• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Starnes : concerns re "talent drain" from Argyle

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Link

The introduction of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) at the start of the 2012/13 season has had a major impact on Football League clubs.

It saw the creation of a four-tier academy system, with fixed-fees payable for young players moving from one club to another.

Premier League clubs can now snap up teenage prospects from any corner of the country and for a relatively small outlay.

He told Herald Sport: “It’s a huge challenge, and I find it very disappointing that Premier League clubs seem to have a free rein to go and recruit players from all over the country.

“I find it particularly frustrating because we have developed a number of boys and spotted their talent, which I would very much like to see stay in the Argyle set-up and make the first team.

“But all we can do is the best we can under the (EPPP) rules and regulations.

"Under the EPPP, this compensation now has a fixed matrix and it gives us very little room to manoeuvre, and it’s not generous.”

So, Argyle and others in the meantime, flounder as the PL clubs come and pick the best of the crop. Maybe this is where the idea of "partnering" with a "top club" could be productive?

If there was an arrangement that could allow the youngster to be loaned back perhaps this would help clubs in the lower Leagues and reward them for the efforts and costs of developing young talent at least in the short term.

Aug 15, 2008
English football needs to do what Germany did after their disastrous late 90's and 2000 Euros. They tore up the plan and started over. Look where they are now!!

The English FA are trying - St Georges Park etc but they need to be more revolutionary. The Premier League needs to help the lower league clubs not screw them over. REAL football is the lower leagues in my view - I watched Forest Green V Bristol Rovers the other day and I loved it.

I think Scudamore would be over the moon if he could get his 39th game in to make more money and if the lower leagues went bust or part time.

When you see Clubs nearly going bust for the sake of 20k or whatever and Wayne Rooney earns that in a day it makes me sick.

There is alot wrong with english football but the ones with their snouts in the trough are too busy gorging to see the plight of the lower league side.

That EPPP thing needs to get a review - judicial or otherwise into its merits. It sounds like its a monopolising deal. What a surprise!!!!!

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Verte":1m4riizf said:
I think Scudamore would be over the moon if he could get his 39th game in to make more money and if the lower leagues went bust or part time. !

It'd be wonderful if a deal could be brokered where Lower League football would receive a generous portion of the money made from the 39th game which would then be invested into the youth academies of the lower leagues therefore creating more home grown players and more opportunities for qualified coaches.

I think if Scudamore had proposed this then more people would have taken kindly to it in the first place.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
But in which other sport does a club play and earn money, to then gift the money (tax free?) to another club?
Just not commercial is it.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Gary_Wills":17d0590p said:
But in which other sport does a club play and earn money, to then gift the money (tax free?) to another club?
Just not commercial is it.

It wouldn't be coming from another club, it would be coming from the Premier League itself and the Football Association.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Ok the EPL association gifting an amount to a different association, the Football League.
The lack of commerce would remain the same.

Apr 9, 2011
Verte":2k7shr1b said:
English football needs to do what Germany did after their disastrous late 90's and 2000 Euros. They tore up the plan and started over. Look where they are now!!

The English FA are trying - St Georges Park etc but they need to be more revolutionary. The Premier League needs to help the lower league clubs not screw them over. REAL football is the lower leagues in my view - I watched Forest Green V Bristol Rovers the other day and I loved it.

I think Scudamore would be over the moon if he could get his 39th game in to make more money and if the lower leagues went bust or part time.

When you see Clubs nearly going bust for the sake of 20k or whatever and Wayne Rooney earns that in a day it makes me sick.

There is alot wrong with english football but the ones with their snouts in the trough are too busy gorging to see the plight of the lower league side.

That EPPP thing needs to get a review - judicial or otherwise into its merits. It sounds like its a monopolising deal. What a surprise!!!!!
Agree entirely. The original idea of the prem was to improve the standard of the national team.This idea has spectacularly backfired as all it has done is entice foreign players to get their noses in the trough fed by Joe publics insationable appetite for sky sports!

