Brief Synopsis!!! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Not the greatest start. Soft free kick given away by Mellor, looped free-kick and player unmarked. Second - the right-winger went past McHugh like he wasn't there and put in a great cross. McCormick didn't stand a chance with either.

2) Bury seemed be 2-3 yards faster all over the pitch. Defence had the measure of Ruben and Banton and as usual no plan B. Alessandra the only one who useful as an alternative outlet. Norburn and O'Connor looked especailly lost.

3) Argyle had one good shout for a pen when McHugh's free-kick was handled in the wall. It would have been a harsh call but I've seen worse given. Other than that a soft Ruben shot and a wild one were the only efforts on the Bury goal in the first-half.

4) McHugh roasted by his winger time and time again. Bury looked like they could and would score more. Banton had a more involved game in the central role. He needs a goal now to improve his confidence. He, Smalley and Reid all guilty of over-playing it when giving it a lash may have come off.

5) Nelson had a characteristic error at the start of the second and Bury missed a simple chance to add a third. Yellow for Nelson for an awful challenge.

6) Smalley, McHugh and Banton replaced by Cox, Purrington and Morgan as Argyle searched for some kind of pattern of play. Banton, I thought had a reasonably better game than recently. 3-5-2 with Hartley, Nelson and O'Connor making the 3 and Purrington and Purrington as wing-backs, Alessandra in the hole.

7) The formation gave momentum and although there were a few scary moments Argyle seemed to be getting into it. Cross-field ball to Mellor and his header found Reid. Reid powered into the area and was wrestled to the ground. No mistake from the penalty.

8 ) The game sort of fizzled out. Nardiello hit the top of the stand with a shot and McCormick hit two or three balls just too long for Reid and Morgan. Cox and Purrington played well after coming on but a win never really looked on and a draw would have flattered us.

9) Typical northern home crowd - drum, low turn out and a few singers led by pasty driven youth. Briefly noisy when the goals went in then back to drum and silence for the rest of the time. Argyle crowd started brightly but as the crap on the pitch unfolded so the noise ebbed away.

Luke McCormick - 6
Kelvin Mellor - 6
Curtis Nelson - 6
Peter Hartley - 5
Carl McHugh - 3
Anthony O'Connor - 6
Ollie Norburn - 5
Dean Smalley - 6
Lewis Alessandra - 7
Jason Banton - 5
Reuben Reid - 7

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Ben Purrington - 6
River Allen - unused
Dominic Blizzard - unused
Marvin Morgan - 5
Lee Cox - 7
Tyler Harvey - unused

C

Cobi Budge.

First half was a shambles in every way, two ridiculously soft unmarked headers, a set piece and a non existent LB.

All we created first half was a wasted Alessandra chance.

Lewi was however my MOTM, Banton rightly taken off, toothless.

Second half we improved, Cox steadied us but we were still average at best, not shooting in good positions and shooting in bad positions. Good pen but I didn't think it was in the box. Mellor missed a sitter.

No urgency even late on.

Good away support, silent home support, numerous thugs. Poor stewards.

Luke - 6 - will have to see goals again, good handling.
Mellor - 6 - Poor at LWB, good at RB first half.
Hartley - 5 - Generally 'ok'.
Nelson - 4 - not alert. No leadership from the captain, he doesn't talk.
McHugh - 2 - feel for him.
O'Connor - 5 - very meh.
Norburn - 5 - up and down.
Banton - 3 - Good at diving, about all.
Alessandra - 8 - a bright spark.
Reid - 5 - worked hard with awful service.
Smalley - 4 - Good in the air but poor at his feet.

Morgan - 5 - busted a gut, did ok.
Cox - 7 - steadied the ship.
Purrington - 5 - Better than McHugh.

A bad day, we need to do much better, things were changed far too late. Poor from Shez.

To those saying 'unlucky' I'm sorry but we didn't deserve anything.

Now for a very long trip home.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Today was a joke! In my 10 years of supporting Argyle I've never been more angry at a performance. I'm sure most PASOTI members would agree that I'm pretty rational usually but today I'm furious.

The first half was pathetic. Nobody played well. McHugh is not a left back. No more evidence is needed. The two goals they scored were disgracefully simple. How can you not stop the cross. So easy!

Jason Banton was awful again. No bite, no passion. No grit. Awful. I'd rather have Karl Duguid, at least he tries.

We won't win anything with this system. We are three players short. We have nothing off the bench at all and how Tyler Harvey didn't get played today - and usually I don't like Harvey - is a complete joke. He is our most in form player and links the attacking play.

I won't knee jerk and call for heads but if that's the level of performance Argyle will be delivering this year, I won't be attending very often.

