Richards loaned to Linfield (and Richards match reports/ upd | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Richards loaned to Linfield (and Richards match reports/ upd

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Leaves our defence as;
Purrington
Nelson
Bentley
Wotton (player/ coach)

Out of those 4 I only see two of them being regulars (Purrington and Nelson).

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
This news, if anything, confirms that Richards was already under contract until next season and Sheridan evidently doesn't see a future for him at Argyle.

Sheridan obviously just doesn't rate the guy. He wasn't offered an extension and he won't be retained when his contract runs out next Summer. A shame but not all players make the grade I guess.

As it stands then, we now have a squad of just 15 professional players- two of whom are first year pros and one of whom hasn't played for 18 months. Sheridan may have said that he wanted a small squad but that's not small, it's absolutely tiny. Lots more signings needed before the start of the season- and most of them defenders, I think.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Possibly the opposite as this move will do him a lot of good at no cost to Argyle. :scarf:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
GreenSam":p5u25zvw said:
This news, if anything, confirms that Richards was already under contract until next season and Sheridan evidently doesn't see a future for him at Argyle.

Sheridan obviously just doesn't rate the guy. He wasn't offered an extension and he won't be retained when his contract runs out next Summer. A shame but not all players make the grade I guess.

As it stands then, we now have a squad of just 15 professional players- two of whom are first year pros and one of whom hasn't played for 18 months. Sheridan may have said that he wanted a small squad but that's not small, it's absolutely tiny. Lots more signings needed before the start of the season- and most of them defenders, I think.

Or it could be seen in a more positive manner with Richards getting more experience and game time, something he may not have got at Argyle. Sheridan obviously trusts Feeney to look after Richards, he'll either come back a better player and be in a position to be fit and ready for Argyle or be ready to find another club. The move also frees up a place in the squad and some wages for a new player.
It's obvious our squad is small but again looking on the positive side it's surprising that Sheridan has already managed to sign some quality players when usually the end of June/early July is when the transfer business is done.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Perhaps it could be that but I think there's an age for a young player where if you haven't started making inroads into the first team by that point then you're probably not going to do so.

I'd guess Richards is nearing that age if he isn't there already- though of course I'd like to be proven wrong.

Agreed on the quality over quantity bit. I'm not bemoaning the lack of action at all- just more to say that I imagine there'll be many more signings to come over the next month or two.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I think i read that Sheridan wants a squad of 15 first team players with the rest being made up of younger players, if you say younger is under 20, that leaves us with 12(i think?) first team players leaving for three more to come in, which i think fits in with how many players Sheridan said he wanted to sign and would also complete the defense.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
He didn't look out of place the times I saw him play against Southend and Aldershot. Expected him to make a break through this season but maybe it just isn't meant to be. Can also play left back as well if I remember correctly? Could of been good cover for Purrington.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Steve.PAFC2012":2ztgap2c said:
He didn't look out of place the times I saw him play against Southend and Aldershot. Expected him to make a break through this season but maybe it just isn't meant to be. Can also play left back as well if I remember correctly? could have been good cover for Purrington.
He probably could have made good cover but this would see him return to us in January/February(?) which would hopefully mean he's been able to fit in a good run of games and improve with the experience and could be a decent player for us in the last part of the season, might even be like a new signing if he comes back and breaks into the first team.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":1qvajxh0 said:
I think i read that Sheridan wants a squad of 15 first team players with the rest being made up of younger players, if you say younger is under 20, that leaves us with 12(i think?) first team players leaving for three more to come in, which i think fits in with how many players Sheridan said he wanted to sign and would also complete the defense.
Nope- the Under 20s include Harvey, Lecointe, Allen, Bentley, Thomas and Purrington.

The only 9 players over 20 who we have contracted for next season are: McCormick, Nelson, Cox, Smalley, Reid, Blizzard, Morgan, Banton and Wotton.

By that logic it'd be six more over 20s or so to come in. A RB, Two CBs, a LB, a CM and a winger?

With maybe a cheap, young back-up keeper as the 7th signing (10 signing of the summer overall) taking the overall squad to 22. 15 established pros and 7 youngsters. For league two, 22 players with so many of them being kids is still a relatively small squad and would fit in with Sheridan's comments.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
GreenSam":2mh4vdp1 said:
Argy1e":2mh4vdp1 said:
Nope- the Under 20s include Harvey, Lecointe, Allen, Bentley, Thomas and Purrington.

The only 9 players over 20 who we have contracted for next season are: McCormick, Nelson, Cox, Smalley, Reid, Blizzard, Morgan, Banton and Wotton.

By that logic it'd be six more over 20s or so to come in. A RB, Two CBs, a LB, a CM and a winger?

With maybe a cheap, young back-up keeper as the 7th signing (10 signing of the summer overall) taking the overall squad to 22. 15 established pros and 7 youngsters. For league two, 22 players with so many of them being kids is still a relatively small squad and would fit in with Sheridan's comments.
Alessandra and Hourihane, 11 players then, i wasn't sure how old Thomas was

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":13a4hlri said:
GreenSam":13a4hlri said:
Argy1e":13a4hlri said:

Alessandra and Hourihane, 11 players then, i wasn't sure how old Thomas was
Ooops- how did I forget those two. In that case then, we've got 17 contracted players overall. Not 15, my bad.

The four more then could be two versatile defenders, a CM, a winger and finally a cheap back-up keeper of a young age. Possibly a third defender to take the overall squad size to a not enormous 23 if budget allows.