Sheridan's super man management (Herald) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's super man management (Herald)

C

Cobi Budge.

Sheridan has now said he kept Banton out on the pitch to receive the criticism & continue being booed so he would grow as a player. For once, I actually feel for Jason here.

He kept an underperforming player on the pitch when we were losing and possibly sacrificed a result...so that he could get some more stick from the fans.

Incredible :banghead:

Oct 24, 2010
Strange thing for a manager to say but I do see his point. I think the biggest problem with our home form in recent years is the players intolerance to the impatience of the crowd. When things get difficult too many fans waste no time in getting on the players backs and woe betide any player who wants to keep possession and pass the ball instead of hoofing it forward. If we are to succeed the players must stick to their guns and develop a thick skin and continue playing as they should in the face of the crowd negativity. Banton and others have to learn to shut out the abuse. We need players with the character to metaphorically stick up two fingers to the crowd and play their own game.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Cobi Budge.":1euy1vm0 said:
Sheridan has now said he kept Banton out on the pitch to receive the criticism & continue being booed so he would grow as a player. For once, I actually feel for Jason here.

He kept an underperforming player on the pitch when we were losing and possibly sacrificed a result...so that he could get some more stick from the fans.

Incredible :banghead:
He kept 11 underperforming players on the pitch. Sometimes letting someone struggle can work in your favour and no amount of subs were going to change that result. We'll see? I suppose next we'll see a response in the 'erald from that top manager, coach and player called Salman - :lol:

Esmers post is very relevant

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
“He’s not someone who is going to win 50-50s"

Oh that's OK is it - to have a player out there who can't win 50 50 challenges?! Jeez this interview is quite frightening.
Course he isn't going to win 50 50s with the scaredy cat way he wafts his leg at any potential challenges - but he is going to get himself injured pretty soon

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Always others who boo to quickly, isn't it. The rascals.

What Shez has said is encouraging in that he's thinking about his players' mindset rather merely reading riot acts, and judging by Pasoti he's picked out the right player to set the spotlight on, thank god.

Oct 24, 2010
up_the_line":1xu431lz said:
“He’s not someone who is going to win 50-50s"

Oh that's OK is it - to have a player out there who can't win 50 50 challenges?! Jeez this interview is quite frightening.
Course he isn't going to win 50 50s with the scaredy cat way he wafts his leg at any potential challenges - but he is going to get himself injured pretty soon
Horses for courses, you don't see Messi make too many 50/50 challenges, wouldn't mind having him in our team though.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
I think Sheridan should go back to ignoring Erringtons requests for an interview. Have to agree that was mind blowing in how stupid it sounded. Like others have said, leaving an under performing player on the pitch, at the cost of a possible equaliser, so he can be booed even more.

Disgraceful really

Apr 8, 2014
So he kept Banton on to try and improve him as a player? Instead of for the good of the team? The mans in the wrong job, and as for not winning 50/50 challenges in my time playing for Cornwall youth side, if I pulled out of a 50/50 I was in for a bollocking at half time, I've never heard so much rubbish. Also if he isn't going to win 50/50s why, pretty much every time he got the ball did he run right into the engine room and pass it to our centre backs?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Felt sorry for Banton on Tuesday, now I feel even worse for the lad knowing the manager knew he was getting stick. His confidence is shot to pieces as it is without our so called manager leaving him out there to crush him even more.

Please sack him JB :sad:

Nov 16, 2006
As usual, if you're in the Sheridan-out camp you can read it one way to suit you and vice-versa. The OP says that he kept an underperforming player on the pitch possibly sacrificing a result. Really? You couldn't take all the underperforming players off on Tuesday night because we'd only have had ended up in a 2-1-1 formation.

Most of the team were much of a muchness, so why not include a thought for a player's mental state and psychological development in your thinking?

I'm very much in two minds on Sheridan but I will say this...gives a banal interview full of clichés and everyone is on his back for being dour/undynamic and lacking in inspiration. Makes a few points in his interviews and the majority vilify him for it. Tricky for him to win.

Mar 29, 2011
The opening post should be edited to read:

"I'm neither for or against Sheridan however I always post in Sheridan out threads and it always sways more to me being on the anti-Sheridan bandwagon".

Jun 8, 2014
Gary_Wills":m7x2xv3s said:
Always others who boo to quickly, isn't it. The rascals.

What Shez has said is encouraging in that he's thinking about his players' mindset rather merely reading riot acts, and judging by Pasoti he's picked out the right player to set the spotlight on, thank god.

I agree. It's a simple psychological trick, and whilst he's not (IMO) the sort of player who reacts to it, it might toughen him up a bit. JS may have made a small mistake by releasing it as all those who want him out currently now have extra fuel to stoke their fire.

Releasing it to the press wasn't clever, but some react well to crticism.

Wouldn't say it's stupid by any means.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Can't see the logic in that personally ??????

Doesn't help us WIN the game and shatters the guys confidence even more.

Taking him off would have got a message across

Are we going to "throw" games to spite players now :facepalm:

Sorry, JS I think you have seriously lost the plot now