Puttng Banton UpFront (or at least another Forward) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Puttng Banton UpFront (or at least another Forward)

Mar 14, 2009
At LM he may have the odd dribble and flashes of skill but to get the best of him you need to stick him up front.

He is just wasted out wide. Imagine the pace of Reid and Banton against cumbersome lower league 2 defenders.

I saw it against (albeit only a tiny bit in 2nd half) Exeter and then against Stevenage that when we play 1 up top Reid is far too isolated. Tyler was too slow in support and in fact most of the team were. Anything that Reid flicked on or it bounced off him would go to a Stevenage player. I like the system but if you players cant get up and down all match there is no point playing it.

I fear for tomorrow because we will probably play one up top again and its a reason why more physical, robust team shut us out as once you deal with Reid the ball wont stick.

Banton to me is lacking a self belief at present. I don't know why because he proves he can beat a man. His final ball can be woeful but that to me is only another reason to put Banton down the middle. If we had runners like Norris who could support the lone forward I would say play one up front but we lack mobility in the middle of the park. I don't see Cox or Norburn as runners.

I think we keep going with one upfront we could find frustration in the lack of pocession we will have in games and certainly the lack of chances we will create.

C

Cobi Budge.

I wouldn't put Banton upfront, the reason being - he doesn't shoot.

Banton needs to be dropped to make him see his place isn't automatic, it worked last season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Banton's best position is just behind the striker, him and Reid had a good partnership playing this way when Banton first joined Argyle on loan.
Harvey is now in that position and playing well, Alessandra and Smalley can also play there. Every full back knows that when Banton plays on the left he nearly always cuts inside onto his right.

It seems we have several players who can play the number 10 role but not enough players who can play wide with good effect.

Mar 14, 2009
Cobi Budge.":3rrhh0w8 said:
I wouldn't put Banton upfront, the reason being - he doesn't shoot.

Banton needs to be dropped to make him see his place isn't automatic, it worked last season.

Last season he was dropped because he looked unfit, wouldn't track back etc.. This season you cant say that about him.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
I would prefer both Banton and Allessandra playing central but for that we would have to go to a formation with 3 at the back and have wing backs. With our current squad our full backs are too defensive for playing wing backs (although this might have something to do with Sheridan's tactics) and our wide players (Thomas, Allesandra, Banton and Smalley are too attacking to play wing back).

You can't judge too much about Reid (who was constantly fouled but not given) keeping the ball v Stevenage due to the style they play which hopefully we won't come across again this season.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":3nffts57 said:
Banton's best position is just behind the striker, him and Reid had a good partnership playing this way when Banton first joined Argyle on loan.
Harvey is now in that position and playing well, Alessandra and Smalley can also play there. Every full back knows that when Banton plays on the left he nearly always cuts inside onto his right.

It seems we have several players who can play the number 10 role but not enough players who can play wide with good effect.

I don't think he played well against Stevenage. I think Tyler is one of those players who is ok but not great at anything in particular. What skill sets Tyler out from the other players in our squad who could play the no10 role.

He is ok at shooting, dribbing, passing, but lacks real pace and stamina to finish a game well. No10 is so pivotal to our side at present that I feel we need a player with more drive from deep positions than what he gives us.

P

Plymouth-Spurs

Banton on the right is useless on the left he is ok. Here is my brief diagram of a IN-form banton ...

(tackled)
<<<<<<<<
.............. ^
............... ^
............... ^
.............. ^
................ ^
................. ^

Banton On the left

^ (crosses or something)
^
^
^
^ (beats player)
<<
.. ^
.. ^
.. ^
.. ^

I hope people understand .... Bantons the arrow....

I'd play Banton in the number 10 role just tucked in behind Reid. Playing him in that free 'second striker' role makes him more dangerous, as he doesn't have to track back as much and he's more unpredictable, as it will vary the places on the pitch he receives the ball in.

When Banton plays on the left-wing he always receives the ball on the left touchline and he always cuts inside onto his right foot. There are two ways this predictability: either varying his moves or varying the positions he receives the ball in. The second is a much quicker fix. If he was played in a freer role he could drift around to receive the ball on the left-wing, the right-wing and centrally. This variation in position would make him more unpredictable, and more dangerous.

I would like to see Smalley on the right: from what I've seen he's a strong and intelligent player who's better in the air than any of our other strikers. He would add muscle and aerial threat to an otherwise lightweight trio, assuming Alessandra starts on the left. I think he should be used as our main outlet for the long ball too - Reid's much better with the ball into feet.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I prefer Banton on the wing. Harvey demonstrated terrific ability as an attacking midfielder behind the striker against Exeter. He was naive against Stevenage though and played way too deep. He played more quality balls through for Reid and the wingers in those 70 minutes in the Derby than Banton did in that initial lone spell. Banton Mk1 was all about Banton, Reid failed to flourish. It worked for us then, I'm less confident of it being able to work for a promotion push however.

I'd rather see the current system continue, with Harvey behind Reid. Or alternatively another striker alongside Reid; Lewi, Smalley, Lecointe or a new loanee. We need to encourage players like Banton and Lewi to get ahead of Reid at times and act as the finisher, not keep them settled in behind.

Aug 15, 2008
All it needs is Sheridan to tell him - " Once you have beaten your man, cross, pass or Shoot! You do not need to beat him again just to mug him off!"

End Product please :D

Jul 29, 2010
When he needs to shoot he seems to pass, when he needs to pass he seems to shoot.

That kind of poor decision making can be 'carried' out wide, it's more costly up front. I'd be scared if he was picked up front, needs to find some decisiveness first.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Verte":2p9gd1fj said:
All it needs is Sheridan to tell him - " Once you have beaten your man, cross, pass or Shoot! You do not need to beat him again just to mug him off!"

Someone clearly said something along those lines to Bolasie. Banton has talent, theres no doubting that. He'll develop into a fine player.

Jul 29, 2010
spowell92":vj7bdwhq said:
Verte":vj7bdwhq said:

Someone clearly said something along those lines to Bolasie. Banton has talent, theres no doubting that. He'll develop into a fine player.

Or he won't. Darren Bastow had talent. Without focus and proper application of talent he'll develop into a fine Xbox player.

Jun 11, 2012
MannameadGreen":36iv2tb4 said:
I'd play Banton in the number 10 role just tucked in behind Reid. Playing him in that free 'second striker' role makes him more dangerous.

When Banton plays on the left-wing he always cuts inside onto his right foot.
The first bit I completely agree with.

People are over-exaggerating his flaws since Tuesday (I don't think his work-rate should be in question), but having him centrally gets him on the ball a lot more, it makes him more of a goal threat, and it gives him more freedom to roam off the ball. He does roam from the left side, which not only makes McHugh's job harder, it gives our side an unbalanced feel to it. Having a more disciplined & more willing running there in Alessandra would be beneficial, as it'd also allow Lewis to play in a more comfortable position (L>R in his case).

The second bit isn't true at all. Banton's comfortable on his left foot, and probably 30-40% of the time he'll fake to go inside, but instead go outside.

Harvey's not ready to be our #10. If he was, or if we had another undroppable option, I'd continue with Banton wide left/right, but at the moment he's our best #10.