Brief Synopsis!!! (Oxford)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) So Carey straight back in following his suspension at the expense of Ainsworth - good man management(?). Blissett missing from the squad completely allowing Ainsworth to shuffle down. Both teams would have thought that they could have done better over the first few minutes as neither team could keep the ball.

2) A thoroughly entertaining first half marred by a ridiculous decision by the referee and a display of incompetence by the linesman that would have been laughable if it hadn't been against us. After the penalty Argyle dominated for all but the last 10 minutes of he first 45 despite being down to 10.

3) The penalty decision may have been correct, Edwards leant heavily on the Oxford forward and he collapsed into the box. It was soft but if it was the other way I'd have been appealing for it. The red card however was ridiculous and an instance of double penalty that the FA was supposedly trying to rule out.

4) Argyle had a couple of attempts on goal with Jervis's free header the best chance but he failed to get any power on it. Carey went close with a free-kick and Grant could have perhaps played people in a couple of times but was slow releasing the ball. Carey too caught often in possession.

5) Tricky to see how Argyle were going to get back into the game at half time having surrendered the bulk of midfield. Couldn't help feeling that at some point Argyle would have to replace one or both wide forwards with proper wide midfielders. Bit no the Adams masterstroke was to replace Taylor-Sinclair with Miller.

6) The second started with a quick free-kick for Argyle finding Jervis 1v1 with the goalie but his shot was both wide and weak. Oxford missed a simple chance also 1v1 but they didn't make the same mistake twice. Sawyer was turned inside out. Two goals both against the run of play.

7) Mainly Oxford after the second as Argyle struggled to find either space or possession. Oxford hit the bar and went close again and again as Argyle dropped deeper. Grant was replaced by Lameiras. Dully, as they were 2 up, Oxford employed the standard time wasting tactics.

8 ) The third looked like another Sawyer error. Sarcevic for Diagouraga the final substitution for Argyle. Carey now moved into a "faux 9" position. Cue the 4th with the defence in utter shambles. Lameiras produced the first and only Argyle shot on target in the 86th minute.

9) Two huge errors. The ref should never have produced the red for Edwards and Adams substitution of Taylor-Sinclair for Miller was both baffling and calamitous. For Argyle it was back to the early part of the season. The team at the end didn't appear to know what shape they were playing or why.

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 6
Ryan Edwards - 5
Sonny Bradley - 7
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 8
Yann Songo'o - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 6
David Fox - 6
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 7
Jake Jervis - 5

Michael Cooper - unused
Gary Miller - 4
Antoni Sarcevic - 5
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - unused
Alex Fletcher - unused

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Strange set of results today in League One. 6 teams lose at home without scoring, with Argyle's 0-4 and 2 x 0-3 results. Bristol Rovers prevented a third 0-3 with a very late goal. Didn't expect this defeat after last week.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
bringonthemilkman":21tv0a7t said:
Memory Man you should remember that when Argyle are involved you should never believe in what you expect to happen
Indeed!

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Only listened but sounded like Taylor-sinclair was our most creative and attacking player in the first half.
No surprise he was taken off at half time for the dependable (dependably crap) Miller who we surely now have to agree is actually Adams' son

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Pity the game didn't finish at half time as I thought our reaction to the sending off was really good - we got on the front foot and really caused Oxford problems. We would have taken solace from our performance even though we lost.
However, we got worse and worse second half and that'll be the lasting memory of the game.
I can only assume ATS was injured as there was absolutely no other reason for bringing on Miller in his place. After the second goal it was all over and we lost shape and belief. Let's hope the players can put this result behind them and move on to the next game trying to build on the first half performance rather than the second!

Aug 11, 2013
up_the_line":ftzddao0 said:
Only listened but sounded like Taylor-sinclair was our most creative and attacking player in the first half.
No surprise he was taken off at half time for the dependable (dependably crap) Miller

The only good thing is that when Miller plays I get out of the ground easier at the end ...

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Not there but having read a few reviews on here I suspect the half time sub will definitely be described by DA as enforced through injury not tactical.

Not saying ATS was injured just that is what will be reported to the media.. Is Matthews going to be ok for Tuesday?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Didn't agree with the refs decision but that doesn't excuse that we were completely inept at passing, crossing, shooting and having a poor mentality when we go down to 10 men.

Not good enough.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i enjoyed the majority of this match until the second goal went in just after half time.the match then was clearly lost.i thought the referee took his goal really well with a great assist from the linesman who missed the offside.the referee astonishingly red carded edwards for a clean tackle in my opinion.my stand out players today were yann,sawyer,fox,carey,lameiras and the outstanding jervis.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 6
Ryan Edwards - 2 because the ref subbed him early
Sonny Bradley - 5
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 5
Yann Songo'o - 7
Tounami Diagouraga - 1
David Fox - 6
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 1
Jake Jervis - 10

Michael Cooper - unused