Progress Season | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Progress Season

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
I'm by no means very happy, but this is a progress season and I think that deep down we all knew that really. You can't just walk this league, it wont happen. Pompey thought they would and look at where they've ended up.

We've recently had a very good run, but clearly aren't ready for League 1 yet. Our championship days are over and we wont get back there for years now. Unfortunately, this means we can't expect the same quality players, managing, performances or whatever. It's Division 4 for a reason.

I think we need to let Sheridan build a team. From the hints he's given so far I'd guess there's going to be a pretty big clear out again. Admittedly, that's sort of his problem, he brought a lot of these players in and many simply haven't performed.. Boco, Morgan and Blackman to name a few. Yet, I don't think we can put all blame on him. These players came with decent reports and who would have honestly turned down Boco or Morgan, both of whom have done it for other teams in this league, why shouldn't it work for us.

After all the years of pain, I don't think that one season of rebuilding is too much to have to put up with.

Give him til Christmas and see how its going.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Progress or no progress, the drop off in the past 4 games with what was achievable is alarming and damn right pathetic.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
greengenes":st7iidp5 said:
Whats the guarantee we progress next season ? It could be worse next season .There will be some bloody good clubs in this division next season all making progress - don't be surprised to see Luton go straight up for one . This has been a pee poor division this season and next year will be a lot harder . We need someone at the helm who knows how to change a game .

Right gg, you're beginning to get quite annoying and repetitive with this now so after this I'm turning PASOTI off for the evening. I ask of you this:

First imaging this scenario, you take over a club, somewhere a little way away that you have no affiliation towards. This club has had so many money problems and had fallen leagues and leagues, experiencing basically no success in years and had just suffered a lot.. Perhaps Portsmouth, as an example.

They've been relegated lots and just survived relegation. You take them, and despite not playing brilliant football, get them to 9th, not too far off the play-offs but with a dip in form at the end of the season.

Then, you go online and see a third of the fanbase want you sacked. Do you expect this? No of course not, because what you've given them is progress. A fresh start and a foundation to build on.. Are you happy with the season as a whole? Maybe not, but it's hardly worth being sacked.

This club needs stability, and right now we need to give it that.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
greengenes":11hvn5r9 said:
Whats the guarantee we progress next season ? It could be worse next season .There will be some bloody good clubs in this division next season all making progress - don't be surprised to see Luton go straight up for one . This has been a pee poor division this season and next year will be a lot harder . We need someone at the helm who knows how to change a game .

To be fair you can't blame Sheridan for a scenario which hasn't even happened yet.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Agreed. The majority of us would have taken a top half finish before the start of the season, it's only because we briefly looked like we might make the play-offs that has left so many wound up.

League 2 will be a lot tougher next year, that's for sure. I'd expect virtually all of the teams in and around the L1 drop zone, apart from Stevenage, to challenge straight away next year. Luton will probably be up there too. Bury should do well with Flitcroft in charge and Pompey will do better too.

A top seven finish for us next season has to be the minimum expectation though.

Mar 23, 2008
My concern is allowing him to build a team or more than likely a bloated squad and scattergun approach. He's got far more signings right than wrong and doesn't appear to sign players for a specified role in his preferred tactical approach.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
greengenes":2i52u0lj said:
Ollieargyle9":2i52u0lj said:
greengenes":2i52u0lj said:

To be fair you can't blame Sheridan for a scenario which hasn't even happened yet.

Er ...... I haven't .....

Well no not directly but there's no telling what next season has in store for us.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Deacster":2vyh4y1a said:
My concern is allowing him to build a team or more than likely a bloated squad and scattergun approach. He's got far more signings right than wrong and doesn't appear to sign players for a specified role in his preferred tactical approach.
"He's got far more signings right than wrong"

You cannot be serious, or is that a typo?

Three good signings - McCormick, Alessandra and Lavery - out of about a dozen or so including the loans.

It's easy to say "but look at what Port Vale did!", in terms of a club slightly 'bigger' than League Two getting promoted after a season of struggle.

For every Port Vale story there's been a dozen of where teams have struggled again, Bristol Rovers this season, us last season etc.

Admittedly, this season hasn't really been anything to write home about. There won't be any commemorative DVDs to mark this season. But it hasn't been a bad one. When Sheridan took us over, we were a team deeply mired in the poo. He kept us up last season and has turned us into an inconsistent but bloody good on our day team in this campaign.

I can understand certain fans' anger. But, as Ollie said, you can't blame Sheridan for something that hasn't happened yet. We might not do well next season but Sheridan, in my opinion, deserves to have a shot at promotion next season.

Feb 15, 2005
I'm not sure sacking JS is the way forward but our home form has been awful this season. I don't think we have won a game after conceding first, if true that is appalling. People on here see this season as progress, I see it as a small improvement in that we have not flirted with relegation. I am not satisfied with that because we have at times flattered to deceive, we need to make wholesale changes and that may include our manager.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
greengenes":3iinm0xs said:
I offer my services for free and I'll bring Graiser as head coach, Sue as physio, Tuggers as Communications Director, IJN as finance and you gg as Mr motivator. :thumbup: :scarf:

WE'LL DO IT :thumbs:

Jun 26, 2006
Progress - Yes of course it is . Albeit only minor progress. After Newport at home ( possibly the worst league game I have seen ) I could only see us escaping relegation because there might be two worse teams in the league again . However something changed and by hook or crook we managed to get ourselves on the coat tails of the play offs. The ensuing poor performances and at times lack of strength of purpose is what I think has frustrated the majority of supporters . We play too deep from a starting position which then makes it very difficult to get into and to affect the game . Push the back 4 up five yards which should automatically push the midfield up 10 yards . Making the link to the front players easier to achieve . It is up to the goalkeeper to control the space between him and the defenders and would need a near perfect pass from the opposition to split that space . I don't think it's that difficult and I don't know what the hell they work on in training . Last three games it's the start of the rebuilding process . Get Richards and Vassell back . Give them the three games and the opportunity to show if they have the ability to make it . Play River Allen for the same reason .Nothing to lose but next season to gain .

Jun 26, 2006
Why on earth " crook" came out as "scallywag " I will never understand . Also meant to say- Too often this season we have failed to start the games at a high tempo and have let the opposition dictate pace of the game , tactics etc . This needs to change.