The Marvin Morgan witch hunt | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Marvin Morgan witch hunt

C

Cobi Budge.

Can it stop? :yawn:

It seems as if 90% of the fan base has already decided that Morgan will be the scapegoat when things go wrong.

From the first whistle yesterday, fans in the Lyndhurst seemed to be against him, and ironically cheering (in a Chadwick style) when he won a header isn't going to do much for the guy's confidence is it?

I, for one, thought he was one of our better players yesterday. Battled hard against top CB's, but he was actually better when moved out wide, I dare say he was more effective than Thomas. Playing against Angel Rangel is no easy feat, and Morgan managed to beat him on a few occasions and make his way in to the box.

Last season, at the start, Morgan had no service as we were playing Alessandra and Boco as our out and out wingers, his season was massively disrupted by a serious injury, and he was never going to be very fit when he came back in to it, and he was only getting 5 minutes here and there.

Morgan never really had much of a chance last season therefore to slate him for only getting 1 goal is really quite silly.

Yet, ever since the Tavistock game, people have been getting on his back.

Not nessecarily a dig at Reid, but, while not amazing, Morgan has had a better pre season than Reid, who has been very under par, but nobody will say a word about Reid (not that they really should), while Morgan is public enemy number 1.

There's a good player in Morgan and he's a good option, give the guy a break.

Prove them wrong Marv! :thumbup:

Jul 29, 2010
Well someone had to replace Conor, we should've had a poll akin to the re-allocation of the armband "who should be our new scapegoat?"

I agree btw.

As for Reid, the same sort of concerns were raised last pre-season. He went on to bang in 20+ so it bothers me not to see history repeating itself there.

Mar 29, 2011
My dislike is his arrogance and abuse at the image of one of our biggest fans who attends every single week home and away. If he is going to be arrogant enough to abuse the way people look, he needs to footballing ability to match. Don't get me wrong he doesn't deserve abuse and I wouldn't abuse the guy, I just lost all respect for him that day.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's always been the same at Argyle, there's always a player that will have the ripple of disdain when he touches the ball.

Saying that, I've seen little from Marvin to stop that from happening, but in the second half yesterday, he did get stuck in.

Argyle fans can usually put up with poor play, but they'll never put up with a lack of heart.

I've seen Marvin at Newport away and Bury away, where he showed a complete lack of any passion at all for playing in a green shirt, so I sort of understand it in a way.

The cowardly attacks on Twitter by spotty faced youths is somewhat embarrassing though.

If he plays like he cares, and gets stuck in every game, it'll go away, but if he repeats some of his 'displays' then he'll be in for dog's abuse.

Someone said to me last week 'If the bloke cared as much for Argyle as he seems to for his clothing company then we'd have a better player'. Perhaps that's a valid point.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Jasa":1e2n9eft said:
My dislike is his arrogance and abuse at the image of one of our biggest fans who attends every single week home and away. If he is going to be arrogant enough to abuse the way people look, he needs to footballing ability to match.

If Mr Pie was as abusive to me on Twitter, I'd give him stick back as well.

There's banter and there's stupid abuse.

Good on MM for calling him out, internet abuse is 100% cowardly and if Pieface said that to his face and MM rounded on him, soiled grundies would be the order of the day.

Don't get it, never will, I blame Championship Manager or whatever it's called.

Mar 29, 2011
IJN":yj06tx7e said:
Jasa":yj06tx7e said:
My dislike is his arrogance and abuse at the image of one of our biggest fans who attends every single week home and away. If he is going to be arrogant enough to abuse the way people look, he needs to footballing ability to match.

Good on MM for calling him out, internet abuse is 100% cowardly and if Pieface said that to his face and MM rounded on him, soiled grundies would be the order of the day.

Ian, you've clearly seen this then. You agree with laughing at someone for how they look? What he said does not warrant what would be seen in any other walk of life as bullying.

Saying "any danger of Marvin Morgan getting some goals this year" does warrant a personal attack on how you look. FULL STOP! I sincerely hope you're not calling this 'banter'.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
It doesn't help that he's pretty useless. In fairness to him he had a good 20 minutes on the left of midfield yesterday, but we've got better options there than him for there. And like Jasa says, he's not helping himself when it comes to building a good relationship with the fans. He should stick to selling caps imo.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
He looked lost when we had two up front first half yesterday but much better when switched out left in the second.
I was at Bury last year - IJN accuses MM of a lack of heart that day; we lost 4-0 and that accusation could have been made at any number of those in Green - we were mid-table and safe and the players were on their summer hols by then. I was at Newport too but don't recall him being spineless there either. Don't forget he had a lot of time off with his arm injury last year so would have taken time to gain match fitness on his return.
I wish the big man well but think that he needs a particular niche, as an alternate to Reid, or on the left?
Oh, I do wish he would flippin' well jump when required. He is about nine feet tall, so adding a couple more feet would make him unplayable :) He's got lead in his bright yellow boots!

Jul 29, 2010
I quite like players to 'give it back' to fan 'experts'.

If you can't take it, don't give it.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
6ft 4 standing. 5ft 2 when he jumps by the seems of it. He was awful at Newport, worse at Burton. He's generally been poor, average or unavailable during his first season at Argyle and his only goal came when Trotman hit the crossbar with a header at Cheltenham and it rebounded off Marv's face.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Jasa":qde6jc2f said:
IJN":qde6jc2f said:
Jasa":qde6jc2f said:

Ian, you've clearly seen this then. You agree with laughing at someone for how they look? What he said does not warrant what would be seen in any other walk of life as bullying.

Saying "any danger of Marvin Morgan getting some goals this year" does warrant a personal attack on how you look. FULL STOP! I sincerely hope you're not calling this 'banter'.

It depends what you mean Jasa. It's ok to call someone a 'poo footballer' and far worse, but MM was teed up by someone with a picture of Pieface in a state of disarray and MM came back with 'Looking good' - If you give it you have to take it.

That day, I checked back at Pie's twitter account and saw a history of him taking the pee, but they (footballers) can't eh? Why, because then the same fans or friends of those fans then report the player to the club??

I saw it at Exeter away last season, two blokes in front of Nik and I giving it welly about their goalie being a Pole (I don't think he actually is, but that's what they were doing) Exeter score, he kisses his badge, obviously to wind THEM up, what do they do, they report him to a steward.

Common sense and decency in my book.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander as my dear old Nan used to say.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Mocking somebody's footballing ability (and rightly so) and somebody's physical features are a different kettle of fish though.

Jul 29, 2010
I won't sully my fingers with the tw@ttersphere Mike but if that's really all it was then good on Marvin.

You can't self deprecatingly call yerself 'Pieface' then be offended when someone points it out.

Back in the day before social media it'd be like Screaming Lord Such running to his mummy because someone called him a raving looney :facepalm: