More talent leaving Argyle? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

More talent leaving Argyle?

Feb 8, 2005
It is reported in the Sunday Independent that one of Argyle's promising schoolboys, 14 year old Oliver Gardner from Braunton, who did so well in last Year's Milk Cup, may be about to become the latest talented Academy youngster to be recruited by Premier League outfit Southampton.

Jun 8, 2014
At the age of14? Blimey, that's a fair way to go at that age. Bit risky, but hope we don't let him go without a fight whatever the case is.

That's very young to be recruiting from another club though isn't it?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
If you are a promising 14 year old, Southampton's Acadamy isn't a bad choice. They do have a very good track record.

Feb 8, 2005
Another after effect of going into administration, which you don't consider at the time.

Will we ever get back to normality?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think this is anything to do with Admin, I think this a direct result of the new rules that all non Prem teams suffer from.

Kevin Hodges and Martyn Starnes are very eloquent when talking about it. they really do get hot under the collar about the uneven playing field.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
If there's anything we can learn from Lallana joining Liverpool; it's do what Bournemouth did... put a whacking great sell on clause in the deal!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":2lhvigkc said:
If there's anything we can learn from Lallana joining Liverpool; it's do what Bournemouth did... put a whacking great sell on clause in the deal!

Different era. We now have the EPPP and under 18's are subject to the fixed tariff.

£3,000 for every year he was developed by Argyle from ages 9-11 and £12,500 per year from the age of 12.

So I make that about £34,000 assuming he has been around since 9 years of age.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":31sr0c4r said:
Nobby":31sr0c4r said:

Different era. We now have the EPPP and under 18's are subject to the fixed tariff.

£3,000 for every year he was developed by Argyle from ages 9-11 and £12,500 per year from the age of 12.

We can't stick a clause in at all?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":2i6evypm said:
Lundan Cabbie":2i6evypm said:
Nobby":2i6evypm said:

Not until they are signed on a professional contract

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That's why there's so much outrage about it within 'football' - It's as if the rules were made for Premier League clubs.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":18qs8mib said:
Nobby":18qs8mib said:
Lundan Cabbie":18qs8mib said:
Nobby":18qs8mib said:

Not until they are signed on a professional contract
I don't think that's actually true. If they're signed on an apprenticeship, we can do whatever we like as well. However, whether we'll have got this 14 year old lad signed up on an apprenticeship pre-contract when he won't be in a position to start it for another two years is doubtful so he will probably be the first of our young players to fall foul of the disgusting and unequal EPPP. Dyke's proposed Plan B would have been awful for the lower leagues but this is something awful that's happening in reality as it is. Bournemouth would never have got their 6 million for Lallana if he was sold under EPPP tariffs. It's just another way of the Premier League trying to make 'social mobility' in football even harder for lower league sides.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Many kids moved without any compensation though and left clubs out of pocket. The EPPP fixed tariff at least corrects that.

Nov 2, 2004
With these rules fully implimented,Premier league clubs can just hoover up youngsters from anywhere and will.This of course will get worse.Clubs that educated and brought through young talent like Crewe will be no more.Not sure what the youth set up costs, but there must be a financial case for not having one.It appears Southampton see us as a feeder club and if they are going to take them early,what is the point in us having a youth set up.It would be much more cost effective picking up Westcountry rejects from Premier clubs.I believe quite a few clubs have already dispensed with there youth teams.I appreciate this would be very sad,but we are in the financial mire and developing youth may no longer finance anything.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
ealinggreen":7h181d39 said:
With these rules fully implimented,Premier league clubs can just hoover up youngsters from anywhere and will.This of course will get worse.Clubs that educated and brought through young talent like Crewe will be no more.Not sure what the youth set up costs, but there must be a financial case for not having one.It appears Southampton see us as a feeder club and if they are going to take them early,what is the point in us having a youth set up.It would be much more cost effective picking up Westcountry rejects from Premier clubs.I believe quite a few clubs have already dispensed with there youth teams.I appreciate this would be very sad,but we are in the financial mire and developing youth may no longer finance anything.

Finders Keepers wouldn't be right either. Kids must be allowed the best opportunity of fulfilling their potential and sadly that may mean them moving to a larger and better resourced academy.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Lundan Cabbie":2rfrvz89 said:
ealinggreen":2rfrvz89 said:

Finders Keepers wouldn't be right either. Kids must be allowed the best opportunity of fulfilling their potential and sadly that may mean them moving to a larger and better resourced academy.

But the renurmation should be adequate :scarf: