I wish I saw them play! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

I wish I saw them play!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Does anybody have any Argyle players that they never got a chance to see, yet you always you had?

I was fortunate enough to see Romain Larrieu play over 100 games but I really wish I saw Jim Furnell play; unfortunately his playing days finished over 25 years before I saw my first Argyle game. You often hear about what a phenomenal goalkeeper he was, and I can at least say I've had the pleasure of meeting him.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Steve MacLean. A goal scoring striker with a reputation for being skilful, it's a pity I never saw him actually do that at Home Park.

My second choice is Paul Mariner.

Jan 27, 2012
Mariner.

Luckily, I was around to see the brilliant Shilton team of 93/94 and the excitement of some of Dave Smith's era.

Dec 21, 2010
I am fortunate to see all of those marvelous guys play for Argyle. Jim Furnell was my favourite because he oozed confidence and class, plus was a real gent.

Aug 15, 2008
Maclean really was an enigma..... He scored goals for fun at times. I remember his name was on the vidiprinter nearly every week when he played for Sheffield Weds was it? I cant remember and cant be bothered to google it lol...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Johnny Williams for me, I just missed him I started watching in 1967.

Would also loved to have seen Jumbo Jack as well, some of the stories you hear about him on and off the field suggest he was a very colourful character.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Only vaguely remember Johnny Williams at the tail end of his final season so would have liked to have seen him in his prime, also Jack Chisholm and Maurice Tadman.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
I feel spoilt here having seen King Tommy, Mariner, Rafferty, Furnell, Newman, Nessie, Matthews, :nworthy:

So big Jack Chisholm for me. :greensmile:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
IJN":3hrvkvtb said:
Johnny Williams for me, I just missed him I started watching in 1967.

Would also loved to have seen Jumbo Jack as well, some of the stories you hear about him on and off the field suggest he was a very colourful character.
In November 1958 Johnny Williams played for the British Army XI against a Scotland XI. Amongst those watching was Matt Busby, still convalescing after the injuries he sustained at Munich. After the match he remarked "What a fine player the young man from Plymouth Argyle is." It should be noted that Johnny was the only player on the field without an international cap at either under 23 or full level. At around the time of the Army game Wolves' boss Stan Cullis made two personal trips to Home Park to look at Williams. His bid for the player was turned down. Let's remember Cullis was trying to strengthen a Wolves side on their way to their second successive League title that season and their third in six seasons. They were a powerhouse in the 50s. Then there is the quote from Bill Shankly on 9 December 1961 after a game at Anfield. "I thought we were fortunate to take both points. The Plymouth right half Johnny Williams dominated the game, constantly prompting attacks and the whole side played top-class football." Seems to me like three pretty good judges thought the lad was very special. And back on topic, Chisholm and/or Sammy Black for me.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
I've seen Mike Bickle, Norman Piper. Jim Furnell, Don Hutchins, Hugh Mcauley, Mariner, Rafferty, Machin & Tynan.
I never saw David Friio nor the rest of the promotion teams as I was living in Spain from 1986 to 2004 so I feel like I've missed out when everybody on here brings up that successful period of our history......I did regularly get to see Butragueno, Gallego, Hugo Sanchez, Santillana and Chendo though.

Nov 2, 2004
Lucky enough to see Williams who was only surpassed by Mariner.Would love to have seen,Leslie,Tadman and Gould.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Just a quick and true story for the younger members on here.

Paul Mariner made his debut on a cold and dark evening match v Rochdale, two other players (I think it was Alan Rogers and Brian Johnston debuted that night as well). Our season was nothing special.

That night Mariner scored two, hit the crossbar and post (twice??) as well.

I ran home to my parents house in Pilgrim Close (yeah, cool eh??) and declared to my old man, 'I've seen a future England player tonight' - When he got off the floor from laughing, he said 'We'll see' (what else do you expect from a Brum fan). The rest is history.

I think all who saw the 19 year old that night, knew we had something special, and he went on to prove us very right.

I pray to see that happen again. It might or might not, but all that were there, remember that debut like it was yesterday.

Apr 9, 2011
PL2 3DQ":149zn8qh said:
Steve MacLean. A goal scoring striker with a reputation for being skilful, it's a pity I never saw him actually do that at Home Park.

My second choice is Paul Mariner.
Can't say I did either lol