team/formation change | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

team/formation change

Aug 10, 2014
Alex bray.. A right winger has signed.. Reading about him, Swansea speak highly..... But.... What now happens with the team and the formation, the team looked good and seemed to enjoy playing the way they did on saturday, it worked better with two upfront. Who will make way, do we really want to change a formation and team that worked so well? Not to put a downer on the signing, :)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Manager already said (after defeat at Bury) he will be using different players and formations home and away from now on.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'd play

Mccormick

Mellor, Hartley, Nelson, Mchugh

Cox, O'connor

Bray, Lewi, Morgan

Reid

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Hopefully it means we can get Lewi upfront in the middle off Reid where he is at his best and not wasted out on the wing.
Suggests to me either Morgan or Banton will make way for him but it does give us good attacking options.

Just need a proper left back as teams are going to attack McHugh with speedy wingers

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Cobi Budge.":1lkpdjbv said:
I'd play

Mccormick

Mellor, Hartley, Nelson, Mchugh

Cox, O'connor

Bray, Lewi, Morgan

Reid

Whaaaaaat?

How does Morgan ocassionally making runs down the left-hand side make him a good LM? We're not just restricted to 4-2-3-1, either. You could go with the same team as Southend but Bray for Banton and then swap Banton for Lewi (4-4-2) or those who prefer Lewi up front still have Banton and Thomas as options for LM (4-4-2 again). Morgan just isn't an LM.

Aug 10, 2014
I agree, Morgan is no LM. him and Reid played well at front together. I must be the only one who likes lewi on the right, he cuts in, links well down the flank, can put a decent cross in. As long as there's two upfront I think Reid will get the service he needs. What don't people like of lewi on the right?

Dec 28, 2010
A good old 4-4-2 finally, i hope!

McCormick

Mellor Nelson Hartley Purrington

Bray Cox Norburn Thomas

Alessandra Reid

Some WIDTH please!!!!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Molton green 1989":32kh52iv said:
I agree, Morgan is no LM. him and Reid played well at front together. I must be the only one who likes lewi on the right, he cuts in, links well down the flank, can put a decent cross in. As long as there's two upfront I think Reid will get the service he needs. What don't people like of lewi on the right?

I think Lewi does a good job for us out wide but still think he is more involved and potent upfront and where he is at his best.

We do have a number of attacking options now but its putting all the pieces in the jigsaw and making them fit together.
At the moment to me it looks like Morgan or Banton could be dropped but that gives us great options off the bench if we are chasing a game

I really can't understand why the LB issue hasn't been addressed as its glaringly obvious to me that is one area we are exposed at current and good teams/managers will fully expose it.
If Southend had kept 10 men on the field I think we would have seen a totally different game

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I feel our midfield is our downfall still. Cox and O'connor are too much of the same to really play together in a pair effectively, certainly if we wish to get forward and supply the attack from the midfield. Norburn seems too lightweight to me to be able to play in a midfield two. From what I gather of the match this was quite apparent vs Bury when we started with O'connor and Norburn in the middle. I don't feel there's an combination of two midfielders in the squad that compliment each other well.

So we can look at a 3 man midfield to try and compensate for any inadequacies. However it obviously means we lose a forward. O'connor, Norburn and Harvey complimented each other brilliantly against Exeter. What O'connor lacked in passing, Norburn had, what Harvey lacked in defensive work O'connor could cover. I feel those 3 are our strongest midfield combination. Against Stevenage we lost Norburn and replaced him with Cox. It was the same issue of O'connor and Cox being too alike in style. No one was making up for the passing inadequacies in the midfield that Norburn was filling in for. So Harvey was coming deeper and deeper to find the ball, the forwards were left isolated and we didn't play particularly well. Unfortunately, because I'm a big fan of both Cox and O'connor I think we can only pick one or the other.

The back four currently decide themselves, as let's face it McHugh will remain at left back. And Reid is a cert to start up front. So we can either play narrow like Liverpool currently are for example and put another striker alongside Reid and a player behind the two strikers. Or we play wingers either side of Reid. I'd personally stick with Lewi on the right and Banton left vs Luton, but wouldn't mind seeing what Bray could bring to the table.

Ideally, should Bray really impress, I'd like to see Lewi move up top with Reuben, and Bray to play right and Banton left. But we'd need a new midfielder in who could play next to Cox or O'connor. An actual Hourihane replacement perhaps?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'd keep with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

RR thrives off being the loan striker with wingers cutting in.

The issue being I think we need a bit more protection on the left flank of which JB is a bit short on

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
A lot of you don't seem to believe Sheridan. :think:

This is what he has said

Shez: 'From now on, if we win or lose, I know shape will be different home and away'

So, naming one formation on this thread is rather pointless. :roll:

Suspect he may favour 4-4-2 at home and either 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 away.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if Sheridan decides to try 3-4-1-2 away from home, starting at Luton on Saturday as follows;

MCCORMICK

NELSON HARTLEY MCHUGH

MELLOR O'CONNOR COX PURRINGTON

BANTON
ALESSANDRA REID

C

Cobi Budge.

I think it would be silly to leave Morgan out of the side.

Banton needs dropping in my view, our poorest player in recent matches.

Oct 24, 2010
Greenpafcpete":2j2c405v said:
A good old 4-4-2 finally, i hope!

McCormick

Mellor Nelson Hartley Purrington

Bray Cox Norburn Thomas

Alessandra Reid

Some WIDTH please!!!!
We had good old 442 in the first half on Saturday and were outplayed by ten men. Bizarrely they outnumbered us in midfield despite being a man short. It was only after half time when we went with a three man midfield that we got some possession and went on to win the game.