A question (of pride) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A question (of pride)

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Who feels proud of our club and the way things are going for our club (both on and off the pitch) at the moment?

When I went out this morning (and no I didn't travel to the game) I wore my favourite Argyle polo shirt out. However, do I feel proud of the way things are going at the moment? Sadly I feel the answer is no. Too many things niggle me (whether it is the media department, small time plans for HHP, fans accepting being outplayed by Morecambe as 'they are doing quite well this year' or our dour manager who doesn't beat our drum as a club...).

Is it just me?

I can take being in League Two. I can take a defeat on a Saturday afternoon. However, right now I cannot help but feel that things could be so much better.

When it suited certain individuals / groups the phrase 'Plymouth deserves better' was banded about not so long ago. Well, right now, I feel that WE (the fans of Plymouth Argyle) deserve better.

I have mentioned the phrase 'leadership' before. It is about time that we starting seeing some of this.

James Brent is managing the operation of the football, he isn't (in my opinion) being a strong leader.

John Sheridan is managing the football, he isn't (in my opinion) being a strong leader.

If a few people grabbed the club (both on and off the pitch) by the scruff of the neck we could really start going places. Right now, I can't help but feel we are ticking over but nothing more.

Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I agree with this to be honest. It just doesn't feel like anythings going to happen at the moment!

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
On the pitch I'm confident we have what it takes to mount a promotion push although I'm still not 100% convinced by Sheridan but I don't all the blame should be put on him yesterday (No doubt demportdave will have a rant saying I'm wrong despite me being there)

Off the pitch however it just appears to be a shambles.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Steve.PAFC2012":3k60ecvv said:
On the pitch I'm confident we have what it takes to mount a promotion push although I'm still not 100% convinced by Sheridan but I don't all the blame should be put on him yesterday (No doubt demportdave will have a rant saying I'm wrong despite me being there)

There lies some of the problem. We, as fans, are worried about finances, ballons, budgets, HP, HHP etc and a lack of clear communication and a dose of human nature means we fear the worst. Just tell us whether its good news or bad news - just tell us!

Dec 3, 2005
Certainly MORE things to worry us - the Supporters - then there is to be happy about.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
tigertony":rj3dudv6 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":rj3dudv6 said:

There lies some of the problem. We, as fans, are worried about finances, ballons, budgets, HP, HHP etc and a lack of clear communication and a dose of human nature means we fear the worst. Just tell us whether its good news or bad news - just tell us!
Not gonna make a dig at Brent because I can't remember for sure but didn't we get promised full transparency when he took over?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Phil Sloggett":2x77fz3b said:
fans accepting being outplayed by Morecambe

You lost me at that bit.

We weren't, they didn't and you weren't there.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i take personal pride in the longevity of my support but at this moment and since james brent took over no pride at all.we have an owner who doesn't like football,he then employs a dour manager who never shows any passion or pride himself and surrounds himself with fawning yes men supporters and continues to fiddle whilst rome burns.whenever i go to work and the gym,plastics hammer me about how did we lose against (insert any name) and i can't answer.we are getting beaten easily by most teams these days.for the first time yesterday i had no intention of listening to the match and it was very refreshing to listen to a first division game on absolute radio and follow the scores on the bbc.james brent,please leave our club and take mr sheridan,mccarthy and harbin with you.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You're as miserable as your old man sometimes Steve, you really are.

This man 'who doesn't like football' has a new number plate on his car. It starts with 'P' and ends in 'ARG' - Something doesn't quite fit really does it.

I'm peed off with losing at Morecambe, I fully expected three points when travelling up, but 'outplayed' that's just pure crap, so why should that moronic comment go unchallenged.

I do agree about JS being negative, if we had an attacking midfielder in that team yesterday I reckon we could have been 3-1 at half time.

But to see the OP's nonsense early this morning just underlines what some miserable sods are like.

We've come some distance from where we were, we've got a way to go yet, but from what I saw yesterday, we were desperately unlucky.

Still perhaps the Argyle wearing OP knows so much about football he's right from hundreds of miles away and us dimwits that attended saw the wrong thing.

Try looking at the positives as well as the negatives and certainly resist the temptation to talk crap.

People tend to read such rubbish and dismiss posters when if delivered differently people would agree with some of their points.

As for his 'Plymouth deserves better' comment, it certainly does, but simply moaning and Nanking about things doesn't really help does it?

Must go, I have an Argyle polo to buy, to prove I'm a real fan that cares!!

