Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Absolutely rubbish first 45 from Argyle. Thomas fine going forward but a gaping hole at left-back. Team wise another of those performances that reminded me more of the autumn than the winter.

2) Alessandra and Reid the only players in green shirts to come out of the first 45 with any credit at all. Harvey was largely anonymous and Blanchard a liability with every pass he made.

3) Soft free-kick, which despite the theatrical dive was a foul by Blanchard, allowed Oxford the chance to set up an easy finish. Made even easier by Cole running backwards and forwards along his line without actually making any attempt to intercept the crosses.

4) Crap refereeing and officials performance but that should take nothing from Oxford's management who out thought Sheridan from the off, exploiting the space behind the wing-backs, especially behind Thomas who is not a wing back.

5) Second-half started as badly as the first ended. Blanchard clearly pulled back Kitson who dived theatrically and the ref produced the red.

6) Sheridan made the changes. Surprisingly he left Thomas at left-back and sure enough first real attack down that side and Nelson (who had a good second 45) was left with 2 and no chance.

7) Through a mixture of strong Oxford defending and inept attacking play Argyle rarely had a decent shot on goal. Showumni didn't look much of a threat.

8 ) Poor tactical display by Sheridan. It was obvious within 15 minutes of the start that 3-5-2 wasn't going to work and we needed 4 at the back but nope Sheridan stuck with it. Blanchard's performance - stupid at best.

9) More than half the crowd had gone by the time the final whistle went. So that's that then, season over. Hopefully now Sheridan will go back to 4-4-2 and start some more of the kids and we can start thinking about next season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Number 8 sums it up for me.

Mar 18, 2006
Awful performance , game was over as soon as Oxford scored. Left as soon as the second went in . Please do not criticise my support , just because I chose not to stay and sit in silence for the remaining 30 minutes them boo the team off.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Bloody rubbish.

Poor crowd really for such a big game.

Shocking away support.

Results even went our way.

We're just not good enough but today we looked all over the place. No shape. Midfield non existent. Pathetic.

Apr 5, 2008
Just don't understand how the team differs so much when they are away.on this performance we need a mass clear out again this summer,and still have little confidence in Sheridan either.Extremely disappointing end to the season this is turning out to be.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Started with what might have been called a Pasoti team, with favourites Gurrieri, Thomas and Harvey all starting. A shame then that they were probably the worst of a poor lot in an awful first-half.

Tyler looked lost in midfield and contributed little, while Gurrieri seemed to surrender possession at every opportunity. Thomas though was woeful and rarely have I seen a more inept performance without the ball. From the unforgiveable shirking of a tackle in the second minute, to a lack of interest in working for the team, and finally the weak headed attempt from 3 yards. Quite how he stayed on so long is a mystery.

In mitigation I suppose it was Sheridan who decided to start him and once agin his tactics were left wanting. From the first 5 minutes you could see they had done there homework with strikers and midfielders picking holes in the central 3 defenders. Nothing changed much materially until his hand was forced by Blanchard's stupid sending off. May I suggest he sits up in the stands for the next game to see what everyone else can see.

We did show a bit of spirit in the second-half but it was all futile really. Kitson and Constable in particular, and Oxford in general were far superior, belying their recent form.

Results mean we still have a chance, but one wonders how after what was on offer today.

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
mervyn":2hmkgxan said:
I disagree about the ref's performance. We were too slow and fouling all over the place. he could only react to what was happening in front of him

I saw a completely different game to you then, I thought the ref was awful to be honest! However, Oxford were by far the better team and deserved to win......but I really hope they don't go up as I can't stand some of their players.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Everything fell apart in this game and after that poor performance we don't deserve to be in with a chance of the play-offs and yet amazingly upon amazingly we still have a slight chance courtesy of other results.

We started really badly, Oxford despite their recent run of defeats, were more up for the game than we were.
We were lethargic, we gave the ball away, there was no pressure on the Oxford defence and there was no urgency.

The one time we put a move together Thomas was through on goal but the linesman pulled him back for an offside decision but everyone in the stadium could see he was on-side.
The linesman was then given ironic cheers throughout the game whenever he got a decision correct while he responded by making hand gestures behind his back aimed at the fans sat behind hm in the Lyndhurst.

