I'm No Manager So...... | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

I'm No Manager So......

Mar 14, 2009
Why was it that playing Blizzard and Wotton in a back 3 seemed to worry me in a tactical sense more than it did Sheridan. Three points...

1. He tried Blizzard at Bury and it failed.

2. Blizzard is never a centre back because he has no positional sense to be a CB, especially one in a back 3.

3. If you going to play 3 at the back the rule is all 3 have to have some kind of pace. We already been getting away with it when Trottman and Blanchard are in the back 3, but then we pick two guys even slower. You have to be able to have players who can cover ground quickly because you supposedly cover the wider areas with your wing-back pushed forward.

Yet Sheridan fails to see this. He makes some very bizarre decisions like Tyler Harvey as CM or Nathan Thomas as Wing Back.

I am not calling for his head. As believe the only way you can build something is over time and quick fixes only result in eventually holes being found later. Yet, I wonder why I (along with other people) can see that very strange decisions are being made and he is actually blaming the players when he has to shoulder the blame for some extremely bad tactical choices. You cant for example fit square pegs in round holes. I felt sorry for Wotton today. He was almost a lamb to the slaughter because once Sheridan put him in the middle of a back 3 you knew that if Wimbledon had pace down the channels he would be exploited. I see a thread about Paul Wotton and this being his last game. Its annoys me that instead of making a thread saying the guy just cant play at this level anymore we aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt today because lets face it Wotton has never been blessed with pace and a Wotton of 7 years ago probably would of been exposed in the same way. I don't normally make excuses for players but I do feel it was the tactics that caused Wotton looking so bad today, not just his age.

To me Sheridan has to not only reshuffle this Argyle squad with a better quality but he must learnt to do 3 more things as a Manager to improve the Argyle team and move them forward......

1. Get players in who can pass ball and retain procession

2. Improve the confidence of the players because at home, when they go behind, they look a beaten outfit

3. He needs a PLAN B. As often when PLAN A fails, it seems Sheridans Plan B is hoof it to big 6ft plus players up front.

All I want to know is where is the good football we were going to play? Perhaps its not just the players he needs to look at, but also his own backroom staff because it seems they aren't improving the main basics of many Argyle players like 5 yard passes!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
MGM - I agree entirely and I would like to hear John Sheridan explain his starting line-up rather than continually spouting the line that he can't explain the recent dip in form.

It is rather worrying when the person in charge can't explain what is going wrong when it is their job to find solutions to put things right.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We still don't have a stable formation and a starting 11 to suit it.

Here's an idea, fudge the 3-5-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-2-1-2, 5-3-2, 1-2-3-4...

Let's get back a to chalk board basic 4-4-2 and get some consistency in a) playing it and b) playing it with the right players.

5 games with the same player (Injury permitting) and stamp down some foundations in our approach and build on it when the players are familiar with the roles and responsibilities.

It feels too disjointed and like were trying to do other things whilst missing out the basic fundamentals of football.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I was particularly impressed by the Reid, Morgan, Showunmi triumvirate!! :shock:
Smacks of someone who can't make his mind up tbh!! Who was supposed to get the ball to them?? or was it humpy pumpy lumpy balls envisaged?? :facepalm:

k21

Jan 4, 2012
I think that the last couple of games reflects the enthusiasm of the MANAGER. During matches he leans on the post at the side of the dug out and never seems to worry about whats happening on the pitch.

The managers job is to motivate players, every player has a different way to be motivated, you can't just pick a player and expect him to put his heart and soul into a game without motivation. I'm not sure if JS has the motivation himself.

There is a rumour that JS leaves Home Park as quickly as he can to return home after a Saturday game and does n't return to training until the middle of the week. This will never work, you can't leave the training to others, you need to be hands on and working out different moves and set pieces etc.

I must say that this year was much better than last year and it was great not to be worried about relegation. We all would have settled for a mid-table spot at the beggining of the season.

I'm not suggesting that JS should go but I think some of his tactics are suspect. Also he makes statements to the press and its published on the web-sight that he was going to play some of the younger players. Again nothing changed he did n't keep his word and played the same faces. Please JS when you make a statement please keep to it or don't say anything at all.