The Lighter Moments | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Lighter Moments

B

Big Kev

On this rather depressing evening, I feel that an attempt to lift the mood might be in order. Can you recall any funny moments from following the Mighty Greens? On or off the pitch, memorable moments from following the Greens to try to temporarily mask the current disappointment.

My memorable moment was from the first time Argyle played Swansea at the Liberty Stadium, travelling to the ground, I put the details into the Sat Nav. I Arrived in Swansea and parked in a side street full of residents parking. A young lady walked past and I asked her if it was alright to park in that street to which she asked why I would want to park there. When I replied that it was for the football she told me the stadium was right over the other side of town!
The Sat Nav was still working on Vetch Field.
A mad dash ensued to get to the Liberty Stadium on time although I shouldn't have bothered as a disputed Jason Scotland penalty decided it.

Anyone else have any stories to share from their match day experiences?

COYG :scarf:

Aug 10, 2006
Big Kev":3rkee4qw said:
On this rather depressing evening, I feel that an attempt to lift the mood might be in order. Can you recall funny moments from following following the Mighty Greens? On or off the pitch, memorable moments from following the Greens to try to temporarily mask the current disappointment

My memorable moment was from the first time Argyle played Swansea at the Liberty Stadium, travelling to the ground, I put the details into the Sat Nav. I Arrived in Swansea and parked in a side street full of residents parking. A young lady walked past and I asked her if it was alright to park in that street to which she asked why I would want to park there. When I replied that it was for the football she told me the stadium was right over the other side of town!
The Sat Nav was still working on Ninian Park. A mad dash ensued to get to the Liberty Stadium on time although I shouldn't have bothered as a disputed Jason Scotland penalty decided it.

Anyone else have any stories to share from their match day experiences?

COYG :scarf:
Swansea never played at ninian park it was the vetch field

Dec 9, 2012
I forgot where I had parked my car at Wycombe a few weeks ago. The mean streets of Wycombe all look the same - and I was late / didn't pay enough attention / becoming forgetful etc etc

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Some years back I was working during holidays at The Good Companions in Mayflower St (is it still there?) and the regulars had organised a coach at midnight from the pub to Old Trafford for FA Cup 3rd round? We had Mariner etc and Man Utd were close to bottom of the league. My brother-in-law had made some home made ale which he and I consumed before going pub late on. It wasn't ready in any way :sick: and almost the whole trip was ''stop the bus I want a p** p** - even the hard shoulder and up the bank behind some bushes. :oops:
Lost 1-0 and McQueen kicked Mariner all over the park. :funny:

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":13ht7tze said:
McQueen didn't play. :facepalm:
It was all that home brew.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not really Bob, it had something to do with the fact that Mr McQueen was playing for Leeds United at the time. :greensmile:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
IJN":1sbumjjw said:
Not really Bob, it had something to do with the fact that Mr McQueen was playing for Leeds United at the time. :greensmile:
SO - I am still confused from 40 years back ????? Explains a lot :lol: Who was the Man Utd CB that was freaking awful. ?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Big Jim Holton (R.I.P) a beast that day. Johnny Hore did him though.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
tigertony":3d2fxn2n said:
Some years back I was working during holidays at The Good Companions in Mayflower St (is it still there?) and the regulars had organised a coach at midnight from the pub to Old Trafford for FA Cup 3rd round? We had Mariner etc and Man Utd were close to bottom of the league. My brother-in-law had made some home made ale which he and I consumed before going pub late on. It wasn't ready in any way :sick: and almost the whole trip was ''stop the bus I want a p** p** - even the hard shoulder and up the bank behind some bushes. :oops:
Lost 1-0 and McQueen kicked Mariner all over the park. :funny:
The Good Companions has been boarded up for some years now. It was an historic match inasmuch that George Best was left out by United. He told the manager that if he wasn[t good enough to play against Plymouth Argyle he may as well quit. He never played for United again and his next Football League outing was for Stockport County on 28 November 1975. And IJN, they did indeed go down!

Saturday 05-Jan-1974

FA Cup Round 3

Old Trafford, Manchester
Manchester Utd 1 Plymouth Argyle 0

Macari

Att: 31,810

1 Alex Stepney
2 Tony Young
3 Alex Forsyth
4 Brian Greenhoff
5 Jim Holton
6 Martin Buchan
7 Willie Morgan
8 Lou Macari
9 Brian Kidd
10 George Graham
11 Mick Martin
(Sammy McIlroy)

1 Jim Furnell
2 Colin Randell
3 Colin Sullivan
4 John Hore
5 David Provan
6 Neil Hague
7 Alan Welsh
8 Steve Davey
9 Paul Mariner
10 Ernie Machin
11 Alan Rogers
(Derek Rickard)

P

Paul_Roberts

The funniest thing I've ever seen at an Argyle match was when I asked the great Richard Mullender to take a picture of me with some flags before the Big @ Barnet match.

Richard was (and still is) a professor and could have won Mastermind, but photography obviously wasn't his strong point. He held the camera up to his face the wrong way round and the flash went off right in his eyes.

I still laugh about it now :lol:

F

forever green

When we played coventry a few seasons back the ball went into the Devonport and clinton morrison walked towards the stand to retrieve it. An argyle fan had the ball in his hands and was holding it out for him and as he got nearer he lobbed the ball over his head. Mr. Morrison wasn't best pleased to say the least but I thought it was comedy gold.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
The Good Companions has been boarded up for some years now. It was an historic match inasmuch that George Best was left out by United. He told the manager that if he wasn[t good enough to play against Plymouth Argyle he may as well quit. He never played for United again and his next Football League outing was for Stockport County on 28 November 1975. And IJN, they did indeed go down!

Saturday 05-Jan-1974

FA Cup Round 3

Old Trafford, Manchester
Manchester Utd 1 Plymouth Argyle 0

Macari

Att: 31,810

1 Alex Stepney
2 Tony Young
3 Alex Forsyth
4 Brian Greenhoff
5 Jim Holton
6 Martin Buchan