McHugh and Mellor | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

McHugh and Mellor

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Fairly happy with most of Sheridan's summer signings who have improved the squad strength overall.

However, these two don't impress at all, either defensively or getting up the line.

McHugh looks exactly what he is, a Centre Back being played as a Full Back. He looks uncomfortable on the ball especially when he gets near the halfway line. He doesn't offer any help to the headless chicken in front of him who would benefit from having a good Full Back looking to overlap and maybe create a bit more space for him.

As for his defending, apart from the obvious mare he had not doing his job defensively when they scored, Hartley is constantly pulled across to tidy up behind him.

It's hard to believe that Mellor came through the Crewe Youth set up, his use of the ball is poor. He looks to get rid of it as soon as possible and doesn't appear to have the confidence or the ability to carry the ball forwards and use it constructively.

Nov 4, 2012
I've learned not to judge players after 3 games of a season, i'll give them time to prove themselves before making my judgement on them.

Jun 8, 2014
Both defensively sound IMO, and both getting better. Three league games for Gods sake though, give them a chance.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Paven":3pmb0j5d said:
Both defensively sound IMO, and both getting better. Three league games for Gods sake though, give them a chance.
McHugh was directly responsible for their goal tonight by not doing the basics in clearing the ball.

Mellor may improve, but McHugh probably not because he is being played out of position.

He is not a Full Back and if Sheridan is going to persist in playing Banton wide left, he needs a proper Left Back to support him.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
McHugh's about as much of a left-back as I am a bricklayer. He can usually stop a man when he's one on one with them but you can tell from his positioning that he's so uncomfortable as a full-back that it isn't even true. He never knows where to be- doesn't go up pitch enough and when he does he doesn't get back. This man is not a left-back. Simple as. Truly comical error for the goal too, schoolboy stuff.

Mellor showed promise at times but needs to be a lot more decisive.

Sep 2, 2008
demportdave":2civyjah said:
Fairly happy with most of Sheridan's summer signings who have improved the squad strength overall.

However, these two don't impress at all, either defensively or getting up the line.

McHugh looks exactly what he is, a Centre Back being played as a Full Back. He looks uncomfortable on the ball especially when he gets near the halfway line. He doesn't offer any help to the headless chicken in front of him who would benefit from having a good Full Back looking to overlap and maybe create a bit more space for him.

As for his defending, apart from the obvious mare he had not doing his job defensively when they scored, Hartley is constantly pulled across to tidy up behind him.

It's hard to believe that Mellor came through the Crewe Youth set up, his use of the ball is poor. He looks to get rid of it as soon as possible and doesn't appear to have the confidence or the ability to carry the ball forwards and use it constructively.

I would say exactly the opposite. His delivery of the ball into the box is very accurate and by getting rid of the ball as soon as possible to more creative players he is giving them the time to turn, look up and deliver a telling pass. I rate the guy. His legs do look a bit weird though - they look more like sticks. Reckon 'sticks' should be his nickname.

Aug 7, 2013
No i disagree, Mchugh is a CB yes but he is competent at LB if we have enough attacking options, which we do. Mellor was very good against Exeter and im sure he will become a very good player for us.

Nov 16, 2006
GreenSam":15k5yhav said:
McHugh's about as much of a left-back as I am a bricklayer. He can usually stop a man when he's one on one with them but you can tell from his positioning that he's so uncomfortable as a full-back that it isn't even true. He never knows where to be- doesn't go up pitch enough and when he does he doesn't get back. This man is not a left-back. Simple as. Truly comical error for the goal too, schoolboy stuff.

McHugh is a 21 year old who's having to learn & improve 'on the job' because, by all accounts, Purrington had a poor pre-season. Not a left back "simple as"? Maybe not a great left back yet but a young player at a new club...how about we give him time to hopefully improve?

Mar 23, 2008
Green Neil":25viopdj said:
GreenSam":25viopdj said:

McHugh is a 21 year old who's having to learn & improve 'on the job' because, by all accounts, Purrington had a poor pre-season. Not a left back "simple as"? Maybe not a great left back yet but a young player at a new club...how about we give him time to hopefully improve?
I like McHugh, has a few suspect moments at LB but seems a very honest player and can see him really growing into the role. Mellor is solid and tackles well, expect to see him come forward with more verve once he gets some confidence.

Aug 15, 2008
Mellor was outstanding against Exeter I thought. McHugh is a trier at LB but he gets targetted as he is not in his best position.

I think that he will improve as he gets used to it.

P

Plymouth-Spurs

There not bad, need a few more games to fully judge them. COYG!

E

Ed_Blackburn

I can't help think that we are deliberately playing with limited, defensive full backs to compensate for our rather gung-ho and caviller front line?