The ref was also poor and gave most decisions to Oxford although Blanchard deserved his second yellow and subsequent red card, it was very poor from him, he didn't need to pull back the Oxford striker especially when already sitting on a yellow. Although Blanchard didn't deserve his first yellow card, it was a poor decision from the ref.

That said, the awful display from the officials shouldn't detract from our poor performance.

The Oxford goal was a long time coming and when it did there was no surprise.
They should have added more but missed a sitter from close range.

Thomas had a header cleared off the line when he really sure have buried the chance from six yards out.

We didn't really start the second half with much more urgency than the first, we still looked disjointed and poor old Nelson still had to play left-back and left sided centre-back.

Blanchard then got his booking and it was game and most likely season over.

The subs were ready to come on just before Blanchard was sent-off, a rare early move from Sheridan. The red card changed his thinking and the subs sat down although we did briefly rally and started attacking Oxford so that might have also affected his thinking.

When the subs did arrive it was Blizzard for Wotton which was a waste of a sub, surely Banton would have been a better option?

The second goal killed us off and we looked a beaten team.

We now have to make up five points (because our GD is so poor) in four games, a tall order but not impossible.

Only Reid, Gurrieri, Nelson and possibly Alessandra can come out of this with any credit, too many players lacked the fight and urgency for a game of this importance, Oxford simply wanted it more.

Harvey was completely lost in midfield and totally different to how he played against Newport.
Thomas flattered to deceive and bottled any 50/50 challenges but did put in some good crosses. He didn't play as a wing-back, more as a winger. I wouldn't want him on my side in a relegation fight, the perils of signing players on short contracts with an eye on pastures new for next season.

Showunmi didn't have an influence on the game like he did at Newport, both he and Reid were regularly man-handled by the defenders but were never going to get a free-kick with Mick Russell in charge.

Cole still fails to command his goal line let alone his six yard box.

The space behind the wing-backs is our Achilles heel, all opposition managers know it and today was no different. Sheridan was tactically outwitted but it's swings and roundabouts because he got his tactics spot on against Newport.

It could have all been so different if we started with a good momentum. Plain and simple we are an inconsistent team with an inconsistent manager.

Dec 7, 2006
Utterly spineless, clueless shambles from start to finish yet again. Christ knows how we've ever managed to climb this high in the table. Tactical nouse, passion, ability once again in very short supply by Argyle - Oxford had us sussed from the off and, thanks to Sheridans lack of vision and variation, didnt have to worry about countering any sort of tactic shift. If he decided to eff off in the summer then I for one won't be shedding any tears. This was as bad as against Exeter, I'm afraid. :furious:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Tony_Flags":5eafaq4v said:
It was obvious in 5 mins the wing backs were wrong. Why the hell we didn't amend. Sheridan's fault. Sorry.
Totally agree. Outclassed tactically by Gary flipping Waddock, nice going Sheridan.

Same old story.

Strikers isolated, crap movement off the ball, no organisation, tackles shirked all over the pitch.

Got a good laugh at the people slating the referee for sending Blanchard off - most blatant second yellow you'll see. First one was down the other end from me but looked like a yellow too from a distance.

Thomas at left wing back was suicide, Oxford spotted it and got in behind us time and again early on. It was drawing Nelson out and leaving a nice big gap in the penalty area for Oxford to exploit. With Wotton having an off-game we were so so open - without posing much of a threat at the other end. Thomas should have scored with his header, it was weak and the keeper did just enough.

Berry deserves man of the match purely for two excellent tackles in the penalty area.

This "counter-attack" crap has to go. There is absolutely no point in playing a long ball up to a striker when he is double-marked, and having no midfielders within 30 yards of them to try and pick up the second ball. At least Thomas gave us some width going forward but as others have already said he isn't a team player and playing him as a wing back is daft.

Luckily Sheridan is good at signing a few players too good for this division (McCormick, Alessandra, Reid). Because tactically he is hopeless.

Ratings:

Cole 6

Gurrieri 6
Blanchard 4
Trotman 6
Nelson 6
Thomas 5

Harvey 5
Wotton 3
Hourihane 6

Reid 6
Alessandra 6