Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) No Norburn and Thomas injured in the warm up so Harvey retained his place. Largely forgettable first-half. Stevenage far more organised at the back and Reid penalised for much he got away with on Saturday.

2) Most of the action took place with the ref involved or uninvolved. He ignored a forearm lead on Alessandra, pulled up Reid for a handball that never was, failed to send off Mellor for what was an obvious deliberate hand-ball with Stevenage through on goal and totally failed to deal with the Doncaster bench pushing Harvey about when he tried to get the ball for a quick throw-in.

3) Banton got to the by-line and produced a couple of decent crosses but Reid couldn't quite get to them. Otherwise we were too predictable and didn't look like we were threatening in the first 45.

4) Stevenage strong in the tackle and the ball was in the air more in the first 45 than it was in the whole 90 against Exeter. Walton got a warm reception and then showed he hadn't changed by constantly moaning at team mates for his short-comings.

5) Second started as the first finished a good penalty shout for Stevenage, a number of decisions against Reid then from nothing McHugh failed to deal with a high-ball and a simple looped header over McCormick gave Stevenage the lead.

6) Smalley and Morgan replaced Reid and the ineffective Harvey. Allen also on for Cox. Surprising that Banton, who hadn't had a great game, stayed on. Changes, if anything, made things worse. Nothing stuck up front and argyle looked like conceding a second.

7) River Allen had the first shot on target for Argyle with about 15 to go. Argyle gradually began to get back into it but couldn't find a decent delivery to cause Stevenage any problems.

8 ) Sad to say after Saturday but we deserved nothing. Our main threat was stifled by refereeing efficiency and we didn't seem to have a plan B. We missed Norburn's ability to find a defence splitting pass and yet again we threw width away by having two wide men who cut in.

9) Loads of Argyle pressure at the end and Stevenage reaped what they sowed with their wasted time as Argyle grabbed a penalty. (Was it Hartley's hands?). Smalley made no mistake.

10 ) Usual low turn-out from the away "support" but at least they brought a coach. Even heard them a handful of times. Argyle largely quiet except when berating the ref. Stevenage played a brand of anti-football which was awful to watch but unfortunately effective.

Luke McCormick - 6
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 6
Peter Hartley - 6
Carl McHugh - 4
Anthony O'Connor - 7
Lee Cox - 5
Tyler Harvey - 5
Lewis Alessandra - 6
Jason Banton - 3
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Ben Purrington - unused
River Allen - 6
Dominic Blizzard - unused
Dean Smalley - 5
Marvin Morgan - 5

C

Cobi Budge.

Lucky, awful display. But a 97th minute goal, beautiful!

McCormick - 8 - Good, solid, commanding.

Mellor - 7 - been critical before but he was good.

Hartley - 4 - great first half, diabolical second.

Nelson - 4 - Very poor, bizzare.

McHugh - 2 - ok I'm decided, not a LB, feel for him.

O'Connor - 5 - average

Cox - 4 - unfit

Harvey - 4 - barely involved.

Alessandra - 8 - had a really good game.

Reid - 4 - uncharacteristic, looked lazy.

Banton - 2 - apologies but if be plays like that, Birmingham can have him.

Morgan - 5 - average, worked hard, sorry to Reid but in all honesty, Morgan achieved more this evening, not saying an awful lot.

Allen - 6 - saved our arse from a second

Smalley - 7 - Strong. Great pen.

Aug 22, 2006
Sounds poor. Have we adequately replaced the likes of Blanchard, berry, and gurrieri? Sounds like we haven't and that's without touching on our central midfield problem... One which needed addressing before Hourihane left!

C

Cobi Budge.

Once again, I was impressed with Smalley, wins a hell of a lot and the ball seems to stick to him. I'd start him over Banton on Saturday.

Mar 18, 2006
Stevenage , a very organised , physical side who reminded me of a Steve Evans team. Pushed the boundaries as far as they could and allowed to do so by a weak referee .

We were poor , but they ultimately paid the price for their time
Wasting tactics .

Take a point and move on.

Ineffective, tired and uninterested and that's just the referee!

Didn't deserve a point tonight but the penalty was the right decision. Funny that no matter poor the ref was the two massive decisions went in our favour! Was a definite handball by their player but why millor stayed on the pitch I have no idea.

Harvey looked shattered, banton looked like he took a knock early on and didn't get over it. Morgan tried hard but just not happening. Just a mere shadow of the Exeter game BUT a point is a point!

Jul 6, 2011
MAZZA26":3bo8ry9h said:
Sounds poor. Have we adequately replaced the likes of Blanchard, berry, and gurrieri? Sounds like we haven't and that's without touching on our central midfield problem... One which needed addressing before Hourihane left!

Is that a joke?
Mellor is much better than Berry, who by the way still hasn't got a club. Gurrieri as inconsistent a player as I've ever seen and Blanchard just ultimately became cr@p personified and he hasn't a club either.

Dec 20, 2011
sounded a terrible match on Player but as I said before boring commentary as well but better than no points move on but we aint that good at the mo.... average but early doors

Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
Cornish Chris":3acbwdy7 said:
Plan A: smash the ball at Reuben Reid.
Plan B: see Plan A.

Maybe that's harsh (I missed the Exeter game, God dammit) but trying to beat a Westley team at their own game was never going to work. They always looked comfortable.
Not there tonight but was on Saturday. On that showing your plan A/B comment was well off the mark.

Dec 20, 2011
Johndelve":1lf3zddr said:
Stevenage , a very organised , physical side who reminded me of a Steve Evans team. Pushed the boundaries as far as they could and allowed to do so by a weak referee .

We were poor , but they ultimately paid the price for their time
Wasting tactics .

Take a point and move on.

I loathe him as a person ( had dealings with him rude self centered) cheating ish arrogant bloody mined nkob but supposed to be a bloody good manager

A

Anonymous

McHugh shouldn't start at left back anymore. Get Purrington back in!

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
That was dross. Utter utter dross.
Argyle have no left side at all but Sheridan is doing nothing to sort it. Banton is incapable of beating a man, but to be fair he's hardly got a left back bombing up to help him out with McHugh behind him has he? Poor Peter Hartley (motm tonight again) has to come out to the left to sort McHugh's mess out time after time and Sheridan looks on unmoved...

Poor Reid as well...has to slave away by himself up front for the third game running and instead of giving him someone up front to make some space for him he gets replaced with Morgan..who was beyond useless.

I only realised Cox (the darling) was actually playing when he was subbed.

Stevenage did exactly what we knew they would and Sheridan didn't have a clue....he only ever tries to change the game when his hand is forced, and at home we should be looking to force the game.

Long hard season of mediocrity again if that was anything to go by.

Aug 5, 2009
Ref was appalling, argyle were appalling, walton still waves his arms like a big girl and I think banton was playing for them tonight.

Horrible game against a horrible team. Why could we not see that hoofball was just playing into their hands.

Good ending though - hopefully we'll get back to playing football again on Saturday.