So disgusted and disappointed. Genuinely angry with Argyle today. We deserve better.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
ghost of hughie reed":27epuk7f said:
i was there.
in my personal opinion our season is in ruins as far as promo ambitions go.

Couldn't agree more. But no knee jerking eh, this division is where it's at!

P

Paul_Roberts

Purrington must start next week or Sheridan has officially lost the plot.

McHugh has been woefully exposed in every game we've played so far - it was only wasteful finishing by Exeter that let him off the hook in that one.

Jan 7, 2013
Paul_Roberts":2ayehp4m said:
Purrington must start next week or Sheridan has officially lost the plot.

McHugh has been woefully exposed in every game we've played so far - it was only wasteful finishing by Exeter that let him off the hook in that one.
That's what I thought before today's teams came out!! So prepare yourself!!

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
As others have already said, we played poorly first half.

Our tactics left Reid isolated and with Banton "in the hole" (his best position reportedly) unable to really influence the game. Two poor goals conceded with McCormick left exposed first from free header, then when a right wing cross was allowed into our box.

Bury passed the ball well and caused problems down the flanks. Reid was frustrated and started moaning at the officials. We hardly had a goal effort worthy of name in first half.

Players returned ahead of Bury after the interval presumably after a dressing down from the manager. 8 mins into the second half with no real change to the pattern of the game, Sheridan made the three changes. We went to a three centre back system with O'Connor central, Hartley left & Nelson right. We started to pass the ball better and Alessandra had greater influence.

The penalty came following a period where we had a better spell (not that difficult tbh). Reid converted but Bury reorganised and although the home side seemed a little nervy, we failed to create any clear openings despite a fair bit of possession in the Bury half.

A point would have flattered us over the 90 minutes.

First game for me this season. My observations. Defensively we looked shaky for 53 mins. Poor goals conceded. Left back is a problem area. Midfield overrun by Bury until the changes. As a result, Reid Smalley and Alessandra peripheral figures.

After the tactical change, thought Hartley and O'Connor in particular did well in the new shape defence. Was good to see Mccormick rolling the ball out to start forward movement.

Mellor and Purrington did okay as wing backs without being totally convincing. Cox and Norburn had more influence in the centre of the park and Reid and Alessandra were far more involved. Morgan's presence at least gave Bury's defenders something to think about.

So where does this leave us? Bury will probably be one of the better teams in the League. Nice playing surface and they passed the ball well.

The manager changed the formation and made 3 subs after 53 mins this suggests he picked the wrong team and employed the wrong tactics. The changes were positive in impact, but, it was just an improvement on a very poor first half.

So, what shape will we have next week? The summer recruitment doesn't look like it was undertaken with an intention of playing a 3-5-2. Banton is a problem - seems JS wants him in starting X1 but we aren't seeing the best of him. Given the type of player he is, this makes him a bit of a luxury as he is neither massively competitive or hard working.

Some big decisions lie ahead for the manager

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Two away trips now this season, best part of 30 hours travelling and 150 quid spent. To sum up both games, its left me bored to tears. Slow, dull, lack off effort and no idea. For me Sherdian didnt get pre season right. Weve just carried on from there, still not noing who our best side are. A few are saying its early days but were 4 games in and out of the league cup. A slow start and were left chasing our tail.

Oct 28, 2004
Plymouth didn't close them down fast enough to put pressure on them. Bury's passing was very good. Some Argyle players wanted 2 touches instead of controlling with one and then passing. I thought Reid was very good today in effort, didn't give up.
Danny Rose was great for Bury, would like to see him in a Green shirt lol.
After the penalty we pressured them and had them nervous and less accurate with the passing.
It didn't last long enough though.
Reid definitely needs ball to feet rather than having to control in the air.
A good game for Argyle players to assess and improve positioning. If they (Bury) are the favourites, we should look to take positives, understand improvements and remain positive.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Thinking of a +ve ... :think: ..... at least this season JS is using subs early and all 3. Last season when 1 or 2 down it was 1 sub with 10 mins to go.

Dec 21, 2010
Just back. God what a long poke by car ! We have a good spine to the team in Luke, Nelson, Hartley, O'Connor, Cox, Norburn and Reid, but no width. Having seen all games so far this season plus most of the friendlies, we have a real problem on the flanks. Both full backs are out of position, are struggling and being targeted by the opposition, while Banton is simply not delivering the goods in terms of running, tackling or an end product at the moment. Maybe Purrington and O'Connor at full backs and Thomas wide might do the trick ?

Dec 21, 2010
I've still got ear ache from my last visit to Carlisle when I sat directly in front of the one and only Mr Loud, who by the way was a star today in keeping the singing going.