Who? Never heard of them! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who? Never heard of them!

O

ogwellmike

I took my 8 year old, London-based grandson to his first Argyle match (and his first live football match) on Saturday. It seemed like a good chance to start weaning him off his support for Manchester United ( even though he's London-based!).

He was very excited beforehand but obviously only has a vague idea about the football league system. He wanted to know if we were playing Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool and was a bit disappointed when I said no.

"Who are we playing then?" he asked.

"Exeter City." I said.

"Who? Never heard of them!" came the reply, "What are they like?"

"Rubbish!" I said - and they were!

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I remember visiting Home Park last season and standing outside the Devonport End was a group of young lads, possibly 10/11 years old, having their photo taken. (Must have been a birthday party I think).

Only one of the five lads had an Argyle shirt on. There were two Manchester United shirts, a Chelsea shirt and a Barcelona shirt.

Dec 7, 2006
Sad and depressing isn't it? But not quite as pathetic as seeing middle-aged men wearing them around town. :facepalm:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
It is sad, but most of these youngsters won't have seen a winning Argyle side. They'll be known as Plymouth Argyle, that team Jeff Stelling tell us has conceded again... I, like many of you, have been fortunate enough to appreciate promotion winning sides, but that last was a fair while ago now.

Like Mike's grandson, I was pretty confused by the football league pyramid when I first started going to Argyle, but experiencing days like the 2 nil over QPR makes you forget the fact we're in the third tier and all you care about are those boys in green. My younger brother's haven't seen a promotion at Home Park, but I know their heads would be well and truly turned if they did - and I'm sure they're not alone in this.

After Saturday I know of quite a few people who are returning tonight; it wasn't just the win, it was the style of football and the manner in which we won. People want to be entertained and that team on Saturday did exactly that. Capitalise on it Argyle and people will be back, the youngsters will be trading in the blues and reds of the North and London for the Green of Devon!! COYG!!

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
FordGreen":2mk93kle said:
Sad and depressing isn't it? But not quite as pathetic as seeing middle-aged men wearing them around town. :facepalm:

Lol, seeing the young'uns wear top teams shirts can be depressing. I mean, surely watching Barcelona on Sky Sports doesn't give the same atmosphere as watching a Live Football Match at Home Park?

I work in a school and on mufti/non school uniform days the boys always wear football shirts, mainly Liverpool, Chelsea, United etc. When asked why not an Argyle shirt, the reply is always the same 'Argyle are crap!'.

So what if Argyle are crap?! We know that they are crap but it doesn't stop us supporting our home team!

Apr 4, 2004
Adam Dyer":220hxhes said:
I remember visiting Home Park last season and standing outside the Devonport End was a group of young lads, possibly 10/11 years old, having their photo taken. (Must have been a birthday party I think).

Only one of the five lads had an Argyle shirt on. There were two Manchester United shirts, a Chelsea shirt and a Barcelona shirt.

I was at goals last week and one group of 20 or so kids had no Argyle shirts. About ten were Barcelona. The rest being the usual suspects from the EPL.

That the challenge isn't it. How can a lower league club entice fans that have opted for a quick glory fix. There's plenty enough people around that love their football, it's just become uncool to follow follow the greens. I don't know why but it just has. I reckon things like that ancient decaying grandstand, music that was out of date 100 years ago don't help. Also Argyle appears to be a club for the old. On matchdays there are very few youngsters. That's not going to help attract a new generation. Somehow the club needs to reach out to more youngsters.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Kids wearing the shirts of the top clubs is not unique to Plymouth. Go into any sports shop in any town or city and you'll find the same selection of shirts and there won't be any local clubs in there unless they are a top Prem or European team.

Apr 15, 2008
London
To be fair, a lot of kids don't have anyone who will take them to Argyle. I was lucky enough to have a Dad/Granddad who supported the team and that's how I got the bug, but kids have parents who work/are away/can't afford it or are simply not interested in football. How else are they going to see Argyle? (certainly not on the TV unless they want to stay up to 2am to watch the Football League Show).

So, let's not be too snobby. We all have different ways of being interested in something... for millions of kid's watching a team regularly on TV and buying the shirt is their football fix.

