Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban)

Jan 8, 2006
Just watched the re-run of the penalty. The ref had a good view of the incident so he was in a good position to make the decision. He did not appear to get any help from the lino on advice, it was his shout. The number 9 was in possession of the ball and running towards goal in our penalty area. Edwards is on his right side, keeping pace with him and closing him down. All of a sudden the No 9 changes direction moving to his right onto Edwards path. Edwards does not change direction. At the same time as his change of direction the No 9 raises his right arm high into the air in an attempt to shove Edwards. It is only at that moment does Edwards raise his left arm to protect himself. He then falls over like a sack of King Edwards spuds. I did not see the incident clearly like the ref did on Saturday, and at the time thought it was a penalty but no red card. Now I have the ref's view it is clear no red card, no penalty. It was a free kick to Argyle for the foul on Edwards, and a booking for the No 9 for the foul and the simulated falling over. Must be overturned on appeal. I am sick of this behaviour in the professional game. It was so refreshing to watch the youth team the other night in the FA cup. No fouling, no falling over, blood and guts football, and the joy on those lads faces to win the game.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Penalty all day long and correct decision to send him off

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The FA have now confirmed Edwards has a two game suspension.

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
Thomas has been 'clever' by cutting in front of Edwards and invited the foul, albeit VERY soft. No way should it have been deemed deliberate by the ref. Yellow card probably right, but never red. We should definitely appeal.

Of greater concern was how our defence was so easily caught out by a simple ball over the top.

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
PL2 3DQ":1hpseg13 said:
How does that work? I thought a straight red was 3 games, plus the chance of getting more due to him picking up a second red of the season.

2 games seems a bit odd.. I thought a straight red was 3 games, plus the option for more considering he has picked up his second red of the season. 2 games seems odd, either give him the full ban or rescind it.

Although it is plausible I have missed a rule change..

Jun 2, 2016
Tugboat":2qtr3081 said:
Only a red if the foal was deliberate.
If accidental it's yellow + penalty.

This was a yellow in my mind for reasons set out above

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
SurreyGreen":2pnjhnwx said:
PL2 3DQ":2pnjhnwx said:
How does that work? I thought a straight red was 3 games, plus the chance of getting more due to him picking up a second red of the season.

2 games seems a bit odd.. I thought a straight red was 3 games, plus the option for more considering he has picked up his second red of the season. 2 games seems odd, either give him the full ban or rescind it.

I suppose it was a professional foul and not violent conduct which means a one game ban plus another game because it's his second sending off this season.

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
PL2 3DQ":t7rmdfvq said:
SurreyGreen":t7rmdfvq said:
PL2 3DQ":t7rmdfvq said:

I suppose it was a professional foul and not violent conduct which means a one game ban plus another game because it's his second sending off this season.
Oh ok, I didn't realise if it was not violent conduct it was a 1 game ban. That makes sense then.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
the_corkscrew":14whwunk said:
Tugboat":14whwunk said:

But the argument against is that he denied the player a goal scoring opportunity with only the GK to beat.

Jun 2, 2016
Tugboat":n8pymhwp said:
the_corkscrew":n8pymhwp said:
Tugboat":n8pymhwp said:

But the argument against is that he denied the player a goal scoring opportunity with only the GK to beat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

New rules though

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
the_corkscrew":cklfbkeh said:
Tugboat":cklfbkeh said:
the_corkscrew":cklfbkeh said:
Tugboat":cklfbkeh said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

New rules though

I see.

An Appeal should overturn the decision then.

Apr 9, 2011
Did anyone watch "goal rush" several penalties awarded most much clearer than Edwards not one got a red card & most not even yellow. Disgusting decision & thanks ref for spoiling what looked like going to be a good game for 11000 spending their hard earned.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Yeah we're not getting our luck with these types of decisions. Lazy refereeing is pre judging us on record rather than merit.

We've seen several tackles against us worse than the one which saw Carey sent off, yet they've even be waved away. We had another soft pen given against us last weekend against Bradford, fortunately Matthews saved it. This time it's soft contact and a referee that's given up a new ruling and sent Edwards off. Yet when Carey was upended against Grimsby the ref waved it away and played on.

The ref isn't to blame for our league position, but we're getting poor luck on decisions and it's certainly not helping.

May 22, 2006
SwimWithTheTide":lbkswiny said:
Yeah we're not getting our luck with these types of decisions. Lazy refereeing is pre judging us on record rather than merit.

I find it amazing that the FA send a pre match pack to each referee stating by player who commits the most fouls, who wins the most fouls etc. It can only result in refs having a biased opinion before the game and surely influences their decision making.

The match pack is presumably based on stats but I doubt that many supporters would highlight Jake Jervis as being our dirtiest player.

Well i am still going to back the ref on this one.
However, just watched a vid looking from behind the incident and it does make it look a
more dodgy decision i must admit. However from my position in the main stand looking sideways
on it there was always a gap between them which you dont see so clearly in the vid.
Ryan was always coming from behind and the thing that caught my eye the most was him
putting his left arm on the strikers right shoulder and pulling from behind as he cut inside to shoot.
They both then went down together. No doubt the striker to get the pen and ryan maybe to make
it look accidental. Its pro football and thats what always happens in it. Strikers and defenders
they are both at it all the time. Footballing oneupmanship.
Anybody remember rod marshs dive and pen for qpr all those years ago in the 60s.
Phil jones got away with something similar to this incident in the england game the other night
tugging from behind but he was more crafty and got away with it.
This was too obvious for me. Unfortunately for ryan.
The ref was side on looking from the other side and no doubt saw the arm tugging from behind too
so thats why im backing him on this one.
Dont touch em from behind when your the last man. Simples.