What is the minimum you expect from Sheridan? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What is the minimum you expect from Sheridan?

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm trying hard to keep myself grounded but it's hard during pre season and I'm really excited for the season, however...

I personally think if we don't make the play offs, Sheridan should perhaps be sacked, the play offs are my expectation & I don't think anything less is really good enough.

We'll certainly need need a much better start but I believe this time out Sheridan can deliver is.

Apr 1, 2009
Is it really constructive at this stage to be discussing when Sheridan might be sacked? There will be plenty of opportunity for that discussion if things go badly. Why not start the season positively, and with a clean slate?

Jun 8, 2014
I don't think he should be sacked instantly if we don't get into the play offs, there's a lot of other factors in there too.. What if we miss out on it on goal difference or there are simply 7 excellent teams this season then I'm not sure. There's a lot that can happen and I wouldn't sack him instantly in that case.

Personally I think we should be pushing on for the play offs, and that's sort of what I expect.. Felt much more positive before Hourihane left, but I simply don't feel that Norburn is an adequate replacement so I hope we sign somebody else, then we'll see. That's what our season hinges on now IMO, how well Hourihane is replaced.

However, I'm not prepared to say 'play offs or we sack you' just yet. Lets see how it goes.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It has to be promotion in whatever way possible although discussing his possible sacking before a ball is kicked in anger isn't helpful.

Sheridan really needs to improve his tactical skills during games, there were too many games last season when he was outwitted by the opposition manager and didn't have a plan B.

The departure of Owers with Wotton coming in may help but there's a nagging doubt that Sheridan's former coaches Crossley and Wright had the tactical nous to make game changing decisions.

I really hope he succeeds, we'll see.

C

Cobi Budge.

Just discussing expectations, no digs at Sheridan, I'm behind him.

I also agree that, despite still being optimistic, I was much more so before Hourihane left.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The league looks very strong this year, and i think we'll do well to make the play-offs, top half wouldn't be the worst thing in the world this year but the league might be even stronger still next year so you can't think like that really, i'd be open to Sheridan staying on even if we don't go up, but i'd like to see us in and around the play-offs for a fair portion of the season at the very least

Feb 8, 2005
I expect the play-offs as minimum. If we don't get promoted, then he has twelve months left on his contract to get us promoted. Most of his signings will be out of contract by the end of that year. The Club can either give him an extension or get someone else in, who can get their own players in as well by then.
Personally I would like to see Sheridan get the job done, whether that is within his current contract time, or not.
Providing we have improvement, year on year, I see no reason why he should go, but I think he knows that he has two years on his contract to get us promoted. What happens after that is down to the Club, and no-one can anticipate what the situation will be by then.

Apr 1, 2009
Should the question be what is the minimum we expect from Argyle this season? Yes, Sheridan is the manager, and is largely accountable, but shouldn't we be looking at the club as a whole? We don't know what constraints Sheridan is working under, which makes it difficult to judge whether he should be able to succeed regardless.

Nov 26, 2010
Swindon
I just hope Shez gets more involved during the game. he just seems to lean on the dug-out and observe. he wants more vocal on the pitch, then lead by example. So many times during breaks in play nothing happened whereas other teams have a good old conflab. Get the skipper over and get some information swapped so we can improve on the pitch.
Took a mate to the last home game and he could not believe how passive Shez was in the dugout. Maybe Wottsy can sort that out. Least I would hope for is the play-offs, but let's be real, it's a tough league with a small squad and I feel we're still behind teams like Pompey, Oxford and maybe Bury, York, Tranmere and possibly Luton so we're in for a fight. Let's hope for a good season, a Home Park fortress and some decent entertaining football.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Think I'm with most of the above, promotion has got to be the target this season or at least the playoffs after a fairly close run-in with them last season the only way forwards is to finish in the top 7 for me. JS's job is to improve this team year-on-year, that is where he brings value to this club as the football manager and for me the only real indicator of improvement/progression is to finish in the playoffs.

That said, I don't see an attitude of "playoffs or the sack" as either helpful or realistic at this stage, I can see where you are coming from Cobi in terms of setting a target for the manager but for me threatening the man with "the sack" isn't really the best motivator, more a last resort. I'd also say it's hard to say whether failure to make the playoffs is deserving of the sack at this early stage simply because there is so much football to be played and so much that can go wrong, we could do everything right but miss out because of very strong competition or a load of injuries, on the other hand we could scrape into the playoffs on the final day and lose heavily in the semi-finals, that constitutes playoffs but is hardly something to brag about.

Who knows how the season will turn out, all I'm saying is wait and see before we start throwing around the sack word.

C

Cobi Budge.

Sheridan seems to be a great manager in the week, all the players comment on what a great man manager he is, he does fix problems inbetween games, and considering our location, he's good at bringing players in.

However, he's not so great on a match day, unless everything goes right from the start, we seem a little lost. Sheridan is far too passive in the dugout and as has been mentioned, when there are breaks in play and we are loosing, he rarely speaks to the players or calls the captain over. Sheridan is quite a sulky manager, he tends to kick something, then slouch cross armed in the dugout if we concede. I wanna see Sheridan more active, trying to change things as they unfold instead of waiting until monday training.

Fletcher seemed to be the complete opposite, to me anyway, he really wasn't a good man manager, many of his signings were appalling and we often started matches terribly due to a very bad set up or starting line up, BUT, Fletcher did know how to change a match, he was better during games, tended to make the right changes, and we did come back from loosing positions a fair few times under Fletcher, especially at Rovers away, what he said in that dressing room at half time must have been magic, Southend home was another good example.

As I say, I'm backing Sheridan but he needs to be more active during matches.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
MannameadGreen":1d038lq0 said:
We should be aiming for promotion. Play-offs at the absolute minimum.

This - top 10 by Christmas or he's gone.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I don't think I want anything from John Sheridan.

He can coach players, he can manage players, he can cajole players, praise them, berate them but...

at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon it matters not a single jot what he, or any of the other coaches have put into place during the week.

Once those 11 players have crossed the sideline, it's up to them to perform, no-one else.

The absolute minimum I expect from our players this season is 100% effort. No head-dropping if we go one down, turn it round.

Yes, I would like to see some big changes on the tactics front but it's the players that will deliver, or not.

Sheridan carries the can!

Jul 29, 2010
Cobi Budge.":2xrkx1ah said:
Just discussing expectations, no digs at Sheridan, I'm behind him.

.....with a dagger :roll:

With allies like that, who needs enemies.

It's like Xmastree says, discussing when and if he should be sacked is NOT 'fully behind him'. The default position before a ball is kicked should be support, for everyone. Criticise by all means when performance dips below (reasonable) expectation but questions like the OP are just self defeating to me, it's actually a pre-emptive expectation of failure.

Over expectation is a huge curse, a spell many cast over Argyle every season, always have done. It does my nut in, always has done.

Year on year progression is all we can realistically ask for, if that's a giant leap then fantastic, but if it's a fairy step then it's still progression. If we miss out on the play-offs having secured more wins and greater pointage than last season then damn right he should keep his job and be there next summer to maintain the progression in 2015/16.

We burden ourselves with over expectation and short-termism but worse still we burden the team with silly talk like "we'll sack you if....."

May I remind you that a clear majority of you wanted him sacked after the Exeter away game last Autumn. Patience is a virtue for a reason ;-)

I pray for a more sensible, pragmatic outlook from the wider fanbase, doubley so in our financial straight jacket. I fear I'll still be praying for it on my deathbed :sad: