Hartley and Nelson | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Hartley and Nelson

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
They were so good tonight! :clap:

Central defence should be one area we shouldn't have to worry about. Nelson is as strong as ever and Hartley had a really good game, partnering him well, and between them, they won just about every header.

Replacing Trotman with a player of Hartley's quality has made us so much stronger in defence and will hopefully see the end of points dropped by silly defensive mistakes.

Elsewhere, I'm less convinced by our full-backs but let's give credit to arguably our two best players tonight; I was really impressed.

B

Benji1

derbyshire_pilgrim":314dzjhb said:
John Eldridge":314dzjhb said:
in a friendly, against Conference opposition... :greensmile:

There is always someone who likes to crap on peoples chips first thing in the morning :D

John is making a absolute valid point, you are only as good as what is put in front of you.

They are two very good players for PAFC, and it will be a even better test against Swansea and Yeovil, and more importantly, the forwards of Cambridge and other L2 forwards

Jan 27, 2012
My own view is that the attacking players seem OK (at least on paper) but the other parts of the team- defence and central midfield- are a bit weak. Not enough backup and I am not convinced we have a strong defence, even though there may be one or two decent players amongst them. We will know after 5 or 6 games I think. Defence could be a problem.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
From what I've seen, I have to partially agree with Gaspar. Our 11 looks very good, but our depth is worrying. There's a good deal of versatility in the starting 11, with all 4 attackers able to play wide or central and there's a similar situation with our defense as Mellor is able to play CB as well as RB, McHugh is able to play CB and LB and Nelson is pretty much able to play anywhere (that win over Northampton still makes me chuckle, I couldn't believe what Fletcher was doing :lol: ). However, what use is all that versatility if one of the starting 11 is unavailable for whatever reason?

The defensive options behind the starting 4 are Wotton, Bentley and Purrington. Ben P is the only player from the 3 that I really trust to come in a do a good job. I don't think Wotton is capable of playing in anything less than a 5 man defense and Bentley is an inexperienced gamble. For the record, I think Bentley will be a good player. Having only a young LB with a handful of games as your most solid back up defender doesn't bode too greatly for depth in the squad. Sheridan is apparently after another right sided defender however and so that issue would be eased once he's complete that addition to the squad.

Then the midfield is Cox and Norburn, with Harvey, Allen and Blizzard to back them up. Cox I trust 100%, he's a fantastic signing. I think Norburn is a good signing and believe he'll quickly develop into a very good player over the season - although there are concerns over the consistency and reliability of his performances over a season. Blizzard hasn't featured in any of the 3 preseason matches so far and is only adding further evidence of the unreliability of his fitness; I anticipate that he won't be an option available regularly over the season. Allen from what I've seen could be a brilliant footballer, but he's not physically there yet. Harvey is a total wildcard, he could become the next Friio or he could flop like Boco. The Herald also reports however that Sheridan is looking to bring in one more midfield player with versatility to play wide, that would solve the depth issue in the midfield also.

Currently though depth looks weak IMO.

Jul 1, 2008
Southway
They looked very good. I thought Mellor played well apart from a missed place pass in the first half. McHugh I didnt feel he looked comfortable at left back and made a few mistakes. But still its only pre season.

Apr 1, 2009
Bizarre that people are already making judgements that areas of the team are weak (or indeed strong). How many minutes has our first choice defense, for example, played as a unit so far?

I haven't seen a single minute so far. I don't do pre-season (although I get to the majority of REAL games home and away). The non-competitive stuff is pretty meaningless (and bores me rigid) , and serious judgements can't be made on it. Why judgements have to be made now, before the proper stuff starts, defeats me.

Feb 22, 2008
xmastree":g68n71wb said:
Bizarre that people are already making judgements that areas of the team are weak (or indeed strong). How many minutes has our first choice defense, for example, played as a unit so far?

I haven't seen a single minute so far. I don't do pre-season (although I get to the majority of REAL games home and away). The non-competitive stuff is pretty meaningless (and bores me rigid) , and serious judgements can't be made on it. Why judgements have to be made now, before the proper stuff starts, defeats me.
This.

I never use to do friendlies until last season when I went to the Yeovil game, thought we did well against Championship opponents and liked the look of Morgan and Reid upfront.....

You all know what happened next! I won't be making that mistake again.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Again with the previous two posters, how are people in a position to judge.

As for weak defensively based on what? Having the best goalie in the division, having signed 3 players who all done ok at a higher level to play alongside Curtis Nelson. A strong tackling defensive midfielder in Cox. If Cox/Norburn/Smalley play we suddenly line up as a very physically strong side, with plenty of 6 footers to defend corners and set pieces.

As for strength in depth, this is league 2 - no one has strength in depth, financial restraints do tend affect every League 2 side.