5 games to go (the run in) & results against bottom 5 teams! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

5 games to go (the run in) & results against bottom 5 teams!

Mar 14, 2009
Argyle
Accrington (H)
Swindon(A)
Oxford(H)
Morecambe(A)
Cheltenham(H)

Hereford
Accrington(A)
Barnet(A)
Northampton(H)
Crawley(A)
Torquay(H)

Macclesfield
Port Vale(A)
Crewe(H)
Bradford(A)
Burton(H)
Southend(A)

Barnet
Crawley(A)
Hereford(H)
Southend(A)
Wimbledon(H)
Burton(A)

D&R
Gillingham(A)
Aldershot(A)
Crawley(H)
Shrewsbury(A)
Bristol Rovers(H)

So we have the advantage of one more home game.

Looking at the fixtures there are some tough fixtures for all sides concerned.

For example, no matter what you think of Aldershot, Dean Holdsworth has transformed that club. They were on a decent run until todays result. The problem Argyle have is playing 3 decent sides with Swindon (who at home have only lost 1 game all season) and Oxford who are fighting for a playoff spot.

The other problem for Argyle is teams that dont have anything to play for eg Accrington against Hereford this monday bank holiday might be problematic because despite what managers/coaches may say players will be almost in holiday mode IF they have nothing to play for. You almost get to the pre-season friendly mode where 50/50 contests are won more by the team that has something to play for because in a players mind they wont want getting injured. Not saying these teams wont try, but it just wont be as crucial. If you look at the last ten games you will see Accrington has lost 3 out of the last 4. Basically Argyle can not rely on other teams to do them a favour because it simply wont happen.

The other problem Argyle has is goals. And lack of them. Even when we create chances we fail enough times to even hit the target. Against better opposition this could be an issue.

One advantage Argyle will have over the coming weeks is knowing the Barnet result on friday nights. For the next two weeks running they will be playing Hereford and then Southend. So we will know 24 hours prior to our game what we need to do. However, this might not be an advantage should the results go against us (e.g. Hereford beating Barnet).

So who has the toughest run in? Well if Argyle can maintain a four point gap by the 24th April then with two games to go (and fingers crossed Argyle dont get thumped between now and then) Hereford have Crawley and Torquay for their final matches. Yet something tells me they might get out of this. Barnet have a history of getting out of this mess.

As people have said about points dropped today and Macclesfield could end up being the reason we go down. Yet, we havent lost to alot of the sides around us at the bottom.

If you take scores against the bottom 6 teams this season in which we have played them home and away

D&G we took 4 points
Northamption we took 4 points
Hereford we took 2 points
Barnet we took 1 point
Bradford we took 4 points
Macclesfield we took 4 points

So out of a possible 36 points we took 19 points which isnt the worse record in the world I feel. If you take that promotion form is 2pts a game on average which would create a total of 24pts (over 12 games) we would be only 5pts behind this total. In other words we are currently in play-off form when playing these teams. I think its been abit of a myth that we missed chances against these teams. We have taken four points off all but two teams. Yes we blew it last min against Macclesfield and should have been more up today but hey if we were that good we wouldnt be in this postion in the first place. I mean you arent going to get everything going for you and looking at our points tally against these teams we have had more than a decent return.

The real reason we will go down now is....

- We play the next 5 games with negetative tactics and play with fear

- We never addressed the central midfield area

- We only got 1pt out of the first 10 league matches

- We never got an experienced coach alongside Fletcher

I really would love us to win on Monday so we can almost enjoy the remainder of the season. I would be devasted, like most, if we go down.

Yet like someone told me earlier today. Should we go down its not the end of the world. I mean sure it would be disapointing and it would feel like a hammer blow but yet the club would still be around to support. I was on the Hereford site earlier tonight and they started a thread similar to what i have just said, in the sense they said should we go down they still go and watch their team. So would we. As soon as the next season starts, no matter what league we are in, we will forget about this season and focus on the next and it wont matter what happened because that was the past. I dont want to see us go down. I know it would take me weeks/months to get over it. Yet I know I would because thats what football does to you. It knocks you down and gets you up again for the next battle.

I have a funny feeling about monday in terms of how the gap might close again. Yet if that does happen lets just remember that whatever league we are in next season we have a team to support. I know i forget this because of how passionate I get over a result. Yet sometimes you just have to accept fate has a way of giving you the highs and the lows.

