Reuben's future | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Reuben's future

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
I think that the argument for him staying is that he can settle here with a manager and backroom staff with stability and a vision. This manager has got the best out of him and seeing as he has already travelled a lot at the tender age of 25, it makes a lot of sense for him to stay.

The fans love him, he's got a guaranteed starting spot, he's actually very good, and if he wins PotY then that will surely only increase the chance of him staying.

We'll do very, very well to replace him if he leaves.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I'm not totally convinced about which Rueben we'll have should he sign for next year.

He has by his standards, had a fantastic season and being Argyle's first 20 goal a season man since forever he would be a fine signing. Where I'm not convinced is, does he have it in him to reproduce that form going forward? If this is his high water mark, will he be content to have that on his CV or will it spur him on to get 20+ again next year? Also, he does have a problem playing alongside Banton. Whether this is down to Banton grabbing the glory (loan period) or Banton trying to play for the team (return period) one or both players do not produce when together. Conversely, he has blossomed with Lewis alongside.

Glad it's not my head aching over that one.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Ade the green":mkxn0eas said:
I'm not totally convinced about which Rueben we'll have should he sign for next year.

He has by his standards, had a fantastic season and being Argyle's first 20 goal a season man since forever he would be a fine signing. Where I'm not convinced is, does he have it in him to reproduce that form going forward? If this is his high water mark, will he be content to have that on his CV or will it spur him on to get 20+ again next year? Also, he does have a problem playing alongside Banton. Whether this is down to Banton grabbing the glory (loan period) or Banton trying to play for the team (return period) one or both players do not produce when together. Conversely, he has blossomed with Lewis alongside.

Glad it's not my head aching over that one.

You're right to think this because it happens. Having said that, when he first arrived over 12 months ago, and he wasn't playing too well, I was really surprised because he's a real goalscorer; his hat-trick against us is one example for a start. I think trying to keep him is very important. Next season, he might only score 8-10 goals but he's a very, very talented player for this level.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think Reuben is going anywhere.

He loves it down here and is very settled.

Dec 7, 2006
I really hope he does stay but wouldn't be at all surprised if some supposed 'big club' club like Portsmouth came sniffing after him. :mad:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":2sfnktc8 said:

Sincerely hope you're right, but I was told he never moved out of Bristol and his roots remain in his home town. Living there wouldn't make it too difficult a transition to change to a number of clubs.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
spowell92":vlef0ckm said:
IJN":vlef0ckm said:

Sincerely hope you're right, but I was told he never moved out of Bristol and his roots remain in his home town. Living there wouldn't make it too difficult a transition to change to a number of clubs.

Including Argyle.

Reid's nomadic career path always seemed to be about finding a club where he felt wanted, he is our Player of the season so it's time for him to settle down.
Yeovil were a League One club when he signed for them so it's possible a contract offer from us would equate to a wage increase.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
PL2 3DQ":3oz16je6 said:
spowell92":3oz16je6 said:
IJN":3oz16je6 said:

Including Argyle.

Reid's nomadic career path always seemed to be about finding a club where he felt wanted, he is our Player of the season so it's time for him to settle down.
Yeovil were a League One club when he signed for them so it's possible a contract offer from us would equate to a wage increase.

Absolutely, we're in the running to keep him for certain. But I have no doubt that there'll be plenty of very good options available to him that probably won't require him altering his private life too dramatically - as far as I understand it to be anyway.

We should definitely be able to compete with Yeovil as far as wages are concerned, the bigger question is whether we can compete with whoever else undoubtedly comes after his signature. I would be gutted if he left, I'll make no bones about it - I absolutely love watching the guy play football.

Sep 15, 2012
If I was Reid I would run out last match of the season
and stick 2 fingers up to all those who have given him so much grief throughout the end of last season and all this season
He`s been the player of the season and the people who slated him (especially) a certain young section of PASOTI
are the reason why I don`t think he will sign for us in the summer

Feb 21, 2011
When you live in Bristol without any real urge to move your options are somewhat limited, Argyle is probably a good option unless Bristol City, Rovers, Swindon or Oxford are interested.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Qoo3939L":20rtv7z0 said:
If I was Reid I would run out last match of the season
and stick 2 fingers up to all those who have given him so much grief throughout the end of last season and all this season
He`s been the player of the season and the people who slated him (especially) a certain young section of PASOTI
are the reason why I don`t think he will sign for us in the summer
He's already stuck his 2 fingers up at them by proving them all wrong on the pitch!

Oct 24, 2010
He'll have options that's for sure. Any striker who scores twenty goals in a season at this level will be in demand.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
esmer":22d61qoz said:
He'll have options that's for sure. Any striker who scores twenty goals in a season at this level will be in demand.

Exactly. I sadly reckon the odds of him being Argyle's main striker next season is circa 5 to 1, at least. It has been said on here that he apparently likes playing for JS. But for that, I think the odds would be wider.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
If he stays fine, but I won't be too upset if he goes elsewhere.

Personally, I don't think there will be a queue of potential suitors looking to sign him. There's a reason why he was bombed out of Yeovil and the word gets around in football. We may be the best offer he gets.

If he does stay, it is essential that Sheridan finds the right partner for him and sticks with it.

We don't want Reid playing up front on his own of in the middle of three with the other 2 stuck out wide which Sheridan had done a number of times this season. Three up front doesn't work because they are each isolated and we can't keep the ball up top.

Whereas 2 up front playing close together has been successful, e.g. Reid/Lavery and Reid/Alessandra.

Whatever happens, it cannot be the dreadful Morgan, but I think the loan signing of Showumni is Sheridan telling him he has no future at Home Park despite belong under contract for next season.