10 Years ago today - Champions 2004 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

10 Years ago today - Champions 2004

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
10 years ago today - 24th April 2004

Plymouth Argyle won 2-0 v QPR at home park in front of nearly 20,000 fans

Goals from Mickey Evans & David Friio clinched Promotion !!!!

Winning promotion & being champions on one afternoon was fantastic

One of the best days of my life supporting argyle

Never forget that day !!!!

Champions 2004 :scarf:

Dec 2, 2010
What a day......gave me goosebumps watching that again! I was in the Lyndhurst and parallel to Trigger when he put that header in.....still have the scars on my shins off the back of the seats in front!

Made a whole weekend of it and was absolutely wasted!

What a player Friio was.......in fact what a team. Pity though we couldn't give him a shirt that fitted!

O

old redeyes

My £150 Oakley sunglasses flew off from their perch on the top of my tshirt during one of the goals. I only realised once we started to leave and found them 6 rows down on the floor unharmed.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Frosties stag do around Plymouth during the morning/afternoon and bodmin in the evening.
Even managed to get in a spot of trespassing for the second goal, as I could no longer stand listening to Sparksy whilst outside the ground.
10 years eh? blimey :sick:

John Squire

Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
What an afternoon! Lovely and sunny, and how well Argyle played. Having been going to Home Park since 1957, it was a time to remember. You only now realise how good the members of that squad were.

It's a shame that after buying a season ticket for each of the last 20 years, I am not bothering for next season. For the first time I haven't taken advantage of the early discounted offer, and if I do decide to go at all, I will pick a match here and there.

I'm sorry it's come to this stage after 57 years, but I just cannot sit through the dross that has seen this season, with a poor team, lacking in ability.

Let's hope they make me change my mind in the future!!

C

Cobi Budge.

I think a lot of fans feel thatway, the prospect of a 4th season of L2 football isn't attractive for anyone.

This league really is dogpoo, especially this season.

There is a significant gulf in quality between L1 and L2.

C

Cobi Budge.

HarlHM":14p7wbi0 said:
'Especially this season'?

I'm not sure I agree with that.

I think the general quality of football in L2 has seemed worse this season than in the last two.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
John Squire":2zjo7cd5 said:
What an afternoon! Lovely and sunny, and how well Argyle played. Having been going to Home Park since 1957, it was a time to remember. You only now realise how good the members of that squad were.

It's a shame that after buying a season ticket for each of the last 20 years, I am not bothering for next season. For the first time I haven't taken advantage of the early discounted offer, and if I do decide to go at all, I will pick a match here and there.

I'm sorry it's come to this stage after 57 years, but I just cannot sit through the dross that has seen this season, with a poor team, lacking in ability.

It's not for me to lecture other fans on how they should attend but I just can't personally understand that.

I can understand that the football hasn't exactly been sparkling this season and it's a shame they bottled an excellent play-off spot. But no matter how much there are legitimate things to be annoyed about, it's surely been far better than the past 5 seasons of crap. At least this season we've had a bit of good and a bit of crap. We've still got a fair chance of coming in the top nine of a league. As much as you're entitled to do whatever, I can't understand how the five seasons before it have been enough to make you say 'yeah, I'll renew' but this season when things have been still not great but much better than before it's been the tipping point for you to not renew. Not having a pop. Just genuinely interested in how you managed to stomach the past five seasons but not this one.

I simply don't think there is a 'significant' gulf between Leagues One and Two. Bradford scraped up on 68 points last season and they've been safe as houses all of this season. Argyle entirely outplayed Port Vale (albeit couldn't finish our chances) over two matches in January. Bury are just one of many teams who have got relegated only to struggle again as they did before. Many teams make the transition smoothly. It's nowhere near as big of a gulf as as League One to Championship for example which in itself isn't as big as Championship to Premier League. And even THAT in itself isn't as big as it was in 2009 or so.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
John Squire":1gngn1km said:
For the first time I haven't taken advantage of the early discounted offer, and if I do decide to go at all, I will pick a match here and there.

That's very, very sad John.

It is difficult I know, but I'm still hanging in there.

I look forward to decent football, even though it hasn't been much in evidence this season.

Hope you feel different and get your mojo back after a couple of Argyle free months.

:scarf:

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't think we outplayed Port Vale here Sam, they were better organised, faster and took chances, and taking chances is a key difference.

L1 is a big step up and requires good management on and off the pitch.