In some ways, including myself, we have forgot in a way about how lucky we all are. Football is making us feel these wonderful emotions. Sure we could be safe. Sure we might be on the verge of a nervous breakdown every 90mins we play. Yet in life there arent too many things that can make you feel these rollercoaster of emotions. Isnt that really why we become fans. We didnt sign up for boring mid table medoricity but instead for promotion and relegation battles. I remember going to Burnley in 1995 for our final match. We of course lost. I was gutted. Yet that is what football is all about. Those days. Not mid table saftey where you have nothing to play for and you go through the motions. I know some people would say they would love that right now. Yet as soon as you had a season or two of that you would get bored wishing for some excitement. We have it. Lets just hope we can be the ones this time with something to celebrate.

COYG's :scarf:

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Metal_Green_Mickey":2wz2u37o said:
Argyle
Accrington (H)
Swindon(A)
Oxford(H)
Morecambe(A)
Cheltenham(H)

Hereford
Accrington(A)
Barnet(A)
Northampton(H)
Crawley(A)
Torquay(H)

Macclesfield
Port Vale(A)
Crewe(H)
Bradford(A)
Burton(H)
Southend(A)

Barnet
Crawley(A)
Hereford(H)
Southend(A)
Wimbledon(H)
Burton(A)

D&R
Gillingham(A)
Aldershot(A)
Crawley(H)
Shrewsbury(A)
Bristol Rovers(H)

So we have the advantage of one more home game.

Looking at the fixtures there are some tough fixtures for all sides concerned.

For example, no matter what you think of Aldershot, Dean Holdsworth has transformed that club. They were on a decent run until todays result. The problem Argyle have is playing 3 decent sides with Swindon (who at home have only lost 1 game all season) and Oxford who are fighting for a playoff spot.

The other problem for Argyle is teams that dont have anything to play for eg Accrington against Hereford this monday bank holiday might be problematic because despite what managers/coaches may say players will be almost in holiday mode IF they have nothing to play for. You almost get to the pre-season friendly mode where 50/50 contests are won more by the team that has something to play for because in a players mind they wont want getting injured. Not saying these teams wont try, but it just wont be as crucial. If you look at the last ten games you will see Accrington has lost 3 out of the last 4. Basically Argyle can not rely on other teams to do them a favour because it simply wont happen.

The other problem Argyle has is goals. And lack of them. Even when we create chances we fail enough times to even hit the target. Against better opposition this could be an issue.

One advantage Argyle will have over the coming weeks is knowing the Barnet result on friday nights. For the next two weeks running they will be playing Hereford and then Southend. So we will know 24 hours prior to our game what we need to do. However, this might not be an advantage should the results go against us (e.g. Hereford beating Barnet).

So who has the toughest run in? Well if Argyle can maintain a four point gap by the 24th April then with two games to go (and fingers crossed Argyle dont get thumped between now and then) Hereford have Crawley and Torquay for their final matches. Yet something tells me they might get out of this. Barnet have a history of getting out of this mess.

As people have said about points dropped today and Macclesfield could end up being the reason we go down. Yet, we havent lost to alot of the sides around us at the bottom.

If you take scores against the bottom 5 teams this season in which we have played them home and away

D&G we took 4 points
Northamption we took 4 points
Hereford we took 2 points
Barnet we took 1 point
Bradford we took 4 points

So out of a possible 30 points we took 15 points which isnt the worse record in the world I feel. If you take that promotion form is 2pts a game on average which would create a total of 20 pts (over 10 games) we would be only 5pts behind this total. In other words we are currently in and around mid-table form when playing these teams.

The real reason we will go down now is....

- We play the next 5 games with negetative tactics and play with fear

- We never addressed the central midfield area

- We only got 1pt out of the first 10 league matches

- We never got an experienced coach alongside Fletcher

I really would love us to win on Monday so we can almost enjoy the remainder of the season. I would be devasted, like most, if we go down.

Yet like someone told me earlier today. Should we go down its not the end of the world. I mean sure it would be disapointing and it would feel like a hammer blow but yet the club would still be around to support. I was on the Hereford site earlier tonight and they started a thread similar to what i have just said, in the sense they said should we go down they still go and watch their team. So would we. As soon as the next season starts, no matter what league we are in, we will forget about this season and focus on the next and it wont matter what happened because that was the past. I dont want to see us go down. I know it would take me weeks/months to get over it. Yet I know I would because thats what football does to you. It knocks you down and gets you up again for the next battle.