P

pafcstafford

IJN":366un39p said:

This man 'who doesn't like football' has a new number plate on his car. It starts with 'P' and ends in 'ARG' - Something doesn't quite fit really does it.

I'm pi$$ed off with losing at Morecambe, I fully expected three points when travelling up, but 'outplayed' that's just pure crap, so why should that moronic comment go unchallenged.

I do agree about JS being negative, if we had an attacking midfielder in that team yesterday I reckon we could have been 3-1 at half time.

But to see the OP's nonsense early this morning just underlines what some miserable sods are like.

We've come some distance from where we were, we've got a way to go yet, but from what I saw yesterday, we were desperately unlucky.

Still perhaps the Argyle wearing OP knows so much about football he's right from hundreds of miles away and us dimwits that attended saw the wrong thing.

Try looking at the positives as well as the negatives and certainly resist the temptation to talk crap.

People tend to read such rubbish and dismiss posters when if delivered differently people would agree with some of their points.

As for his 'Plymouth deserves better' comment, it certainly does, but simply moaning and Nanking about things doesn't really help does it?

Agree with that, but I don't own an argyle polo.

Mar 23, 2008
Phil Sloggett":1qb5xr6j said:
Who feels proud of our club and the way things are going for our club (both on and off the pitch) at the moment?

When I went out this morning (and no I didn't travel to the game) I wore my favourite Argyle polo shirt out. However, do I feel proud of the way things are going at the moment? Sadly I feel the answer is no. Too many things niggle me (whether it is the media department, small time plans for HHP, fans accepting being outplayed by Morecambe as 'they are doing quite well this year' or our dour manager who doesn't beat our drum as a club...).

Is it just me?

I can take being in League Two. I can take a defeat on a Saturday afternoon. However, right now I cannot help but feel that things could be so much better.

When it suited certain individuals / groups the phrase 'Plymouth deserves better' was banded about not so long ago. Well, right now, I feel that WE (the fans of Plymouth Argyle) deserve better.

I have mentioned the phrase 'leadership' before. It is about time that we starting seeing some of this.

James Brent is managing the operation of the football, he isn't (in my opinion) being a strong leader.

John Sheridan is managing the football, he isn't (in my opinion) being a strong leader.

If a few people grabbed the club (both on and off the pitch) by the scruff of the neck we could really start going places. Right now, I can't help but feel we are ticking over but nothing more.
I have to say I agree with much of that. The club and team are very very slowly improving but there's a definite feeling of averageness about the whole shebang.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Sounded like Cheltenham away under Fletcher a few years ago to me.

No matter how much you "outplay" the opposition, no matter how much possession, how many shots you have, if you concede 2 cheap goals and only score 1 you deserve to lose.

Luton could have been 3-0 up after half an hour last week. Did they deserve to win? No, because they didn't stick that round thing in the back of the net. We did.

I'm not going to rule out play-offs this season, because I think we're (a bit) closer than we were last season and with one or two good loan signings I think we could be right in the mix. But I don't think we have the consistency to make the top 7. If we were a side of promotion-chasing quality we would have held out for a point yesterday.

And top 7 is the absolute minimum we should expect this season. We went from being perennial losers to being very inconsistent last season, now we need to progress again.

The standard of football in this league is atrocious, if you just do the basic things well you've got a real chance. We don't. Thankfully we have half a dozen players who are League 1 standard and they are carrying us to somewhere near where we want to be.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Agree with that Dan.

With no disrespect to Morecambe and their fans, but their crowds are less than a 1/4 of ours. They're clearly a well run club that utilise their resources brilliantly, which begs the question as to how well (or poor) are we being run in comparison? We're getting better as a team and club again, but its an ongoing and painfully slow process and the direction we're heading is still totally unclear. Pride is a strange one; I wouldn't say I'm not proud to be an Argyle fan, but I'm not flooded with optimism with regards to the future or current state of the club.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
IJN":k4oxdjqd said:

I'm pi$$ed off with losing at Morecambe, I fully expected three points when travelling up, but 'outplayed' that's just pure crap, so why should that moronic comment go unchallenged.

Ian, I accept that using the words 'outplayed by Morecambe' possibly weren't the best to use. We did lose though, something which doesn't bother some people enough in my opinion (you are not one of them, I know that!).

I can assure you that I'm not a 'miserable sod', as you put it. I'm just an ordinary fan who wants better from his underperforming football club.

With regards to what we do about it, I don't know. To be honest, some people are employed by the club to consider ways in which things can be improved. Perhaps they should be giving it some thought?