Oct 1, 2006
Surrey
Gary_Wills":1ju6rq0e said:
Ok the EPL association gifting an amount to a different association, the Football League.
The lack of commerce would remain the same.

Sounds like more of an investment in sustainability by providing places for future generations of talent to develop.

Or safeguarding the future of the lower leagues - plenty of teams have and will continue to fall through the leagues (recently Pompey, Wolves, Sheff Utd, Coventry, and many more) and will be grateful it doesn't spell the end of their club. Makes me laugh how Phil Gartside wanted a closed Premier League - not so keen now Bolton won't be in it is he? Greedy pig.

Aug 15, 2008
The Premier League being a separate entity from the FA is a problem as they are two different bodies. However I do believe that they should introduce a 1m per season registration fee per side. That would get 20m to be put aside for any lower league Clubs that are in dire financial straits.

20m is small potatoes to those Clubs especially at One million each.

Apr 30, 2011
Everything I read about it seems to screw over smaller clubs. We have had a few players who could have gone on to command 6 figure fees taken from us for a pittance.

When this initially came out, I'm sure there a couple of posters on here who were able to put up a decent counter argument for this system having some positive elements for small clubs. I can't remember who it was or what was said - if it was you or you know of a balanced argument can post it again please? This just seems sickeningly unfair that I can't believe that the football league has bent over and taken it.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penmaster":1bd7bmin said:
Everything I read about it seems to screw over smaller clubs. We have had a few players who could have gone on to command 6 figure fees taken from us for a pittance.

When this initially came out, I'm sure there a couple of posters on here who were able to put up a decent counter argument for this system having some positive elements for small clubs. I can't remember who it was or what was said - if it was you or you know of a balanced argument can post it again please? This just seems sickeningly unfair that I can't believe that the football league has bent over and taken it.

How about thinking about it from the kids' point of view? They get to move to a bigger accademy with the prospect of a greater rate of development. The compensation is for what the club have put into a youngster's development up to the transfer, not for how they might develop in the future. The few players you mention may become six figure pospects BECAUSE they moved on and may not do so if they had stayed.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
cheshiregreen":3qnrtxvd said:
Link

The introduction of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) at the start of the 2012/13 season has had a major impact on Football League clubs.

It saw the creation of a four-tier academy system, with fixed-fees payable for young players moving from one club to another.

Premier League clubs can now snap up teenage prospects from any corner of the country and for a relatively small outlay.

He told Herald Sport: “It’s a huge challenge, and I find it very disappointing that Premier League clubs seem to have a free rein to go and recruit players from all over the country.

“I find it particularly frustrating because we have developed a number of boys and spotted their talent, which I would very much like to see stay in the Argyle set-up and make the first team.

“But all we can do is the best we can under the (EPPP) rules and regulations.

"Under the EPPP, this compensation now has a fixed matrix and it gives us very little room to manoeuvre, and it’s not generous.”

So, Argyle and others in the meantime, flounder as the PL clubs come and pick the best of the crop. Maybe this is where the idea of "partnering" with a "top club" could be productive?

If there was an arrangement that could allow the youngster to be loaned back perhaps this would help clubs in the lower Leagues and reward them for the efforts and costs of developing young talent at least in the short term.
But invariably the youngster is plucked from Centres of Excellence or youth set-ups and is not playing or close to 1st team. Anything linked to PL usually stinks.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Far better for development to get match experience than spend hour after hour training.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":2167ug98 said:
How about thinking about it from the kids' point of view? They get to move to a bigger accademy with the prospect of a greater rate of development.

Then gets dumped!!

Sep 28, 2003
London
IJN":2hi3gtjz said:
Lundan Cabbie":2hi3gtjz said:
How about thinking about it from the kids' point of view? They get to move to a bigger accademy with the prospect of a greater rate of development.

Then gets dumped!!

Exactly - Premier League clubs don't bring through youngsters in any numbers any more. The risk of playing someone unproven is too big, as there's so much money riding on every result.