The manager talks of formation and players (from Twitter) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The manager talks of formation and players (from Twitter)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Shez: 'From now on, if we win or lose, I know shape will be different home and away'

Shez: 'I know now I've got players who will play better away from home than they do at home' #pafc

Shez: 'We're unbeaten at home this season and have scored seven goals' #pafc

These are taken from today's pre Southend press conference.

I am struggling to understand the middle quote - "players who will play better away than at home" - anyone able to explain as we are, as he points out, unbeaten at home and failed to pick up a result away so far. :?

Jan 3, 2013
Don't understand Sheridan's tactical nous at all, eg we re losing, I ll take off our striker and bring on Morgan when by the way Stevenage were playing it was crying out for Reid to feed OFF Morgan's flick ons. Also why are we playing a centre back at left back?

Mar 14, 2009
This worries me.

We weren't that great 1st half against Leyton Orient and we got bulled by Stevenage.

Home and away we cant defend crosses. Playing McHugh at LB isn't going to help either home or away.

Leaving Reid isolated on his own when the midfield are too slow to support isn't going to help.

Sort left back out and flood the damn penalty box with bodies when we are attacking :banghead: its got nothing to do with the formation because he plays them in the wrong place anyhow.

P

Paul_Roberts

It's encouraging in one sense that at least Sheridan has recognised we've got problems and he's come up with a plan to resolve them. I think Sturrock Mk1 was the last manager to religiously play different formations home and away, which worked pretty damn well.

I think his comment about us having players who play better away means exactly that - some of our players are better suited to away matches than home ones, so those players will only be used on the road. I can't think of any who fit that description to be honest, but as I say, at least he's got a plan.

Oct 24, 2010
I think he should go with the 4123 which worked so well against Orient once we got the full backs forward in the second half. It suits the players we have, notably O'Connor, Norburn and Cox.

P

pafcstafford

You get exactly what he means if you listen to the interview.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
More here

So, while the Green Army may not see five at the back when Southend United visit this Saturday, they may become used to seeing that formation employed on the road.

“I definitely believe I’ve got a team that is going to play at home and a team that is going to play away from home,” said John. “I’ve thought long and hard about that and believe I’ve got players who will be effective at home and players who will be effective away from home.

“You will probably see throughout the season, from now on, whether we win or lose, I will be changing the team. I’ve done it at other clubs. I know the shape of my team has got to be different away from home.

“There is a difference playing away from home than there is at home. Usually, when you are away from home, you are coming more under the cosh and your work-ethic has got to be a little bit more; at home, you have got to be brave and take the game to the opposition, get on the ball and not be worried about making a mistake.”

Z

ZZZZMarker12

I still don't understand why football has to be played differently depending on whether you are playing at home or away. The pitches and playing surfaces are pretty much the same wherever you go and the goal frame is the same size.

I can understand the need to change players and tactics with different weather conditions but to openly say that certain players can or can't play at different grounds is strange. The players in question will be aware of this now and when the need arises due to injury or suspension and he has to select one of these players away from home, what is their mind set going to be even before a ball is kicked?

Jan 3, 2013
As joke in ear said "football is 20% talent 80% mental attitude. I agree that logically why don't teams play the same home and away, but mentally it doesn't work.

Knarf Reprah":kyunyxmv said:
Don't understand Sheridan's tactical nous at all, eg we re losing, I ll take off our striker and bring on Morgan when by the way Stevenage were playing it was crying out for Reid to feed OFF Morgan's flick ons. Also why are we playing a centre back at left back?
Agree with the general idea of Sheridan's lack of tactical awareness but not this part.

Our problem is that we fight fire with fire - we don't play our own game enough. We shouldn't be matching what the opposition play: they should be matching us. Against Stevenage, we needed to get the ball down on the deck and play to our strengths. Instead, we tried to beat Stevenage at their own game.

Jan 3, 2013
Fair enough, but it was near the end of the game, so beggar playing football, get it forward and into the box

G

Greenskin

GreenBin":31cf4aag said:
I still don't understand why football has to be played differently depending on whether you are playing at home or away. The pitches and playing surfaces are pretty much the same wherever you go and the goal frame is the same size.

I can understand the need to change players and tactics with different weather conditions but to openly say that certain players can or can't play at different grounds is strange. The players in question will be aware of this now and when the need arises due to injury or suspension and he has to select one of these players away from home, what is their mind set going to be even before a ball is kicked?

Hopefully to go out and prove the manager wrong,that should certainly be the aim of a true professional footballer.

Interesting question about the difference between playing home and away.As you say,there would only be minimal difference at most in the size of the pitch,no difference in the target at either end.Theoretically it should be an even contest between the sides but the stats over the history of football show that it most definitely isn't when home advantage comes into play.There may be subtle differences in the playing conditions-length of grass,borrows and slopes which the home side would be familiar with but you wouldn't have thought that would be of great importance,especially with the high turnover of players that many clubs seem to implement in modern pre seasons.The home support and unfamliar surroundings are probably the most important factors in determinining the mindset and style of play of the participants-i suppose the onus is on the home team to attack in front of their own fans and the teams that can soak up the resulting pressure and hit the home team with pace on the break or a set piece maybe are the most successful on their travels.Argyle certainly employed that method to great effect in winning this division in 2001/2 and Sturrock got it spot on in that season,not being afraid to make several changes even to winning sides if neccessary.Only scratching the surface of the home and away question here though-it would probably need a thesis to really explore it and even then i doubt if an all knowing answer would be found.

P

pafcstafford

Knarf Reprah":1ldercm9 said:
Fair enough, but it was near the end of the game, so beggar playing football, get it forward and into the box

Have you let guardiola and wenger in on that piece of tactical genius

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MannameadGreen":1iqdm6p6 said:
Knarf Reprah":1iqdm6p6 said:
Agree with the general idea of Sheridan's lack of tactical awareness but not this part.

Our problem is that we fight fire with fire - we don't play our own game enough. We shouldn't be matching what the opposition play: they should be matching us. Against Stevenage, we needed to get the ball down on the deck and play to our strengths. Instead, we tried to beat Stevenage at their own game.

Exactly same goes for Cambridge, their defenders couldn't cope with the technical abilities of Banton and Lewi in the first half, when we went behind we took them off and lumped it up to big forwards and played right into their hands.

Nobody is going to beat Stevenage at their own game, that manager of their's has his way of playing drilled into his players heads, showing up on the day and hoping to match it is never going to work regardless of how good our team is man-to-man against theirs.