Winning without wingers: Is it possible? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Winning without wingers: Is it possible?

C

Cobi Budge.

I think Sheridan is yet to realise that the winger he wants is still sitting on the bench.

Jun 15, 2013
Cobi Budge.":651ussus said:
I think Sheridan is yet to realise that the winger he wants is still sitting on the bench.

This article says why he does not use Thomas. Seems Thomas isn't a sort of player Sheridan wants.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
hometown5":31o5epta said:
Cobi Budge.":31o5epta said:

This article says why he does not use Thomas. Seems Thomas isn't a sort of player Sheridan wants.

...which makes you wonder why he signed him up a year!

Apr 28, 2013
What about a Moreno type player? Today he got forward so much it was like having an extra man over, and of course his goal!

G

Greenskin

arrythewurzel":1fbkejuv said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1fbkejuv said:
I'm sure someone posted that article on here around this time last season.

'Twas me .... And looks a simplistic and outdated system!

Why don't you go and tell him that or write a letter or something? I'm sure he'd welcome the input of Harry the Wurzel,with your oft demonstrated on PASOTI expertise sounds like it could be quite an education for him.

Aug 11, 2013
Greenskin":33ii18vs said:
arrythewurzel":33ii18vs said:
Steve.PAFC2012":33ii18vs said:

Why don't you go and tell him that or write a letter or something? I'm sure he'd welcome the input of Harry the Wurzel,with your oft demonstrated on PASOTI expertise sounds like it could be quite an education for him.

You've inspired me I will ....

Aug 11, 2013
arrythewurzel":36ojol0l said:
Greenskin":36ojol0l said:
arrythewurzel":36ojol0l said:
Steve.PAFC2012":36ojol0l said:

On a serious note .. This system was played over 20 years ago. Football and systems have become much more sophisticated. Used to be an inside left and inside right in my day. Things move on ... You'd be laughed at if you suggested that today.

Only my opinion like ... Which I'd though was the whole point of pasoti .. I respect your obvious different view and you must think its a good system. Perhaps you could suggest it to Van Gaal ;)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
England won the 1966 World Cup without wingers even though there were the likes of Connolly and Thompson [both excellent players] in the squad. Playing without wingers was invented by Ramsey long ago.

Getting back to Thomas, ex Sunderland and Darlington, I agree with the poster, who questioned his signing, if he is not the type of player JS wants. If he wants to convert him to a wing back he does not so far appear to be successful. Personally, I like Thomas's skill level and he is the first 'winger' at Argyle over recent years, who possesses the trickery to put an opposing full back on his backside. He has a directness that Banton does not offer, but JS perseveres with him none the less.

G

Greenskin

arrythewurzel":2lbbpn74 said:
Greenskin":2lbbpn74 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":2lbbpn74 said:

On a serious note .. This system was played over 20 years ago. Football and systems have become much more sophisticated. Used to be an inside left and inside right in my day. Things move on ... You'd be laughed at if you suggested that today.

Only my opinion like ... Which I'd though was the whole point of pasoti .. I respect your obvious different view and you must think its a good system. Perhaps you could suggest it to Van Gaal ;)[/quote]

Letter in the post already,with the last line being "keep up the good work,Louis".

4-4-2 was also played 20 years ago but it can still be a mighty effective system.One thing that hasn't altered since football was played with a pigs bladder is that no matter what system is used,the quality of the players on the books has to be sufficient to make it work.The system used by Sheridan at Chesterfield certainly seemed to be of adequate modernity when winning this division 3 years ago and i don't really think that the game has changed that much in such a short space of time to render his methods obsolete.

I'm not a "leave it to the pro's,they know best" type and of course people are entitled to their opinions and to be critical.It's just that some of the stuff aimed at Sheridan seems to be ill balanced and carping to the point of being obsessional.To continue the tactical dinosaur/whizz kid theme,when Exeter won at HP last season,much of the talk on here concentrated on the allegedly superior nous of Tisdale [which incidently is emphatically not the view taken by a vast majority of posters on Exeweb] in comparison to Sheridan and inferring that their win was due to their manager being thoroughly modern in approach to the game.Yet when Argyle panned Exeter in the first home match of the season,this view seemed to have diminished to the point of non-existence-was it that Sheridan had spent the summer feverishly poring over Gary Neville's video analysis,mumbling "i'll outwit you this year,you little barsteward" to a picture of Tisdale on his desk? Wouldn't have thought so myself,maybe you could put me right there.

Aug 11, 2013
I aimed nothing at Sheridan .. I commented on a system talked about in an old article (Sheridan is quoted as being a Chesterfield manager) that was employed in 1994. Is he still using this system? I couldn't tell you?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Aren't Liverpool currently playing without wingers? Sterling a free role behind Sturridge and Balotelli. It's not an outdated system. Like all formations, put the right players in the correct places in their most suited roles and it'll work.

If you try and force a system on unsuitable players in won't work. See the England WC players crammed into a system that didn't suit them individually and see them play at their clubs in systems that suit them for examples. Gerrard in a well balanced midfield 3 for Liverpool with players that compliment his weaknesses compared to Gerrard forced into a traditional holding midfield role for England stands out most for me. A good player no doubt, but the wrong type of player for the role Roy wanted him to play for England.

Saw the a similar issue when Argyle played Stevenage after the win vs Exeter. Against Exeter we had a quiet effective O'connor breaking up the play and passing it simple. Next to him was Norburn who's a decent to average tackler and a fairly good passer of the ball. O'connor made up for Norburn's defensive weaknesses, Norburn made up for O'connor's lack of creativity and passing range. Then we added Harvey with a free role ahead of the two, he's clearly a greater player on the ball that Norburn and is better further up the pitch, filling the void the other two do in between the midfield and forwards.

When we came up against Stevenage we lost Norburn to injury and in stepped Cox. Cox is a brilliant midfielder, but his introduction in Ollie's absence completely threw the balance of that trio. Cox is much deeper than Norburn and his passing range isn't much greater than O'connor's. So Harvey is coming back too deep to support and find the ball, but this leaves Reid isolated and it just allowed Stevenage to really pen us back. Wrong players in the wrong system that day.

Oct 24, 2010
The problem is we are only allowed 11 players on the pitch at one time and I think in today's football a three man midfield is essential (as demonstrated on Saturday) which doesn't leave room for out and out wingers. The fullbacks role has changed significantly over the years and now getting forward to provide width is a big part of their job.

Regarding Thomas, he is a huge talent but to have a future he must adapt to modern football, either become a full back (or wing back) or a modern wide player in a three man attack. I think the touchline hugging winger has had his day.