Swansea: BBC documentary | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Swansea: BBC documentary

Jan 27, 2012
I notice that there is a documentary on the BBC tonight about the rise and fall of Swansea City.

I think Argyle fans who have experienced recent seasons know all about the "fall" side of things, but I think it would be interesting to hear about how Swansea have risen and what those running Argyle can learn from this.

Listening to Talksport a couple of months ago, there was a man involved in making a film about Swansea City (I think it is a different film to the one shown on the BBC tonight) who talked about how the club put things back together again after hitting their lowest point. He mentioned Argyle and Bradford as being potentially big clubs and how, like Swansea, we have potential to reach the top if properly run.

Of course a big part of Swansea's success was a 20,000 stadium (now too small and being extended) !!

Dec 7, 2006
gaspargomez":1vtt8t7y said:
I notice that there is a documentary on the BBC tonight about the rise and fall of Swansea City.

I think Argyle fans who have experienced recent seasons know all about the "fall" side of things, but I think it would be interesting to hear about how Swansea have risen and what those running Argyle can learn from this.

Listening to Talksport a couple of months ago, there was a man involved in making a film about Swansea City (I think it is a different film to the one shown on the BBC tonight) who talked about how the club put things back together again after hitting their lowest point. He mentioned Argyle and Bradford as being potentially big clubs and how, like Swansea, we have potential to reach the top if properly run.

Of course a big part of Swansea's success was a 20,000 stadium (now too small and being extended) !!
Pity you had to write that last sentence - I fear this thread is going to head off in a tiresomely predictable direction now :sad:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I wonder if they will have some reminders of their "way up" like the large pools of urine in the gents at the Vetch !

Had to throw my shoes away after the last visit there.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Yes Swansea were/are an excellent role model, and they prove that playing the right way can get you into the PL basically.

Jan 27, 2012
Not sure why this got moved- the thread is about Argyle more than Swansea !
It must be those fussy moderators again.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
gaspargomez":dz5q50td said:

Its all about Swansea I doubt will Argyle will even get a mention.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
gaspargomez":1wn08jjk said:

Nope, the subject matter is about Swansea.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Very interesting programme (about Swansea :twisted: ), certainly the bit about their lowest ebb, playing Hull for their place in the FL brought back all of those feelings I felt at Rochdale. I guess Swansea is the dream, it's wht days like Rochdale are all about, getting through the bad times to see the good times again.

Hopefully one day we'll be talked about as a fall and rise story, for now though I'd take a good year in League 2, one step at a time...

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
r4h4al":3vz27dap said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A59444670

I remember the fans banging on about how we should be more like Swansea and its good that other clubs like Norwich and Southampton are following in their footsteps to the premier legue.
I think when judged over their entire histories, Swansea are rather following in Norwich and Southampton's footsteps!

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Their rise is pretty impressive without a mega millionaire back-rolling them and some good scouting both at home and abroad.

Trouble is how much higher can Swansea go?

7th and winning a cup is probably the best they can "hope" for ...(still a great achievement)

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
Watched the programme, somewhat sentimental view but the club has done it and risen through the leagues......all those people who think Argyle can never do something similar.....what was that song from South Pacific with the line....you got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true! One day, just one day................

Dec 7, 2006
I think a comparison with Blackpool would probably fit us better than Swansea, tbh. Fan base, crowds, stadium, likely future (Championship and no further) - spookily similar. :think: