Pre-Season Friendlies & their impact on the season | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre-Season Friendlies & their impact on the season

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
So earlier on this afternoon I had a picture message sent to me from a friend muppet who has placed a £100 bet on AFC Wimbledon to be promoted this coming season as, at the time they were winning 2-0 against top Premier League side Chelsea. I remember Argyle playing Chelsea in a friendly back in the mid-nineties (twice, I think actually!) and I remember we were beaten 4-1, I can recall just being excited that Argyle scored against a Premiership side! Although Mark Patterson did have his leg broken by Dennis Wise!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that Wimbledon won't get promoted but I don't necessarily believe that friendlies give a decent indication of the season to come. In my eyes, they are for fitness, casting an eye over new potential players and helping the current players form a bond for the campaign ahead.

Have Argyle ever been 'overly' successful in pre-season and gone on to win Promotion? Has any other team done this? (other than the obvious Man United/City/Arsenal etc who end up playing pre-seasons in Thailand etc where they seem to win quite often.

Do you believe that friendlies give a good indication of the season ahead?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I recall that we did very well against First Division opponents prior to the 1986 promotion, including a win against Spurs.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Preseason generally gives a good indication but you've got to take a lot of things into account when judging them, not really sure what to read into ours after two games though

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Penmaster":1i1yri3n said:
Paterson had his leg broken in a tackle of Ed De Geoy I thought?

Was it? I'm sure I remember players surrounding Wise......although that could have just been because he was having a go!

May 3, 2009
perlymuff
Broke his leg in a collision with De Goey then the horrible little poo Wise decided to give Patto a kick when he was lying on the ground in agony!!! That's how I recall it anyway

G

Greenskin

NLM FC":h3i63u26 said:
Broke his leg in a collision with De Goey then the horrible little sh1te Wise decided to give Patto a kick when he was lying on the ground in agony!!! That's how I recall it anyway

He did indeed.Remember it well,to be fair i don't think it was a very good challenge by Paterson but no excuse for Wise to put the boot in.The other thing i remember about that game was how Gullit seemed to tower over everyone else on the field-not in physical terms but in class and stature.Quite an eye opener as to how good he was.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
We beat Premier League Sheffield Wed 3-0 once with 2 goals from Chris Billy and there was optimism for a good season ahead after which we were relegated.

Pre-Season games count for nothing whatever the result they are just for getting the players up to match fitness.

Apr 28, 2013
I don't think it's a clear reflection of how good a team will be in the season. Pre season is all about trying out new things and getting everyone's fitness up, if Chelsea played their first team I don't think they would have done very well..

L

Lee Roberts

I'm not a lover of pre season friendlies. They can be so misleading, I remember Lee Power scoring for fun but when the season started couldn't finish his dinner.

S

Semperfidelis

I was thinking about putting a wager on Port Vale last season as they were scoring for fun pre season, averaging about 5 a game. Glad I didn't as they fizzed out and ended up 9th

The better we do in pre-season, the worse we seem to do in the regular season. I don't take any notice of the results at all. It's just a good exercise for the players to get some match practice and get used to their new teammates.

M