• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Just back (ages ago)

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
As our regulars must have been Christmas shopping, I will attempt to fill the void.

The ying yang of last week, when we turned one point into three, became the yang ying this week, when we succumbed to a 93rd minute goal more akin to a pin ball machine in the penalty area.

The team was unchanged but the Rotherham team included David Ball, who I remember for scoring a brilliant goal for Fleetwood against us at HP a few years ago, so I was worried he would be a threat.

Anyway the game was pretty even in the first half. Our defence was passing to each other á la Barcelona, which always worries me. Anyway we managed to not get caught in possession. Rotherham played around neatly to the edge of our area but then were restricted to long range shooting which die not trouble Mr. Roos.

In that first half Taylor was being marked by two large gentlemen, one of them, Ajayi would have not looked out of place in a basketball team. He was good though, no hoofing, he could play a bit. Taylor was trying his best to compete in the air but was having a bit more success when the ball came to him on the ground. Around him, Grant was fairly quiet, Jerky Jervis was having a mare (and a lazy mare at that), Fox and Toums were effective with providing any real forward threat, Bradley was playing well, Sawyer and Taylor-Sinclair looked competent in the main, Edwards was a worry as he plainly pulling a shirt a time or two at corners in front of the ref, and Carey was, well Carey, always a threat on the ball and a major disappointment when he anything wrong. He got booked which was a worry and it was a typical Carey booking, flying in and missed the ball. They also had two players booked in that first half.

The second half kicked off and, in no time flat their No 6, Wood, who had already been booked, clattered into Taylor and received his marching orders. So at 0 v 0 and them down to 10 men, we must be in for at least a point.

Well actually, Rotherham raised their game with ten men and pegged us back quite a lot in the middle period of the second half. Then, unsurprisingly, Adams recognised that Jerky was managing to do absolutely nothing right, or nothing at all, one of the two, and he was subbed. Ainsworth came on for him. Shortly afterwards Grant made way for Wylde. This was a bit of a shock to me, to have these two on at the same time. I assume he wanted to stretch Rotherham as far and wide as he could.

Then a corner from Ainsworth was neatly headed in at the near post by ex Miller, Taylor, who was roundly booed after that and indeed was booked for celebrating in front of their fans. Only 8 minutes to go - could we hang on ?

Well there seemed little threat until the third minute of stoppage time when Sawyer mistimed a jump or miscalculated the fact that there were two men behind him on a long crossfield ball. The resulting cross lead to a corner and the most infuriating, poor corner kick, bobbled around, was booted against a player, then again, then again and then it fell to someone who stuck through a crowd of players from a few yards out. So much for jingle bells .... Argyle win away !

Anyway, with clarity of thought, a draw was a fair result and, with the Gillingham bonus of last week, these things even themselves out (apparently). I would have taken the draw before the game, so it was a point won.

A word for the ref, he was not the best, but far from the worst I've seen. He got all the bookings right, apart from Taylor, which to be honest I didn't see as I was still jumping around celebrating.

So onwards and upwards - we need the win next week.

Aug 10, 2006
the sending off may be a turning point to the season Adams at last put attacking player's on and they actually created chances (not rocket science is it) so hopefully he will play them more often, it was also nice to see a player on the half way line when defending a corner ainsworth I think it was although I suspect he did that without Adams instruction (not rocket science is it).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
loyal1970":3dr0h6iy said:
the sending off may be a turning point to the season Adams at last put attacking player's on and they actually created chances (not rocket science is it).

You’re right, football is so easy. Play 4-4-2, score loads of goals and win every week.

Why doesn’t everyone do it?

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
Looking at the highlights Ainsworth seemed to be involved in all the good stuff. Was this representative of the match? Would like to see him get a run in the team

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Set off after football focus and arrived in Bridge Inn at 1.15! Closest game for me and hoping for a result as a few mates are Millers fans. Good old fashioned pub - toilets must have a preservation order on them. Of course once again away pub had underestimated our numbers and it took an age to get served. Happy to meet and chat with fellow greens from Manchester and Scunthorpe but a special mention to Martin from Dunfermline whose Grandad was from Swilly.
First half fairly even with only real talking point a late challenge on Roos after a corner. We looked solid in defence with Toums and Fox effective. In attack were pedestrian while they were pacy.
Jake and Grant deservedly subbed and we actually mounted a couple of periods of sustained pressure although Wylde did little to make anyone think he should be picked every week. Taylor scored with an angled beard post header and celebrated in front of the Rotherham fans and/ or his family. Either way he had a bottle thrown at him and was booked for taking so long to get back into his own half. How many times have opposing players done that to us this season without any consequences?
Argyle then had to hold on for 8 mins which turned into 15 when an extra 5 were added- where did they come from? Of course you can usually rely on Argyle to wreck an acca bet and they conceded a scrappy scrambled goal in injury time. Disappointing as we were just believing we might actually hang on for 3 valuable points. Still most would have settled for a point away before kick off and Rotherham did enough not to lose.
Back home for 5.35! Well done to all those still on M5/A38 four hours later

Feb 2, 2007
Ainsworth hasn’t had a fair crack and Jervis, for all his efforts and excellent contribution in last couple of years may be getting a jot complacent. Would love to see Ainsworth start a run of games and show us what I believe he can do.

So pleased for Taylor, keep him fit and we stay up IMO.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Biggs":ot2da9hs said:
loyal1970":ot2da9hs said:
the sending off may be a turning point to the season Adams at last put attacking player's on and they actually created chances (not rocket science is it).

You’re right, football is so easy. Play 4-4-2, score loads of goals and win every week.

Why doesn’t everyone do it?

They do when they play us!

Oct 31, 2015
Dreamgreen":2vkcsezw said:
As our regulars must have been Christmas shopping, I will attempt to fill the void.

The ying yang of last week, when we turned one point into three, became the yang ying this week, when we succumbed to a 93rd minute goal more akin to a pin ball machine in the penalty area.

The team was unchanged but the Rotherham team included David Ball, who I remember for scoring a brilliant goal for Fleetwood against us at HP a few years ago, so I was worried he would be a threat.

Anyway the game was pretty even in the first half. Our defence was passing to each other á la Barcelona, which always worries me. Anyway we managed to not get caught in possession. Rotherham played around neatly to the edge of our area but then were restricted to long range shooting which die not trouble Mr. Roos.

In that first half Taylor was being marked by two large gentlemen, one of them, Ajayi would have not looked out of place in a basketball team. He was good though, no hoofing, he could play a bit. Taylor was trying his best to compete in the air but was having a bit more success when the ball came to him on the ground. Around him, Grant was fairly quiet, Jerky Jervis was having a mare (and a lazy mare at that), Fox and Toums were effective with providing any real forward threat, Bradley was playing well, Sawyer and Taylor-Sinclair looked competent in the main, Edwards was a worry as he plainly pulling a shirt a time or two at corners in front of the ref, and Carey was, well Carey, always a threat on the ball and a major disappointment when he anything wrong. He got booked which was a worry and it was a typical Carey booking, flying in and missed the ball. They also had two players booked in that first half.

The second half kicked off and, in no time flat their No 6, Wood, who had already been booked, clattered into Taylor and received his marching orders. So at 0 v 0 and them down to 10 men, we must be in for at least a point.

Well actually, Rotherham raised their game with ten men and pegged us back quite a lot in the middle period of the second half. Then, unsurprisingly, Adams recognised that Jerky was managing to do absolutely nothing right, or nothing at all, one of the two, and he was subbed. Ainsworth came on for him. Shortly afterwards Grant made way for Wylde. This was a bit of a shock to me, to have these two on at the same time. I assume he wanted to stretch Rotherham as far and wide as he could.

Then a corner from Ainsworth was neatly headed in at the near post by ex Miller, Taylor, who was roundly booed after that and indeed was booked for celebrating in front of their fans. Only 8 minutes to go - could we hang on ?

Well there seemed little threat until the third minute of stoppage time when Sawyer mistimed a jump or miscalculated the fact that there were two men behind him on a long crossfield ball. The resulting cross lead to a corner and the most infuriating, poor corner kick, bobbled around, was booted against a player, then again, then again and then it fell to someone who stuck through a crowd of players from a few yards out. So much for jingle bells .... Argyle win away !

Anyway, with clarity of thought, a draw was a fair result and, with the Gillingham bonus of last week, these things even themselves out (apparently). I would have taken the draw before the game, so it was a point won.

A word for the ref, he was not the best, but far from the worst I've seen. He got all the bookings right, apart from Taylor, which to be honest I didn't see as I was still jumping around celebrating.

Thanks for the update mate.

Mar 14, 2009
Listening to DA interview he worries me when his interpretation of "going for it" is making a attacking substitution with around 10 mins to go. He actually thinks we went for it even though he didn't change things until 20 plus mins after the sending off.

He then makes it sound like mission impossible to break Rotherham down when they stuck 10 men behind the ball. Saying that actually it hindered our game plan because they had to go more defensive.Yet when it is us teams have vast amounts of possession and chances and don't have any issues.

I know he has to have confidence and believe in what he does but at some point you surely have to admit you get things wrong. Especially if you do things such as find it very difficult to take control of a match where you have 1 extra player for 35 mins of the remaining match. He never seems to make any mistakes if you listen to what he says on games.

Jul 18, 2011
I think Adams got this one right, we did score and it was only defensive mistakes (again) that cost us the three points.

The only thing I would have done differently was to bring on a defensive sub after we scored.

Apr 9, 2011
rsp4":3bkfqjvl said:
Dreamgreen":3bkfqjvl said:

Thanks for the update mate.
Yep thanks for that much appreciated

Apr 9, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":9gfvw099 said:
Listening to DA interview he worries me when his interpretation of "going for it" is making a attacking substitution with around 10 mins to go. He actually thinks we went for it even though he didn't change things until 20 plus mins after the sending off.

He then makes it sound like mission impossible to break Rotherham down when they stuck 10 men behind the ball. Saying that actually it hindered our game plan because they had to go more defensive.Yet when it is us teams have vast amounts of possession and chances and don't have any issues.

I know he has to have confidence and believe in what he does but at some point you surely have to admit you get things wrong. Especially if you do things such as find it very difficult to take control of a match where you have 1 extra player for 35 mins of the remaining match. He never seems to make any mistakes if you listen to what he says on games.
Am afraid that's the dour stubborn Scot coming out in him although to be fair it worked for
Luggy at this level anyway

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Abbotts Ann Green":3fndrvse said:
I think Adams got this one right, we did score and it was only defensive mistakes (again) that cost us the three points.

The only thing I would have done differently was to bring on a defensive sub after we scored.

In hindsight.

He did one time and got ridiculed for it.

We have to be better in attack and either keep pressing high keeping the ball away from our defence for long periods or let them have some ball and for us to be effective in the counter attack.

This back to the walls defending the last 20 minutes of a 1 goal lead is painful for both the players and supporters to go through.

Jul 18, 2011
I’m not disagreeing with any of that, but the bottom line is that we are not very good and grinding out results seems moderately effective. Once/if we get to 55 points then I think we can try to be more expansive.

Although we don’t like the way we play can you imagine how frustrating it must be for our opponents too!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
School boy defending cost us the 3 pts. We had 2 chances to clear the ball and everyone got in each other way. Personally I would of kicked the ball and Greg Wylde out of the ground