Mistakes of last season to be repeated? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mistakes of last season to be repeated?

Mar 14, 2009
The lack of width still concerns myself. The fact Sherdian wants to put players in wide positions who love to always come inside. It worries me he was prepared to put Morgan out wide left again. Something we saw basically at the start of last season that was tried and failed miserably last season. So why try it again in a match?

We lack a totally unselfish player in our side who wants to get up and down the line and set up goals for others.

I thought we looked solid but seriously lack compose in the final 3rd of the pitch. Players out of position like Harvey for me doesn't bode well and says we are going to have a frustrating season. The main 11 look good at times but the lack of depth in this squad will mean team performances will be varied at best.

I was hoping the summer reshuffle might bring fresh ideas but when I see a pre-season with formation reshuffles from 442 to 4231 I think back to last season and think Sherdian still doesn't know how to fit everyone into the best combination for the benefit of the team. I keep thinking how it will be 352 soon and then I will realise that he tactically falls short and doesn't really have a Scooby-do!

Oct 15, 2013
There's a subliminal vibe that tells me Sheridan doesn't have a scooby also. You can almost sense it.

Swansea were 100% drilled and organised with every player knowing their job and doing it well. The movement was incredible and there was always someone in an easy position to pass to. Not so with Argyle.

Yes I know Swansea are Premier League but I saw the same thing with many League 2 teams last year. We still don't look fundamentally organised, drilled or cohesive. The flashes of brilliance we did see today indicate that at least some of our players do have it in them, so I suspect it's largely down to our manager and threadbare coaching staff being unable to harness it or get it out of them in an effective and regular way because basically, they don't know what they're doing!

Aug 11, 2013
Sorry to say I agree with OP.

Think the Exeter game will prove whether he's learned anything from last season but I fear he will be outwitted again.

G

Greenskin

Metal_Green_Mickey":2prnewa4 said:
The lack of width still concerns myself. The fact Sherdian wants to put players in wide positions who love to always come inside. It worries me he was prepared to put Morgan out wide left again. Something we saw basically at the start of last season that was tried and failed miserably last season. So why try it again in a match?

We lack a totally unselfish player in our side who wants to get up and down the line and set up goals for others.

I thought we looked solid but seriously lack compose in the final 3rd of the pitch. Players out of position like Harvey for me doesn't bode well and says we are going to have a frustrating season. The main 11 look good at times but the lack of depth in this squad will mean team performances will be varied at best.

I was hoping the summer reshuffle might bring fresh ideas but when I see a pre-season with formation reshuffles from 442 to 4231 I think back to last season and think Sherdian still doesn't know how to fit everyone into the best combination for the benefit of the team. I keep thinking how it will be 352 soon and then I will realise that he tactically falls short and doesn't really have a Scooby-do!

Jeez,the resident tactical know all surfaces after one pre season friendly.Must be some sort of record.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Is Matt Lecointe going the same way as Luke Young as I didn't see him on the bench yesterday? He is after all a local lad.
I didn't rate Marvin Morgan at all yesterday and wasn't even worth a place on the bench going by his efforts yesterday.
I notice that John Sheridan has already started to play players out of position for example Lewis Alessandra and Harvey Tyler. They are both strikers and if played as such the goals may come. :furious:

Nov 11, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":372u9kgf said:

We do have one - Thomas. The only natural wide man in the squad, but unfortunately you just know he'll only be utilised from the bench again when chasing games.

I share the concerns. It does look once again like an unbalanced squad in terms of too many naturally central attacking players and not enough wide men.

Apr 9, 2011
Going by pre season in general , not just yesterday, i have a horrible feeling come Christmas we will be struggling but hope to be proved wrong !!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PAFC+":1iijjypl said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1iijjypl said:

We do have one - Thomas. The only natural wide man in the squad, but unfortunately you just know he'll only be utilised from the bench again when chasing games.

I share the concerns. It does look once again like an unbalanced squad in terms of too many naturally central attacking players and not enough wide men.
We don't have one, he said someone who goes up and down the line, Thomas very rarely if ever goes down the line, he's a good impact player but leaves us vulnerable defensively by refusing to get back.

Nov 11, 2006
Argy1e":1mplfkku said:
PAFC+":1mplfkku said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1mplfkku said:

We don't have one, he said someone who goes up and down the line, Thomas very rarely if ever goes down the line, he's a good impact player but leaves us vulnerable defensively by refusing to get back.

Rarely goes down the line? You see a different player to me. He's the one player we've got who likes to hug the touchline, beat players and get to the byeline.

Refusing to get back? I would suggest that given most of his appearances so far have been from the bench when chasing games, he is told to stay forward and be the out ball, utilising his pace against tiring defenders.

Always worth watching again: Unbelievable tekkers

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Nathan Thomas? Unselfish? Really?

He's as greedy as any player we have. Takes on the shot far too often, always cuts inside to do so. He has many qualities and could come good, but he's not that workhorse, selfless, David Norris esque midfielder we need.

Apr 1, 2009
Mike Greening":1d0ergz3 said:
I notice that John Sheridan has already started to play players out of position for example Lewis Alessandra and Harvey Tyler. They are both strikers and if played as such the goals may come. :furious:

Looks like Sheridan is not the only one who has Tyler Harvey out of position!