Ticketing Incentives | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ticketing Incentives

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I was talking to a few footballing friends at work about ticketing and, couple with the big crowd on Saturday, it got me thinking how we could get more people through the gate consistently.

We came up with four key considerations:

- Any schemes can't undermine season ticket holders.
- You have to balance the cost of a higher attendance with the ticket prices; e.g. police, stewards, gate staff, etc.
- Any offer has to focus on fan retention, rather than just one-off discounts, etc.
- Can offers apply to away fans and is it detrimental to a club to have a big away attendance when playing at home?

Bradford seemed to have got the balance right a few year ago, making the most of their big support from their spell in the Premier League to keep attendances up with cheaper season tickets. I don't think that we could afford to gamble by doing something like this, our fan base isn't big enough, but there must be a way of innovating that would allow us to swell our gate receipts.

With a season ticket, the price per game for an adult is £16.50, compared to a £20 normally. With this in mind, there could be a few options:

- Ratcheted discounts; say saving 50p a ticket on a cumulative basis up to a maximum saving of £2.
- Batch discounts; like the old green memberships (I don't think these still exist?) where you can make a saving by picking 4, 6, 7, etc., games to go to. Discounts could be on a similar ratchet system to the above.
- Family discounts - often offered anyway.
- Packages for away fans - programme, drink, food, etc. More to engage support with the FanFests?
- How do we engage with the local community? Offers for schools, clubs, etc.
- Packages for Argyle fans travelling long distances. What could be the potential for the club putting on a coach offer for London fans, for example?

I suppose the ultimate question is whether, giving the relatively tight margin between a match day ticket and season ticket price, there is enough room to really incentivise people to keep coming back or coming from further afield. It'd be interesting to see what other people think might work and whether there actually could be a workable ticketing incentive.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Could make a start by offering family ticket for anywhere in the ground

Im an exile and only get down a couple of times per season and was there on saturday, but when I do come down I want to sit with my mates and not in the familly end. Why should I have to choose between cheap tickets with my son and watching the games with my mates.

In the end I paid extra but in a game of not full capacity why should I have too?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
edengreen":lr350xp9 said:

Im an exile and only get down a couple of times per season and was there on saturday, but when I do come down I want to sit with my mates and not in the familly end. Why should I have to choose between cheap tickets with my son and watching the games with my mates.

In the end I paid extra but in a game of not full capacity why should I have too?

Seems a strange request to me. At many grounds the price is determined by location in the stadium. The better seats and facilities attracting higher prices. By your reckoning you should get the cheapest prices but choose which area to sit in. Can't see that working myself.

T

Tynan's Dad

edengreen":3d154uss said:

Not sure about this.

I attend with my lad (aged 6) several times a season. Most clubs have an area specifically aimed at families with family tickets. Like you, I'd prefer to sit elsewhere so end up paying more. However, that is my choice - the cheaper tickets are there if I so wish.

I do think that tickets are too expensive all round. £15 for 4th division football is plenty. Whilst one off offers are great, having tickets at £15 each would encourage people to attend regularly. I would guess a good proportion of those who take up the occasional offer don't return very often when it's full price, whilst others who would attend only a few times a season chose the offer game when they would have come anyway.

I'd have no issue with having some category A matches where tickets cost an extra few quid - city for example.

Aug 7, 2013
I travel down from Hull for approx 5 or 6 games a season and last season made 5 away games. It does cost me quite a bit to travel down and i would love some sort of incentive for exiles but tbh i dont think its the clubs fault i live away from Plymouth. If the club came up with, lets say, a an air miles scheme but for travelling by rail ...or if i travelled down for lets say 3 games i got a game free Home or away. But like i said its not Argyles fault. If i worked MON to FRi i would buy a season ticket and travel down every home saturday game.