Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Next year's team - do we really need a massive clear-out?

F

Fugazi

Quite a few posts on here today about the need for a huge change to the squad but, given the decent (if inconsistent) form since March, do we really need wholesale changes?

I'm happy with Cole as a keeper, and there can't be too many complaints with Berry, Max, Bhasera and Nelson as defenders supplemented by Branston and Wotton, both of whom I would retain for another year. Not convinced by Charles personally though.

Midfield was ok, but Cox was the main reason behind our improvement - his injury may have an impact on potentially signing him, but he would be a big player for us.
Hourihane is worth a place in the line-up, Young is a good sub, who I think will be a better player in a team that is not constantly fighting for its life and can take the game to the opposition, and Gurrieri was quality away from home and definitely worth retaining.
Not a fan of PCH but, in fairness, he did make an impact on occasion from the bench.
Joe Bryan would start every game as he is quality going forward and tracking back, but doubtful that Bristol will release him now they've dropped a division.
Not sure about Lowry's situation, and not seen enough of him to rate him but the Chesterfield fans I spoke to before out game loved him.
The key to our midfield for me is Cox - if he returns to full fitness and we can get him he would be a great signing.

Main issue was clearly our forwards. Griffiths, Madjo, Ugwu, Chadwick, Feeney tells its own story, and I agree that our squad needs an overhaul in terms of strikers. I would persevere with Reid as he was a handful, but not likely to be the answer in terms of 20 goals a season. Lecointe and Harvey on the bench are good options and hopefully Harvey can get more game time next season if we're not fighting for our lives again.
For me I would release Chadwick and Feeney and focus on getting 2 strikers in to supplement Reid and the 2 youngsters on the bench.

As I said, I don't think we are miles away from having a decent team, but a lot is dependant on whether we can sign the likes of Cox, Bryan and Reid. Happy with the defence, midfield is ok, but the attack needs an overhaul.

Just an opinion folks....

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't think we need to make any defensive changes.

However we need a complete clear out of all mids and strikers, with the exception of Hourihane, if we could get cox it would be amazing.

Nov 4, 2012
We have a decent GK and Defence, Hourihane has come good under Sheridan, need another Cox-esque CM, a couple of wingers to replace Bryan and Banton, we have really missed Banton's flair tge last two games, try to keep hold of Reid and get another striker to play off of him, get rid of Feeney, Chadders, Lowry, Charles, Gilmartin, and PCH.

C

Cobi Budge.

PAFC94":blnxuip5 said:
We have a decent GK and Defence, Hourihane has come good under Sheridan, need another Cox-esque CM, a couple of wingers to replace Bryan and Banton, we have really missed Banton's flair tge last two games, try to keep hold of Reid and get another striker to play off of him, get rid of Feeney, Chadders, Lowry, Charles, Gilmartin, and PCH.

Its a real shame, he's a good player constantly getting injured.

And disagree regarding Gilmartin, need a good back up

Oct 28, 2011
We don't need a mssive clear out.

We need 2 or 3 good quality attacking players to ease the pressure on what has been a very solid looking defense.

:scarf: :scarf:

Dec 28, 2010
Goalkeeper and defence are fine so would leave well alond and do everything contract wise to retain them bar Anthony Charles who i dont rate.

Midfield needs additions in an attacking sense and if we can get Bryan on loan then great but highly doubtfull, agree with everyones opinion on Lee Cox, i would sign him but obviously the shoulder will keep him out of the early season so the squad would have to deal with that.

Forwards does 100% need overhauling, obviously keeping young guns Harvey and Lecointe but clearing and releasing the rest. A minimum of 5 strikers at a club is a must in my opinion so sign 3 to add to Tyler and Matt. I do like Reid so there is a case for another return to Home park for him but i also feel Matt Lecointe is very close to the same level and could even be better from what i have seen, he has improved under the new training regime he has been under, looks stronger, faster and sharper so the jury for me is out on Reidy for a moment.

N

NZGreen

Yes. That team is the 4th worst in the professional leagues. If it wasn't for Sheridan it would have been the worst.

Dec 3, 2005
The defense is NOT the 4th worst in the Football League, in fact it's the 5th BEST in this division!!!

The problems everyone knows is in midfield and upfront.

We need a goalscorer for certain.

N

NZGreen

djg145":iwqvycar said:
The defense is NOT the 4th worst in the Football League, in fact it's the 5th BEST in this division!!!

The problems everyone knows is in midfield and upfront.

We need a goalscorer for certain.

League tables dont lie.

Apr 1, 2009
All depends what you aspire to next year? Most on this thread want to keep the majority of current players. That's maybe ok if you want mid table, but it won't win you promotion. No one mentions the word "budget"" either - it is a somewhat crucial word in a thread like this!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
This time last year the general concensus on here was that the defence was strong. Supporters were saying that the form of the defence at the back end of 2011/12 was going to continue into the new season and be the backbone of a season away from any relegation battles.

By the end of October it was evident that that was utter tosh.

Are the same assumptions being made here?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
NZGreen":ffp7w66j said:
Yes. That team is the 4th worst in the professional leagues. If it wasn't for Sheridan it would have been the worst.
But under Sheridan it hasn't been anything like the 4th worst.

Our form over the 19 games since he started would have us 8th. That's was this group of players and with the handicap of some really bad luck. We haven't got a terrible squad of players intrinsically; we've got a squad that needs to be managed correctly and needs additions to compliment them.

Not a big clear out but no retaining players for sentimental reasons either.It's vital that we strike that balance right.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Yes Lundan cabbage :D .
The reason we struggled this season was we persevered with players who had nearly got us relegated the previous season.
Lets not do it all over again.
We have become complacent to defeatism.
We have just lost at Rochdale.
On the squad front remember ageing central defender Darren Purses early season form ? Now can we gamble on Brano and Wotton to come through another pre-season fully fit, in form and hungry?
Actually i'm not sure about Branno's distribution being adequate either. I would have him in the squad but bring in another younger beast.
Gilmartin ? no thanks he is not going to get a job at a league club surely. Mebbe go for a loan keeper from a higher league to compete for the Jersey.
Max B ? no disrespect to the man but he is an example of where we could up the quality by replacing him, in my opinion.
We need to go for quality not quantity.
IMO Hourihane and Berry would be worth holding on to as development players, I dont know of their contractual situation, but I will quite understand if they dont figure in first team plans nest season.
We all approximately agree on the striker situation I would imagine.