I have a funny feeling about monday in terms of how the gap might close again. Yet if that does happen lets just remember that whatever league we are in next season we have a team to support. I know i forget this because of how passionate I get over a result. Yet sometimes you just have to accept fate has a way of giving you the highs and the lows.

In some ways, including myself, we have forgot in a way about how lucky we all are. Football is making us feel these wonderful emotions. Sure we could be safe. Sure we might be on the verge of a nervous breakdown every 90mins we play. Yet in life there arent too many things that can make you feel these rollercoaster of emotions. Isnt that really why we become fans. We didnt sign up for boring mid table medoricity but instead for promotion and relegation battles. I remember going to Burnley in 1995 for our final match. We of course lost. I was gutted. Yet that is what football is all about. Those days. Not mid table saftey where you have nothing to play for and you go through the motions. I know some people would say they would love that right now. Yet as soon as you had a season or two of that you would get bored wishing for some excitement. We have it. Lets just hope we can be the ones this time with something to celebrate.

:whistle:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
My feelings exactly. Think you have summed things up very well. My only comment would be that we often seem to play better against 'better' sides like say Oxford or Cheltenham whereas it can be a bit of a scrappy mess against bottom sides, as shown yesterday. Also our pitch suits passing football better than some of the less quality pitches. Don't see why we can't beat Aldershot and Cheltenham if we're firing on all cylinders. As for the midfield issue, I agree it's the one area on the pitch that hasn't been sorted but not for want of trying. Every team needs and is looking for an intelligent, controlling and creative midfielder (Nalis was one of the best for me) but they're not easy to come by and it takes skill and experience, which you won't often find in a young player like Hourihane. So we have to try and make the best of what we have and I think Fletch is doing just that.
The rollercoaster continues on Monday. Can't wait!

May 16, 2005
Elburton
I agree Lesley, we do tend to raise our game against better sides but unfortunately it has not produced results.

We are 23rd in the league for matches against top half teams...

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/D3/vtophalf.html

...and 14th in the league against bottom half teams...

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/D3/vbothalf.html

...having said that, while Aldershot are a top half team, they appear to be sliding away from the play off picture and so maybe that can count in our favour with a good performance on Monday.

J

just_ste

Accrington are busy on Monday,let hope they play the reserve team against us and the first team against Hereford
:lol:

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Lesley Reardon":34omu3c1 said:
My only comment would be that we often seem to play better against 'better' sides like say Oxford or Cheltenham

I assume you were not at the Oxford away match Lesley !

Apr 1, 2009
Form goes out of the window at this stage of the season, and it is therefore impossible to predict anything. Sides desperate for points (at either end) will freeze one week and play their hearts out the following weeks. Midtable teams with little to play for can play well due to lack of tension, and badly due to lack of motivation. Predicting the results of A against B doesn't work. So we are just going to have to wait and see - and try to relax at the same time!

However, I predict we will be ok!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
In a way I really don't think there's any easy run in's.

It's probably harder to beat the teams at the bottom more than the teams up the top because your not expected to win the harder games so the pressure is far less than beating the teams at the bottom.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Dreamgreen I wasn't saying we did play well against Oxford - apologies for not making my point very clearly. I meant to say we generally play better (not necessarily well enough to win) against better teams such as Oxford, upcoming. The away performance was poor ( I wasn't there) but I think we will do a lot better this time around. I'm confusing myself now!

Jun 18, 2006
I think Hereford and Macc will do well to get 4 points each out of their remaining games. We should be looking at 5 at worst, with as many as 9 not unthinkable given our 3 home games.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Metal_Green_Mickey":7oemrreu said:

Agree with that Mickey. It may sound mad but I've really enjoyed this season football-wise. Although I hated, really hated the nightmare of administration and the Heaney-Guilfoyle debacle I feel closer to the club, players, new owner and fellow fans than ever before. When we could finally turn our full attention onto the football, the ups and downs have been wonderful and heart-breaking in turns and completely enthralling. I would never have believed I could feel such crushing despair simply following comments on an internet chat feed as I did that night Macclesfield grabbed that absurdly late equaliser. If we can survive then it will have been a great season and as I said to my eight year old lad just before our first win of the season - "years from now you'll be able to say that you were here when Argyle were bottom of the entire league and in our darkest days. There are very few football fans that can say that about their club."

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
Interesting that if things go really badly for us, there is a potential that on the last day we might have our league fate in the hands of Torquay :problem:

Mar 27, 2008
Relax guys! We could possibly have enough points already to be safe. We are staying up!!! Enjoy the last few games! :scarf: