Stewarding in Lyndhurst Stand | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Stewarding in Lyndhurst Stand

Jan 28, 2005
Copy of message sent:

Dear Mr Boobyer

I wonder if I might draw to your attention a situation that arose towards the end of today's game? I am a season ticket holder in Block 12 of the Lyndhurst Stand and my seat is directly above exit 12. Towards the end of last season, stewards had obviously been instructed only to allow spectators seeking to leave the ground from the western end of Block 13 and the eastern end of Block 12 to do so by exit 12. Confrontation resulted and happily the practice seemed to have stopped but was reintroduced today.

Since the stand was opened about 12 years ago, it has been the custom of many spectators to leave the ground by a different exit, typically choosing to leave by a lower number exit thereby passing along the side of the group and leaving under the stand or making their exit through the large vehicular access gate between the Lyndhurst Stand and the Devonport End. Many supporters resent not being able to do this. Furthermore, some supporters from the western end of Block 12 also wanted to leave by exit 12 but were prevented from doing so and ushered towards exit 11. Both groups of supporters were antagonised by this and the stewards had to take the full force of their complaints. One supporter invited the woman steward on the pitch who seemed to be in charge to come over and explain but she declined to do so, walking off in the other direction.

I have supported Plymouth Argyle for over 40 years and have been a season ticket holder for many of those and had the same seat in the Lyndhurst Stand since it opened. I think we all know that a variety of factors, including complacency, will be forever linked with British Stadium disasters such as Ibrox (1971), Valley Parade (1985) and Hillsbrough (1989) and that it is incumbent upon the club to ensure the safety of all the spectators. Things have moved on since I exited from the Peverell End in the 1960s having been part of a great crowd witnessing an England FA XI demolishing an Irish FA XI 12-0, making my way down a series of flights of steps with the signs above '10 steps start here'. I must admit I would not like to part of a 38,000 crowd exiting the Popular Side down the dark slope to the Lyndhurst turnstiles and exit today, as I was in 1973 when Argyle ran out 3-2 winners over Santos, nor with the similar number leaving the Popular Side after the F.A. Cup fourth round tie against Everton in 1975, not that many Argyle fans will have tried that as the Popular Side was given over to Everton supporters. However, I had no qualms about the safety of the stadium in September 2004 when more than 20,000 fans attended the game against Leeds United, where spectators in the Lyndhurst Stand were not subject to the directions of stewards but simply left the stadium in a calm and orderly manner.

Sadly, there were only just over 6,000 spectators at Home Park today. In my view, directing spectators to leave by particular exits was totally unnecessary and only served to antagonise paying customers who just want to wander out of the ground in their preferred way, have a chat to friends, look wistfully across the pitch and make their way home, without necessarily going under the stands. Any safety risk today was caused by the stewarding policy. I suggest that the stewards take a more discreet, lower profile when dealing with the great majority of spectators, especially those who pose no threat to safety or threaten and incursion on the pitch. However, if you think that this policy should continue, I suggest that you personally come to Block 12 of the Lyndhurst Stand at half-time during the next home game, explain to spectators why this policy is vital to their safely and then wait at the end at exit 12 and help direct spectators in the way that you think they should go. Spectators are still paying customers and the product for which they are paying is not cheap. They at least deserve an explanation.

I shall post this letter on pasoti and will be happy to post any reply from you on the site as well.

Dec 12, 2010
Plymouth
They are most probably doing this after complaints from the Devonport End fans complaining about not being able to get out quickly after games because people from the Lyndhurst are going to the exits under the Devonport End causing hold ups for us.

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
Swillyboy":t5jkph0n said:
Copy of message sent:

Dear Mr Boobyer

I wonder if I might draw to your attention a situation that arose towards the end of today's game? I am a season ticket holder in Block 12 of the Lyndhurst Stand and my seat is directly above exit 12. Towards the end of last season, stewards had obviously been instructed only to allow spectators seeking to leave the ground from the western end of Block 13 and the eastern end of Block 12 to do so by exit 12. Confrontation resulted and happily the practice seemed to have stopped but was reintroduced today.

Since the stand was opened about 12 years ago, it has been the custom of many spectators to leave the ground by a different exit, typically choosing to leave by a lower number exit thereby passing along the side of the group and leaving under the stand or making their exit through the large vehicular access gate between the Lyndhurst Stand and the Devonport End. Many supporters resent not being able to do this. Furthermore, some supporters from the western end of Block 12 also wanted to leave by exit 12 but were prevented from doing so and ushered towards exit 11. Both groups of supporters were antagonised by this and the stewards had to take the full force of their complaints. One supporter invited the woman steward on the pitch who seemed to be in charge to come over and explain but she declined to do so, walking off in the other direction.

I have supported Plymouth Argyle for over 40 years and have been a season ticket holder for many of those and had the same seat in the Lyndhurst Stand since it opened. I think we all know that a variety of factors, including complacency, will be forever linked with British Stadium disasters such as Ibrox (1971), Valley Parade (1985) and Hillsbrough (1989) and that it is incumbent upon the club to ensure the safety of all the spectators. Things have moved on since I exited from the Peverell End in the 1960s having been part of a great crowd witnessing an England FA XI demolishing an Irish FA XI 12-0, making my way down a series of flights of steps with the signs above '10 steps start here'. I must admit I would not like to part of a 38,000 crowd exiting the Popular Side down the dark slope to the Lyndhurst turnstiles and exit today, as I was in 1973 when Argyle ran out 3-2 winners over Santos, nor with the similar number leaving the Popular Side after the F.A. Cup fourth round tie against Everton in 1975, not that many Argyle fans will have tried that as the Popular Side was given over to Everton supporters. However, I had no qualms about the safety of the stadium in September 2004 when more than 20,000 fans attended the game against Leeds United, where spectators in the Lyndhurst Stand were not subject to the directions of stewards but simply left the stadium in a calm and orderly manner.

Sadly, there were only just over 6,000 spectators at Home Park today. In my view, directing spectators to leave by particular exits was totally unnecessary and only served to antagonise paying customers who just want to wander out of the ground in their preferred way, have a chat to friends, look wistfully across the pitch and make their way home, without necessarily going under the stands. Any safety risk today was caused by the stewarding policy. I suggest that the stewards take a more discreet, lower profile when dealing with the great majority of spectators, especially those who pose no threat to safety or threaten and incursion on the pitch. However, if you think that this policy should continue, I suggest that you personally come to Block 12 of the Lyndhurst Stand at half-time during the next home game, explain to spectators why this policy is vital to their safely and then wait at the end at exit 12 and help direct spectators in the way that you think they should go. Spectators are still paying customers and the product for which they are paying is not cheap. They at least deserve an explanation.

I shall post this letter on pasoti and will be happy to post any reply from you on the site as well.

Wasting your time mate, I wrote a letter to Argyle after one of the stewards called my 16 years nephew a c*** and "offered him out" but they didnt even bother to reply and said Steward is still out there

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's probably because those exiting early from Blocks 12 or 13 etc walk the length of the pitch (to still watch the game) and obstruct the view of fans sat in the lower seats. If so, it makes sense to ask fans to leave by the nearest exit.

The supposed bad behaviour of the stewards is another matter.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
All I did was walk under the concourse and down to the block 8/9 exit. Bit of a feeble attempt to circumvent the problem.

Mar 29, 2011
I understand the action of not letting you obstruct views during the game. Today they wouldn't let you after the final whistle had gone.

R

RWW

I sit in the third to front row of block 10 and am fed up of people blocking my view got the last 10 mins. If you want to leave early then just leave. Please don't stand in front if me though as is want to watch the football.

At the final whistle everyone gets out quicker if everyone uses the nearest exit. Simples

N

NorfolkGreen

What is it about German football, that can clear a stadium of 13k in literally 5 minutes, but we can't clear a ground of less than half that number in 20-25 mins?

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
PL2 3DQ":9wnc2mz3 said:
It's probably because those exiting early from Blocks 12 or 13 etc walk the length of the pitch (to still watch the game) and obstruct the view of fans sat in the lower seats. If so, it makes sense to ask fans to leave by the nearest exit.

An 80 year old guy tried to leave by the nearest exit today and was pushed back by the steward (literally) and tried to get him to walk down the full length of the ground to leave by a different exit. Argyle dont seem at all bothered by the Stewards poor behaviour out there, its a joke really as they were recently advertising for people with "excellent customer service skills" to be stewards, 90% of them seem to be a bunch of meat heads

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
RWW":2jt612bs said:
I sit in the third to front row of block 10 and am fed up of people blocking my view got the last 10 mins. If you want to leave early then just leave. Please don't stand in front if me though as is want to watch the football.

At the final whistle everyone gets out quicker if everyone uses the nearest exit. Simples

And that really is the crux. Those wanting to travel the length of the pitch to exit between Lyndhurst and Demport are taking longer through having to queue than if they went out the closest exit and have more room. They're also blocking the steps of those wanting to exit properly and that's where the H&S comes into play.

Those wanting to go from the top of the stand for the last 5-10 minutes either don't appreciate or care about those whose view they are blocking.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
xyz":12c7md7r said:
PL2 3DQ":12c7md7r said:

An 80 year old guy tried to leave by the nearest exit today and was pushed back by the steward (literally) and tried to get him to walk down the full length of the ground to leave by a different exit. Argyle dont seem at all bothered by the Stewards poor behaviour out there, its a joke really as they were recently advertising for people with "excellent customer service skills" to be stewards, 90% of them seem to be a bunch of meat heads

Is it possible you can elaborate as this would seem extreme.

Oct 10, 2012
xyz":1ddclmli said:
Swillyboy":1ddclmli said:
Copy of message sent:

Dear Mr Boobyer

Wasting your time mate, I wrote a letter to Argyle after one of the stewards called my 16 years nephew a c*** and "offered him out" but they didnt even bother to reply and said Steward is still out there

I agree.

Good on you for taking the time to raise the issue to the club though.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
NorfolkGreen":3hmaam0q said:
What is it about German football, that can clear a stadium of 13k in literally 5 minutes, but we can't clear a ground of less than half at number in 20-25 mins?

The Colloseum in Rome held over 80,000 and was designed so everyone could leave in less than 5 minutes. Probably having had to after everyone had eaten Albatross!

xyz

Aug 5, 2012
Ade the green":22wf6ies said:
xyz":22wf6ies said:
PL2 3DQ":22wf6ies said:

Is it possible you can elaborate as this would seem extreme.

There is a guy who sits in front of us, who at a guess is probably about late 70's if not 80, who, walked down the steps, turned left to walk to the closest exit, Steward No 113 (I think it was) put his arm out and pushed him to try and get him to walk down to the right to an exit much further away. When said "older chap" didnt want to walk further away said steward continued to push him away. Several people went up to the steward after the game (and shouted at him during the game) because of his behaviour. Unfortunately, like I say, absolutely no point complaining to the club as they dont seem at all bothered by the stewards behaviour.