The Banton/Thomas debate | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Banton/Thomas debate

C

Cobi Budge.

Simple question, 3 options really.

I can't remember the last time a crowd at HP came down so hard on a particular player, received a lot of abuse from the stands, it wasn't his worst display but it was the lack of effort getting on everyone's nerves. After such a promising pre season, Banton has been a massive flop.

I'm not the biggest Thomas fan but the game was crying out for him & so were the stands, in honesty, I think the chanting of his name actually decreased the chances of him coming on due to Sheridan not being able to swallow pride. Thomas seems irritated on twitter especially, I'd be extremely frustrated if I was on the touchline every match with Banton underperforming.

I'd start with Morgan on the left in a 3 man attack with Reid in the middle & Lewi on the right. But if it was a straight choice between Thomas & Banton, I'd say Thomas at the moment, at least I think he'd be hungry.

Mar 23, 2008
Or Banton off Reid with Thomas on the left. We need some genuine width, the only person to get wide and get balls in is Reid which then leaves no-one attacking the ball in the box.

C

Cobi Budge.

Your right there, if Reid is putting the balls in he obviously can't be on the end of them. It's why I think Morgan does need to be out there.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Is Thomas showing the boss in training that he deserves a starting place? That's where he needs to be staking his claim rather than being "irritated" on Twitter.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge.":1qs5rje8 said:
Simple question, 3 options really.

I can't remember the last time a crowd at HP came down so hard on a particular player, it wasn't his worst display but it was the lack of effort getting on everyone's nerves. After such a promising pre season, Banton has been a massive flop.

I'm not the biggest Thomas fan but the game was crying out for him & so were the stands, in honesty, I think the chanting of his name actually decreased the chances of him coming on due to Sheridan not being able to swallow pride. Thomas seems irritated on twitter especially, I'd be extremely frustrated if I was on the touchline every match with Banton underperforming.

I'd start with Morgan on the left in a 3 man attack with Reid in the middle & Lewi on the right. But if it was a straight choice between Thomas & Banton, I'd say Thomas.

I am not Banton's biggest fan, I believe he was just the proverbial flash in the pan first time around. When he came back last season the hype from the green tints was utterly ridiculous and out of all proportion to his ability and what he had to offer but unfortunately, Banton himself appeared to believe it.

However, watching him struggle last night I have to say that I feel sorry for him. It is unfair to criticise anyone who is repeatedly being played in the wrong position. It is obvious to everyone except the one person who really matters.

If you play Banton, you have to give him some licence and some room. If you constrain him to the touch line where he is so predictable in that all he ever does is turn inside on to his right foot where he is usually confronted by 2 defenders, then don't expect him to have any significant impact of the game. He needs to face defenders in one on one situations around the penalty box.

As for your 3 up front theory Cobi, it may look positive but in practise it doesn't work because you end up with 3 players stretched across the width of the pitch with about 20 or 30 yards between each of them. The situation is compounded by Sheridan's obsession with holding midfielders who don't get within 35 yards of the goal.

I think by now it has been established that the excellent Reid needs to have players around him for us to get the best out of him. He has battled away valiantly on his own in far too many games, he needs support and you don't get that with Alessandra wide on one side, Banton wide on the other side and the central midfielders watching from a distance.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Trust me, players who don't play are always better than the ones who do.

This has been true for all the life of PASOTI, and before that.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I actually like Banton, he has a bit of flair and was actually okay in the last game, he had a few shots on goal and on another day he might have got a couple of goals, Wycombe defended well against him to be fair.
As for Thomas what has he done to warrant starting games, he has been poor.

P

pafcstafford

Every season there's someone or a few who can do right.
Blizzard Reid Morgan Hayes Banton hourihane and a whole host of others in previous seasons.

Aug 11, 2013
I'm not sure about either of them. What I don't like is inequality, unfairness favouritism. It creates rifts. It creates unrest. Unrest and rifts across the whole squad which is damaging. People take sides. The problem festers. There is discontent.

Every single player deserves the same chance and the same respect. That is the crux of why people are upset. The perception is he is being sidelined unfairly.

The lad deserves to start a few games. He might flop. It may be a disaster. But he deserves a place in the team. Not one game. A run of games.

It's simply a matter of fairness for me. Unfairness really angers people.

Jul 6, 2011
I don't understand why Harvey can't play out on the wing, he has good control and is able to put a decent cross in and if the opportunity arises he's got a powerful shot on him. At least that scenario would free up Allesandra to move back into the middle with Reid and you could put Banton behind the main 2.

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
briangreen":34zj3suu said:
I don't understand why Harvey can't play out on the wing, he has good control and is able to put a decent cross in and if the opportunity arises he's got a powerful shot on him. At least that scenario would free up Allesandra to move back into the middle with Reid and you could put Banton behind the main 2.
It's worth a try I suppose, I'm hoping we are looking into getting a winger on loan soonish though!

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Is that how bad it's got at Argyle?

Are you referring to the same Nathan Thomas that looked liked he'd never seen, let alone kicked a ball at Morecambe.

Aug 15, 2008
I will reinforce Thomas' post - Nathan Thomas has hardly been seen enough to make an opinion on his potential.