Banton | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Banton

Sep 2, 2008
After watching todays game I've finally worked out why Sheridan persists in starting Banton - it's because he's so consistent. Shezza is on record as saying he wants consistency from the team and I have to say that is exactly what Banton brings. I noticed from todays game that virtually every time Banton got the ball the next player to touch it was in a Luton shirt. I then started thinking about all the other games he's played in since the season started and realised he did exactly the same in those games. Thinking about it a bit more - he consistently never beats his man, he consistently never gets a decent ball in the box (unless it's from a corner) and he consistently ducks out of a challenge. Did notice that we were far more penetrating when he went off though :?

Mar 23, 2008
It is a problem that our two wide men Banton and Alessandra don't like playing wide. I'm surprised that having re-signed him Thomas gets so little game time.

Sep 2, 2008
pilgrimB173":c4hkg9o9 said:
He did make an accurate pass to the referee, whose ball control let him down.

Fair dues - he did create a goal scoring opportunity with that pass.

Apr 28, 2013
He can't play as a winger. It's so simple, he naturally wants to cut in but gets crowded out- play him down the middle ffs..

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
He has watched too much Yannick Bolasie whilst he was at Palace. To much show but no final product. He isn't a winger though. Much better in the channels or through the middle.

Jun 24, 2008
He needs to be dropped. However I believe he has the potential to break back into the team.

Time to give his starting place to Thomas/Bray for a few games.

Dec 2, 2010
I thought he looked a shadow of the player he is and lacked confidence. As soon as he received the ball he didn't look comfortable, he didn't go past anyone and he looked lost at times.

Not his position and he is much better in field.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":i3mztvmz said:
He has watched too much Yannick Bolasie whilst he was at Palace. To much show but no final product. He isn't a winger though. Much better in the channels or through the middle.
If I have interpreted this as a criticism of Bolasie, it is amazing how we can all see the game so differently. From my neutral viewpoint I thought Bolasie was a key part of the Palace revival under Pulis. His powerful running with the ball epitomised the old saying "attack is the best form of defence". I do not know the figures for his assists but it struck me he was heavily involved in their offensive play. In terms of ability there may not be too much to choose between them. I just think Bolasie makes the most of what he has helped by a greater determination and his improved physique. I grant the positional thing is a point but Banton doesn't try as hard and is like a stick insect in comparison to Bolasie.

Deacster":21bbs03p said:
It is a problem that our two wide men Banton and Alessandra don't like playing wide. I'm surprised that having re-signed him Thomas gets so little game time.

I thought both of them were largely anonymous, particularly in the first half.

The saying "square pegs.........round holes" comes to mind in Banton's case for sure.

Do the players have to "fit" the system or do you "create" a system to suit the players ?

Maybe we should ask Louis van Gaal as he's yet to find the answer !!

Potentially Banton and Alessandra have enough quality to become match-winners BUT I fear NOT playing in their roles yesterday.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":256nu3j6 said:
Lundan Cabbie":256nu3j6 said:
If I have interpreted this as a criticism of Bolasie, it is amazing how we can all see the game so differently. From my neutral viewpoint I thought Bolasie was a key part of the Palace revival under Pulis. His powerful running with the ball epitomised the old saying "attack is the best form of defence". I do not know the figures for his assists but it struck me he was heavily involved in their offensive play. In terms of ability there may not be too much to choose between them. I just think Bolasie makes the most of what he has helped by a greater determination and his improved physique. I grant the positional thing is a point but Banton doesn't try as hard and is like a stick insect in comparison to Bolasie.

I agree he is a tad insect-like compared to Bolasie. At the moment Banton does not get in receipt of the ball and then go hell for leather towards the opposition's back line. Bolasie achieved this with Argyle, and does with Palace. It takes the pressure off the defence. I thought it ironic that JS said he has acquired Bray to do exactly that, when he already had a man like Banton, who should be capable of that.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":3i3uest6 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3i3uest6 said:

It certainly is a dig at Bolasie. His shooting and crossing is terrible for a Premier League player but because he looks so good running at defenders he gets away with it and people think he is having a good game. Wilfried Zaha will take his starting place once he is match fit unless Warnock wants to go with both and drop Puncheon.

As for Banton, he does know how to finish but he is in desperate need of a confidence fix.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Ade the green":16o44ycs said:
Sorry, did we lose today?

I do sometimes wish that when we win we could lay off the season's scapegoat, even temporarily. There's always next week.
Thought that was McHugh? I suppose though with McHugh improving match on match the scapegoat tag must be handed on.
I mean in recent seasons we've had RR and Conor H so those handing out the scapegoat tag must know what they are talking about. :nworthy: