility within 20 miles of Plymouth that both won’t need much groundswork to get in up to standard, ie flat, and the local council won’t object because it’s either green belt or in an ANOB, please let the Club know.
Of course there is always the old airport site!

Sep 28, 2003
London
PL2 3DQ":1odzg1cy said:
We probably lost up to 10 years due to the administration period and the Stapleton era where the focus was spending money on player wages rather than infrastructure. The last accounts from the previous regime in 2009 showed we paid 87% of our turn over on player wages and 74% the season before that. It didn't leave much money to invest in facilities and infrastructure, if any at all.

It begs the question - what did we get for £17 million worth of debt? No promotion to the Premier League and no state of the art training facilities or good infrastructure.

We are playing catch up now and the responsibility to upgrade our facilities has fallen on the current board.

I've often wondered that myself.

We certainly didn't spend £17m on anything material...where the hell did it all go?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Dalton Is God":3eiycl99 said:
PL2 3DQ":3eiycl99 said:

A new pitch!

Living the dream. :)

Aug 5, 2016
cheshiregreen":2d2g9ld6 said:

BBC

Good to see recent improvement to some of our infrastructure but I think we are probably equally guilty. Grandstand to be addressed soon which will be a start , but our training facilities are still possibily 10 or more years behind many of our similar sized rivals.
I think Bristol Rovers have lost 7 out of their last 8. I remember wondering about the potential backlash against DA if he'd have reminded fans the infrastructure of the club was a little outdated during a losing streak. He wasn't even allowed to refer to his budget when the wins were hard to come by.

Knibbsworth":3jegwl9f said:
cheshiregreen":3jegwl9f said:

BBC

I think Bristol Rovers have lost 7 out of their last 8. I remember wondering about the potential backlash against DA if he'd have reminded fans the infrastructure of the club was a little outdated during a losing streak. He wasn't even allowed to refer to his budget when the wins were hard to come by.

And Bury with their facilities aren't exactly ripping up trees.

Jan 3, 2013
Andy Holland":qq4y3x0z said:
PL2 3DQ":qq4y3x0z said:

I've often wondered that myself.

We certainly didn't spend £17m on anything material...where the hell did it all go?
plus the £7 million for TfR fees.......gosling, halmosi, Norris etc

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah I agree, apart from the fact we've got nice fans with necks.