And, Ming, it's never been cool to support the Greens. I remember being at school in the nineties and for a school that's less than a mile from Home Park, about 3 other kids I knew supported Argyle.

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
As LC said, its the same everywhere.. and as CP said, if no-one takes them then they will support/ watch the big teams as they are the only ones available on TV.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
crownhillpilgrim":yds7mjw6 said:
To be fair, a lot of kids don't have anyone who will take them to Argyle. I was lucky enough to have a Dad/Granddad who supported the team and that's how I got the bug, but kids have parents who work/are away/can't afford it or are simply not interested in football. How else are they going to see Argyle? (certainly not on the TV unless they want to stay up to 2am to watch the Football League Show).

So, let's not be too snobby. We all have different ways of being interested in something... for millions of kid's watching a team regularly on TV and buying the shirt is their football fix.

And, Ming, it's never been cool to support the Greens. I remember being at school in the nineties and for a school that's less than a mile from Home Park, about 3 other kids I knew supported Argyle.

This is a good point - I remember being younger and going to an away match (Bristol City, lost 3-1, Paul Williams diving bullet header) with other junior greens that was 'chaperoned' by adults.

Perhaps Argyle could arrange something for the Home matches?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
FordGreen":2cxf1az0 said:
Plenty of middle aged men walking around wearing Stone Roses, Rolling Stones, Coldplay and Bon Jovi T shirts as well. None of them are Plymouth bands, is it really so different? It would be great if all Plymothians supported Argyle but I don't see why an accident of birth should compel them to or see them looked on with derision for not choosing to.

Apr 15, 2008
London
jerryatricjanner":3sadzx2d said:
FordGreen":3sadzx2d said:
Plenty of middle aged men walking around wearing Stone Roses, Rolling Stones, Coldplay and Bon Jovi T shirts as well. None of them are Plymouth bands, is it really so different? It would be great if all Plymothians supported Argyle but I don't see why an accident of birth should compel them to or see them looked on with derision for not choosing to.

I reserve the right to look down on anyone over the age of 21 wearing a band t-shirt.

And... deride anyone at all wearing a Bon Jovi t-shirt.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Honestly guys the "I'm a better supporter than you" cr@p is embarrassing, watch what you want, wear what you want without the "Supporter Police" sticking their noses in.

People have reasons why they follow one, two or more teams, and it's their decision not anyone else's, what are you going to do burn them at the stake!!

If you'r a young kid at school and the other lads ask who you support, you'd be ridiculed if you said Argyle, and you'd be laughed at in a green shirt................It's called peer pressure and kids are surrounded with it.

If we were successful I'm sure they would be happy to wear green, but if your a young kid who's only history of Argyle is seeing them hang on to league football by their fingernails year after year, I'm pretty sure they will choose another team to follow.

This is also compounded by how poor Argyle are at winning the young fans loyalty, last week was a good example, where was the build up or advertising other than an advert in the Herald? As usual Argyle just took it for granted that the game would sell itself.

It's not just the kids, we probably don't have more than 3500 regular Plymouth based fans in total, instead we rely heavily on Cornwall and the rest of Devon to push us to towards 7000. So why don't these people follow Argyle, lack of success, too expensive, etc?

Personally I played football unbroken for 30 years Sat and Sun, Argyle received zero TV coverage during those years so my only outlet was MOTD and the BIG MATCH, as such I was able to follow my chosen side every week. Of course now we have League football televised but even then, 6 seconds of Accrington v Argyle can't compare with Man Utd v Chelsea in 3D live from a hundred angles!

I have been an unbroken Argyle season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and I love it warts and all, but I still avidly follow my other team with pride. The big difference is I financially support Argyle, I only contribute as a TV/Satellite subscriber to my second team (As do the rest of you).

Let the kids wear their shirts, adults too if they want to, they might have their head turned one day and like me decide to also follow the local side. But one things for certain, being judgemental and taking an "I'm better than you attitude" definitely won't bring them into the fold.

Jul 6, 2011
When I was a tacker I drifted to the darkside :oops: and supported Man u. My dad being from Liverpool soon put me right, but a little later someone else put us both right :lol: and we've been green ever since, with of course a bit of scouse red...