The Future (Cornish recognition) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Future (Cornish recognition)

Mork

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
I've tried to post this subject with humour but have been misunderstood, so I'm not a troll or City fan, just a fan trying to think ahead as I believe all clubs will have to adapt, which I know will fly in the face of tradition and values people hold dear!
My point is that our fantastic club generates a lot of support from Cornwall, these fans will always support Argyle even though I feel there number may be decreasing, many fans are armchair supporters only willing to cross the bridge when good times comes, nevertheless they are still a vital potential income provider for the club. Having witnessed the recent success and subsequent failure of Truro City, many Argyle fans stopped going to Plymouth instead heading for Truro for cheaper and more convenient football, I believe that one day the model of the Cornish Pirates will be used in football and thus becoming a Cornish team and not just a Truro team for example.
Potentially Plymouth Argyle could lose thousands of fans, something I don't want to happen! Would it not be prudent of the club to embrace this support by making it more inclusive in the club, hopefully the people of Plymouth are proud of the support Cornish people give to there club, but it shouldn't be taken for granted and I seriously believe its full potential for supporting Argyle hasn't been realized, there is approx. population of 475000 in Cornwall, if the club is smart, it will maximise this potential support by including it within in the club,eg; including a chough on the club crest, or playing in black & gold socks or anything that will let the Cornish people no that this is your club aswell so you come and support Plymouth Argyle and feel proud , there is a huge marketing opportunity for this and I believe one of the ingredients required if my dream of seeing Argyle in the premier league.
What do you think? What are your ideas?

Jan 6, 2004
No, Plymouth Argyle is a Devon club. Cornish fans are more than welcome, but if they want a club with a Cornish identity they will need to set up their own.

The Cornish are always talking about their identity, well us Plymothians and Devonians feel the same, we just do not wear it so much on our sleeves.

How would the Cornish feel if it was suggested the Cornish Pirates wore green socks or the Plymouth City crest to attract fans from Plymouth/Devon? There is your answer

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Green_Flash":2ri56hwy said:
No, Plymouth Argyle is a Devon club. Cornish fans are more than welcome, but if they want a club with a Cornish identity they will need to set up their own.

The Cornish are always talking about their identity, well us Plymothians and Devonians feel the same, we just do not wear it so much on our sleeves.

How would the Cornish feel if it was suggested the Cornish Pirates wore green socks or the Plymouth City crest to attract fans from Plymouth/Devon? There is your answer
Please don't take this the wrong way,I know your very proud Devonians and like I said there are loads of us that will keep on supporting Argyle just as it is, this is about the future and yes being in a small way inclusive, what's wrong with strengthening a tie , Im not trying to be divisive the exact opposite, so if there's potential there why not take advantage of it.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
I am really not sure that Truro's spell of success led to a significant number of Cornish based Argyle supporters deserting. Had we gone into the Conference, or worse, as a result of the Todd/Stapleton fiasco, then that picture may have changed but I can only see Cornish support for Argyle strengthening - particularly if (when) we get a promotion (or two).
The only response re colours is that, when there was a thread about designs for the next home shirt, someone produced what I thought was a superb design for the home kit based upon the flag of Devon, and for the away kit using that of Cornwall.

Jan 6, 2004
Tssk, next you will want the club called Peninsular Argyle or some such nonsense. Football clubs are identified with towns or cities not counties or geographical areas. I suspect that a large proportion of the support for most clubs comes from outside the city boundaries but I dont think that is a reason for diluting or changing a winning formula (city identification) which has made the sport the best supported in the world.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
An interesting point although the chance of a Cornish club progressing beyond where Truro City are now seems very distant unless someone is prepared to chuck a huge amount of money at it like Evans did at Cornish Pirates. The Pirates could easily disappear from whence it came without a new stadium along with any hopes that Truro City could progress any further on their own.

If a Cornish team did make it to the football league their support would be no more than Torquay get unless they progressed to the Championship when they would probably get the similar gates to Yeovil at that level. In the unlikely event of a Cornish side in the Premier maybe people would go the other way over the Tamar from Plymouth bit these 'fans' wouldn't go to Argyle anyway unless they were also at that level.

Jan 6, 2004
I think perhaps the Cornish are unusual (possibly along with Yorkshire) in identifying more with a county than their nearest town or city (hence Cornish pirates) but please dont seek to impose that on Plymouth Argyle.

Lundan Cabbie

โšช๏ธ Pasoti Visitor โšช๏ธ
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
And how about Somerset Cricket Club add a Devon crest to their badge because many Devonians trek up to Taunton for their Cricket fix.

Stupid idea

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Green_Flash":3ncw0oui said:
I think perhaps the Cornish are unusual (possibly along with Yorkshire) in identifying more with a county than their nearest town or city (hence Cornish pirates) but please dont seek to impose that on Plymouth Argyle.
Plymouth Argyle is a great club as is, maximising its potential is something we all want, a small subtle change perhaps for one season alone would not do any harm, Man U & Spurs regularly change there crest, surly we can, we cant ignore whats happening at Hull & Cardiff so lets stay one step ahead.

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Lundan Cabbie":30td1ch8 said:
And how about Somerset Cricket Club add a Devon crest to their badge because many Devonians trek up to Taunton for their Cricket fix.

Stupid idea
I Thought you may be more open minded, this to me is great way to recognise the Cornish support, consolidate and build on it, we accept sponsors on our shirts, surly recognising a great support is and maximising its support is the way forward.

Jan 6, 2004
Am happy for club to take whatever necessary steps to market in cornwall, including advertising, provision of transport, support for the cornish supporters club or whatever. But the brand for the last century has been Plymouth Argyle. It is the city's club and I would not want that brand diluted (the university tried it years ago with "polytechnic south west" it was a disaster).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green_Flash":6gcmrkj7 said:

Technically it's a Devon club, yes. But we all know that without Cornish support and players we'd be up slack alley. As an institution that sits slap bang in the middle of Devon and Cornwall, why not make the club represent the whole peninsula, and in doing so reward the shedloads of fans that travel from the west?

Jan 6, 2004
Because clubs base their identity on the cities they are in and that is the formula that attracts fans, not just from the city but from the surrounding areas - that is true of every club in the country. As you say, Cornish fans already come to Argyle in large numbers.

We could go the cricket route and name clubs after counties rather than cities but I dont think it is quite as successful a formula...

Mork

Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Green_Flash":2mtqxttp said:
Am happy for club to take whatever necessary steps to market in cornwall, including advertising, provision of transport, support for the cornish supporters club or whatever. But the brand for the last century has been Plymouth Argyle. It is the city's club and I would not want that brand diluted (the university tried it years ago with "polytechnic south west" it was a disaster).
I also wouldn't want the brand diluted either, only enhanced, by road now it can be quicker to get to Exeter rather than Plymouth, now Im not saying any Argyle fan would convert to that lot, but neutral fans or young fans now have options, lets consolidate Cornish supporters as being Argyle only, it only has to be subtle, and maybe for a short period of time, but can we afford to let this potential go?