Fan Engagement | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Fan Engagement

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Today, the Plymouth Argyle Board hold their scheduled Board meeting.

We do not know the Agenda, but likely to include and up to date financial statement, boosted by recent results (the good ones!) and Season ticket sales. It is also likely to have a briefing on the progress or otherwise of the new stand and HHP generally. It may in passing have reference to the decision of the PASB to disband.

For all Argyle fans the state and status of the playing staff and our current league position is paramount although attitudes to both may vary as we see daily on PASOTI and elsewhere.

And this is quite correct because in essence, this is what we are all about and what fuels life long addiction.

However, as we also see on PASOTI and elsewhere there are other, some would say secondary; some would say paramount, concerns. The Board are also aware of these, hence the PASB was brought into being to give fans vent to these through an organised structure whilst acting as a critical friend to ensure we, as a club, were kept on track and did not slip back into dark recesses of Administration. That was and is the narrative followed.

The interim PASB did itself no favours by and it will always be remembered (?) for taking 9 attempts to define what its terms of reference were. Nor did it help when the election, overseen and organised by the ERS manages to include children. Sorry, but you just could not make this up even if scripted by Ben Elton.

But the Board did not cover itself in glory by not trusting the PASB with news of not 1 but 3 new appointment of Directors to the Board, normally the day after we had had a joint meeting. Nor thinking we had any constructive comments to make regarding the internal workings of the new stand or ST pricing, to name but 2. The latter being the straw that broke the camels back.

So now as the PAFC Board meet they must decide if their experiment in "Fan Engagement" dies with the PASB or can be morphed into a new, improved version.

There will be voices that say that the Trust should be that body. It is clear the Trust have an important role to play in representing their members views. It is equally clear that they are not going to have sole rights any time soon when their membership figures are as low as a % of fans attending games. That is not a criticism of the Trust, just a simple statement of sense. It is also clear that you can not ignore the regional/other supporters groups. You can not shun the 80 year old Plymouth Argyle Supporters Club or the other well supported groups in Plymouth and around the country. But it is equally clear the Board do not intend talking at length to each group individually as stated at a recent PAFC/PASB meeting. It is clear the election process was flawed, cost a great deal of money and led to accusations that the PASB was not independent of the Club. Any new group must either be financed by the constituent groups or avoid the need to spend in the first place by avoiding elections.

Amongst the PASB members, who have taken soundings from individuals and groups alike it is clear there is an appetite for Fan Engagement (FE). Despite differences in nuance, there is a clear view that collectively it can and should be "part of the DNA of the Club" as Jon B memorably put it and which at our meeting on Saturday we all echoed.

Whilst it is clear that in broad terms, the fans current representatives know where (FE) should go we need to know from this Board if they are so inclined and if they are, on what terms they wish to. It has been said that the Board wish to engage, it is only left to discover on what terms.

As always, I am an optimist, having already stated my intention not to seek election (when that was still an option) I wish any new group of fans representatives well as I believe it is not only in the fans interest, but as importantly, it is also in the clubs interest to engage and be seen to be meaningfully engage. This is not that radical, it is what good companies have always done, look at Waitrose.

Oct 24, 2010
Would it not be a good idea,Tony, if the various supporter's groups affiliated themselves to the AFT so there is one united fan's voice which the Board can't ignore. I'm afraid the PASB is dead in the water.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
esmer":gkki2hrz said:
Would it not be a good idea,Tony, if the various supporter's groups affiliated themselves to the AFT so there is one united fan's voice which the Board can't ignore. I'm afraid the PASB is dead in the water.

Seems quite logical to me. The supporters groups in isolation are easy to ignore - having a united voice can only be a good thing.

Hi Tony

It was me trying to call you earlier....

On to more serious matters.

Football being football as it is, its politics does NOT lend itself to be integral with fan representative groups UNLESS the Club is facing extinction or the like.

It simply does NOT work - you know, you have suffered as other friends have done so - to name Wozzer and Graham Clark ?

Let the PAFC Board live and die by the sword - any fans group will make NO DIFFERENCE to any of them or what they do.

It is THEIR Club, whether we think its ours or not.

A good attempt by you, Ed and PASB plus the AFT - but neither is the way forward.

I do not believe there IS a way forward.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It would be right for the club to inform the fan base of relevant happenings abound the club and hear feedback on some items from time to time but at the end of the day it will only be lip service. You can't expect to dictatate how they conduct THEIR business and the finances of the club are certainly nobody's business other than the board.

There is a saying that the owners of any football club are only custodians. That my friends is just the fairytale. The reality is, the ins and outs of their business really is none of our business.

Lundan Cabbie":r1idteuc said:
It would be right for the club to inform the fan base of relevant happenings abound the club and hear feedback on some items from time to time but at the end of the day it will only be lip service. You can't expect to dictatate how they conduct THEIR business and the finances of the club are certainly nobody's business other than the board.

There is a saying that the owners of any football club are only custodians. That my friends is just the fairytale. The reality is, the ins and outs of their business really is none of our business.

So we should just sit back, put our feet up and not in any way, shape or form attempt to hold them accountable? I think we did that before and look what happened.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":2eurfojv said:
Lundan Cabbie":2eurfojv said:

So we should just sit back, put our feet up and not in any way, shape or form attempt to hold them accountable? I think we did that before and look what happened.

The sad reality is if the mess up they do THEIR money, not that that is any consolation to any football supporter. You just have to have faith in them and in James Brent, wasn't he the chosen one by the Trust?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Sadly football is first and foremost a business and secondly a community asset, I cannot envisage any scenario whereby the Owners will divulge that which is "commercial in confidence, i.e. finances, to include profits/loss/cash flow, any information which will be of use to competitors who might also be in the hotel/cinema industry etc. We can but hope that the current and any future owners will have the welfare of the club and fanbase at heart, but the sad reality is that they could bail at any time and then who knows what could happen. We the fans support the club, we do not own it.