Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) So no Banton at all following his public humiliation by Sheridan. Purrington handed a start and recalls for Cox, Blizzard, Alessandra and Morgan. Bentley kept his place among the subs.

2) Argyle started well with Reid and Morgan forcing saves and Blizzard having a good shot from distance. Good work by Lewi set up Reid and in turn Morgan who made no mistakes. Just rewards for the balance of play at the time.

3) After the goal the game settled down to a dour affair occasionally punctuated by an attack. Blizzard and Cox my stand-outs although Morgan, Alessandra and Reid all worked hard. Refreshing to see both full-backs pile forward. Towards the end of the half Reid went down with an injury and whilst he was off McCormick made a superb one v one save.

4) Hartley and Nelson had another solid game. Couldn't help feeling that a 1 goal lead was not enough and more would be needed. Mind you I also felt a second would kill them off, they didn't appear very good.

5) Argyle started the second-half without Reid and with Thomas replacing Morgan on the left and Morgan moving centrally. Looked far less effective and we've got to hope that it's not serious. Hartley too went down and had to be replaced by McHugh. That didn't look quite as secure either.

6) Hartlepool began to slowly get back into the game. Morgan's retention nowhere near the standard of Reid's and we looked out of control at the back. Occasional forays from Blizzard and Thomas but the end product was lacking. From a Hartlepool attack. Alessandra found Blizzard and his ball was perfect for Thomas to run on and slot home.

7) We made hard work of what should have been a straight-forward win. We dominated the play but never really looked that incisive especially after Reid went off.

8 ) Lots of above average performances across the pitch with no-one standing out that I noticed other than maybe Hartley before he went off, Thomas for his cameo and Blizzard who had a hand in the second and came into his own second-half.

9) Long old poke from Hartlepool and away fans were sparse - our excuse? Argyle fans were poor throughout the first-half and most of the second.

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 6
Curtis Nelson - 7
Peter Hartley - 8
Anthony O'Connor - 6
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 7
Dominic Blizzard - 8
Marvin Morgan - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 6
Reuben Reid - 7

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Carl McHugh - 6
Aaron Bentley - unused
Ollie Norburn - unused
River Allen - unused
Tyler Harvey - 5
Nathan Thomas - 7

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
So much better! It wan't perfect but it was enough.

McCormick 8
Mellor 6
Nelson 8
Hartley 8
Purrington 6
Blizzard 7
Cox 6
O'Connor 7
Alessandra 7
Reid 7
Morgan 7

McHugh 6
Thomas 7
Harvey 6

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
How can you give Harvey a 5??? He was hardly on and didn't really do anything to warrant a high or low score... 5 seems harsh!?!

C

Cobi Budge.

McCormick - 8 - 1 great save, great handling.

Mellor - 4 - improved second half but dodgy.

Hartley - 6 - Solid, shame he got injured.

Nelson - 7 - Solid.

Purrington - 5 - Prefer McHugh, Purrington still a bit naive.

O'connor - 5 - A bit off.

Cox - 7 - back to a classy performance.

Blizzard - 8 - he's much better as an attacking player.

Lewi - 5 - gasps around the ground when given MOTM, barely achieved anything.

Reid - 6 - hope the injury isn't serious, looked it though.

Morgan - 7 - Good goal, worked hard, he's better on the left.

Subs:

Thomas - 9 - Electric. That's what we needed Tuesday.

McHugh - 6 - Solid.

Harvey - didn't do enough to say but did bottle an easy chance.

Hartlepool were bollox.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
green_pants":fkrtqpa9 said:
How can you give Harvey a 5??? He was hardly on and didn't really do anything to warrant a high or low score... 5 seems harsh!?!

5 = average.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
It doesn't matter if Hartlepool were bollox or inept or just carp. We still have to beat them when we haven't been that sharp ourselves. So mission achieved and food for thought. 3 points in the bag now move on.

What is quietly slipping by is that last season after 9 games we were GD of -4 and this season its + 4 :thumbup:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cam blizzard be our midfield saviour?

Seems to be relishing the starts he's getting.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
An unconvincing win against a very average Hartlepool team but credit to Sheridan and the team for turning things around after Tuesday and giving the fans a better performance.

We dominated the first 15 minutes, Morgan scored his goal and we then sat back. We allowed Hartlepool to dictate the play for the rest of the game until Thomas sprang to life late in the game to give us the cushion of a second goal.

Sheridan started the game with another formation 4-1-2-3 and this time it worked. O'Connor sat deep behind Cox and Blizzard with Morgan and Alessandra flanking Reid. Purrington was given a rare start and showed that an overlapping full-back is crucial to a team playing at home.

Injuries to Reid and Hartley took the gloss of the win, hopefully they are not too serious.

It was the left side triangle of Purrington, Blizzard and Morgan that looked the most likely to produce a goal, the combination of those three really worried Hartlepool and Morgan started the game just as he did against Southend.

Reid and Morgan both had chances that were saved and Blizzard also had a shot that was saved.
The goal assist came from Reid who passed to Morgan in the box, he twisted and turned (on a sixpence?) and fired in a low shot that beat the keeper and gave us the lead we fully deserved.

The players celebrated with the World Cup rocking baby routine.

Instead of killing off Hartlepool we were content to sit back and soak up the attacks. A dangerous game because just before half time Hartlepool nearly scored but thanks to an good save from McCormick we kept the score at 1-0.
Also just before half time Reid left the pitch with a back injury.

Thomas replaced Reid for the second half with Morgan moving to the middle. This seemed to affect the team and Morgan because we just couldn't get going and allowed Hartlepool to have a lot of possession. They never really carved out clear cut chances but there was a nagging feeling that an equaliser was never far away.

The game (and nerves) was settled when Blizzard put a peach of a ball through to Thomas in the middle, he advanced on goal and slotted past the keeper.
I thought Thomas was offside but no matter we'll take it.

Alessandra (who had bizarrely just been named man of the match by the match sponsors) was put through by Thomas but shot wide. Nevermind, the three points were safe.

The stand out players for me were Hartley, Purrington, Blizzard, Cox and Morgan.
Purrington made a big difference at left-back, willing to defend and get forward. Blizzard and Cox were neat and tidy, just playing it simple and Morgan was a thorn to the Hartlepool defence until he faded late in the game.

It looks like Hartley has a dead leg and hopefully he's back next week.

Thomas had a great 45 minutes, looking to get to the by-line and get the crosses in and took his goal well. The fans and team needed that second goal.
I can also see why Sheridan is reluctant to start with Thomas, he still has a lot to learn in playing for the team and keeping shape but he is an exciting player.

Hopefully Sheridan will stick with this same formation home and away, injuries permitting.

A good ugly win, although I think we are only one or two defeats for the Sheridan out campaign to start again.

McCormick 7, Mellor 6, Nelson 7, Hartley 7, Purrington 7, O'Connor 6, Cox 7, Blizzard 7, Alessandra 5, Reid 6, Morgan 7, McHugh 5, Thomas 7, Harvey 6.

Entertainment 5.

Sheridan 7.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
A pretty decent first 20 minutes but we lost our way after the first goal. All the zip went out of our attack as we played patient build-up, typically failing in the final third.

Hartley was stupid IMO. He had clearly strained/ pulled something when stretching to head back to McCormick. He should have signalled to the bench immediately - you don't run those off. Sadly it could now result in a longer absence than necessary.

Thomas did well in his attacking cameo, but while others will no doubt get excited this for me is what he is about. He did nothing defensively and his game is just not rounded enough to justify a starting berth. Personally I think his destiny is as an impact sub unless he can build more into his defensive game.

MoM for me would be Morgan on the strength of his first-half performance.

Mar 18, 2006
Not a great performance against a very port team .
But 3 points , and pleased for Thomas taking his chance .

1985nhangingon

Frank_Butcher":m1691wot said:
A pretty decent first 20 minutes but we lost our way after the first goal. All the zip went out of our attack as we played patient build-up, typically failing in the final third.

Hartley was stupid IMO. He had clearly strained/ pulled something when stretching to head back to McCormick. He should have signalled to the bench immediately - you don't run those off. Sadly it could now result in a longer absence than necessary.

Thomas did well in his attacking cameo, but while others will no doubt get excited this for me is what he is about. He did nothing defensively and his game is just not rounded enough to justify a starting berth. Personally I think his destiny is as an impact sub unless he can build more into his defensive game.

MoM for me would be Morgan on the strength of his first-half performance.
People seem obsessed with Thomas and defending,ya prob looking to see if he runs back and helps out just cos Sheridan has put the idea in ya head,he did very well and we didnt look any weaker when he came in defence but a lot better in attack,well played Thomas

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Very good win from Argyle, Thomas was my MotM, he came on and scored a great goal, and the people saying play him were right judging by today's game. Alessandra could have made it 3 at the end but he missed and shot just wide. It was much better attacking performance by everyone and good to see Marvin get a goal too! :scarf: