The Defence, Midfield or Attack | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Defence, Midfield or Attack

Mar 14, 2009
So with the window approaching what area do people feel we need to address most importantly?

Goal scoring seems the stand out issue but you need to create chances to score.

However, l think l'm more alarmed by the soft goals we concede.

I'd like to see more pace at full back and a mobile CDM who can tackle and cover the lack of pace Edwards and Bradley have. A nasty type of player with some bite. Like a lower league Robbie Savage.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
We need energy in midfield and someone who can commit to joining the attack
Carey was far to deep first half and tbh looked like Jervis and grant were full backs first half
We do not win enough 2nd balls in midfield and do not link play
Big Jervis fan but from today's showing if ainsworth and Wylde can't get into that side then we may as well release them as both wingers were terrible

Also time for Sawyer to go back to left back as he is being targeted at RB and is more prone to attack then ATS who always plays the safe easy ball rather than trying to beat a man down the line

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
It all depends how Adams is going to play and if we can shift his summer dross. I think money will be made available as the risk of the drop is too great and we are still in touch so a gamble is worth it.

Surely even Lord Negative himself realises we need to be less defensive week in and week out - it is too painful long term. I don’t mind a negative performance by exception against high flying teams, but at Home to Rochdale... nah not for me.

We need players that don’t sit back at every opportunity. A signing like a Kennedy is what we needed last year - so hopefully he can pull something out to match our needs now.

If he signs attacking players alone I fear they will be on the bench or played so far out of position.

So with all that I expect we are going to ship out / release 6 including an unexpected couple of names (Lamerias, Te Lokke, Cifci, Blissett, Oscar and Sarcevic) and try to replace them with two new centre backs dropping Edwards to the bench, a new goalkeeper, a new right back and two new strikers.

As I have predicted big changes i now expect nothing will happen and it will be as dull a window as an Adams team on a Tuesday night.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Goalkeeper as well - unless Letheren is back soon.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
It will be another typical Argo transfer window :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:
I can't see big changes even though we do need a major overhaul.
Reckon we will be lucky to see 3 new faces and that will still require at least 2 to exit.

Get Threlkeld back at RB and Sawyer at LB and we will only need a GK to complete the defence or rely on Luke which is dodgy.
Definitely need another goal scoring striker so that will leave 1 midfielder which needs to be a power house ball winner or an alternative attack minded player for Carey cover

Its going to be a long olde season with many twists and turns just like today where we threw away another 2 pts which ultimately could be crucial

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Sam, standby for Cobi. Don’t you know you can’t criticise McC? Personally, I’d lose no sleep if this is his last season.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Eden Green , Sam Jones, Why does Sawyer 'automatically return to left back' if Oscar comes in at right back ? I'd have thought ATS has done well enough to hang on to that spot for the time being.

Jul 12, 2004
Before the match yesterday I was saying to a fellow supporter that the greatest issue is the lack of pace or attacking flair from the full backs. Oscar, if fit should be fine and I would actually keep ATS at left back. The other startling problem we have in comparison to most teams is the lack of a midfield player who runs beyond the stiker from the centre of the field.

Oct 31, 2015
I doubt there will be much movement tbh. We are in the bottom 4 playing carp football with a budget we have to stay within.

I would like

Toums to extend til the end of the season
Get Mathews back til the end of the season
Someone to cover and assist Taylor
A pacey midfielder who break fwd quickly (maybe oscar?)

I would also prefer Songo back in the team probably at the expense of Edwards. He is still our player of the season and can't get in the team!

We are now into December so Carey will go missing til Feb as he has done in the last 2 seasons.

To go out

Shift key, Lameiras (because he will want to) and maybe the CB we signed last Jan

I really dont think there will be anything special and it will be more of the same until the end of the season hopefully finishing outside the bottom 4 :)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
edengreen":3g4flcwu said:
We need energy in midfield and someone who can commit to joining the attack
Carey was far to deep first half and tbh looked like Jervis and grant were full backs first half
We do not win enough 2nd balls in midfield and do not link play
Big Jervis fan but from today's showing if ainsworth and Wylde can't get into that side then we may as well release them as both wingers were terrible

Also time for Sawyer to go back to left back as he is being targeted at RB and is more prone to attack then ATS who always plays the safe easy ball rather than trying to beat a man down the line
I cannot get to as many games as I would like so I am always reluctant to join the debates. But I have seen ATS twice and was immediately impressed with his attacking prowess, especially at Bradford City (League game). Ainsworth too was impressive that day - all the while he is running with the ball we are not defending!

Aug 15, 2015
Assuming Sokolik leaves, then a centre back to push Bradley and Edwards.

A box to box type midfielder who can bring some legs to the midfield (Threlkeld?). Sarcevic is nothing but a passenger.

Assuming the likes of Ciftfi and Blissett leave, then one or two strikers.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Like Memory Man don't get to that many games compared to some on here, but, that doesn't deflect from me avidly following our fortunes and the views of others mainly on here.

An observation. From memory, we have spent transfer fees on Blissett and Edwards and it seems neither have been outstanding successes so far. Be interesting to see how January pans out.