More Talent Going to Southampton | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

More Talent Going to Southampton

Feb 8, 2005
It has been reported in the Sunday Independant that Southampton have completed the signing of defender Oliver GARDNER, who has been under Argyle since he was 12 yrs of age. Southampton first expressed an interest in him when he played in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup in July last year.

This is the third talented youngster to have been taken from us by them. What the hell is the point in us helping to fund our youngsters to go to play in the Milk Cup each year, if the best is going to be snaffled by the big boys?

We must climb the leagues and return to our rightful position, so that we have half a chance of holding on to our talented youngsters, that are found and progressed by our outstanding coaching staff.

What is the point in funding these boys, only to lose them to the mighty Southampton (or whoever else comes in for them). I wouldn't mind if we were rightfully compensated for our efforts, but the big boys are getting a bargain for peanuts, and our coaching talent is being wasted on boys who go elsewhere.

I don't blame the boys for going to a Premiership Club.

I blame the Football League for caving in to the Premiership and not getting a better deal for their League Clubs. It will only get worse, and the Clubs in the Football League will be the losers in the end.

Apr 4, 2004
Your right in all of that. But the fact is the EPPP and the money the bigger clubs have to throw at young players leaves us unable to compete. We don't have the resources to develop players between the age of 18 - 21 At 18 our players are either in the first team or getting very little football. That can't be good for their development. I reckon our academy now is geared up for selling promising players to bigger clubs.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
ming the merciless":slbimncy said:
Your right in all of that. But the fact is the EPPP and the money the bigger clubs have to throw at young players leaves us unable to compete. We don't have the resources to develop players between the age of 18 - 21 At 18 our players are either in the first team or getting very little football. That can't be good for their development. I reckon our academy now is geared up for selling promising players to bigger clubs.

So is every other L2 club come to that Ming and your right about their development, I just hope they are right about it improving our national side but even so, it still leaves a very nasty taste and the feeling of being robbed. :sigh:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Are we even selling them?

It seems that were just a filter for bigger clubs to take what the deem as promising.

Apr 9, 2011
ming the merciless":3ri1g1t8 said:
I think you will find we dont actually sell them a s such they just poach them from us . If we kept them until they were older maybe we could get a fee for them so its a win win situation for the "big boys" & the way the whole rotten system is set up there is not a scooby do us minnows can do about it.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
It's amazing that the so called "experts" can get things so wrong. The FL is by nature the last frontier before the big time of the Premier League. It could provide the perfect breeding ground for young talent given the chance. 46+ games of proper competitive football in front of actual supporters. In terms of experience, you couldn't find a better alternative to Premier League football than FL football.

Amazingly though, the system is set up in a way to work against the FL clubs who should really provide that stepping stone to the big time. If the aim was honestly to focus on developing young English talent, surely logic doesn't suggest that you put all of your eggs in 20 baskets if you've got another 72 baskets ready and waiting for a chance at developing their own players, who in all honesty have far more to gain and therefore a greater incentive to make each youngster a success as they can't just go out and buy a replacement as a big club can and does.

What the FA should be doing IMO, is evening out the playing field by making FL clubs more attractive to younger lads, not less. They should be increasing the incentives for smaller clubs to build better facilities and employ better coaches not taking away what small incentive these clubs had in the first place.

The way the system is set up is sickening if you ask me and it'll only ever going to get worse, the gap between the Premier League and the FL will only get wider as long as things are allowed to continue.

Jul 6, 2005
Did you not know? Premier League clubs are the only ones allowed to have good young players.

In the past Argyle always brought on their players and they made their way into the first team. There are far too many to mention but from the past just three to be going on with. Norman Piper, Richard Reynolds and Johnny Williams.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Its things like this that get my goat
We need to get kids out off their arses playing footballing the streets again to get better players coming through and also allow them space in the premier league by limiting foreigners to two per team.

I run my lads under 10 team and have just be told the new FA directive is that kids cant play competitive football at Under 11 from next season
Yes that right they cant compete at under 11 and when you add to it that they dont start playing 11 a side until under 14 nowadays how are we going compete.

of course those kids taken into academy's and the like wont be playing grass root football anway as the clubs wont allow them !

The FA has a lot to answer for why are we always copying other countries why cant we devise our own plan?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":plhqku3d said:
It has been reported in the Sunday Independant that Southampton have completed the signing of defender Oliver GARDNER, who has been under Argyle since he was 12 yrs of age. Southampton first expressed an interest in him when he played in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup in July last year.

This is the third talented youngster to have been taken from us by them. What the hell is the point in us helping to fund our youngsters to go to play in the Milk Cup each year, if the best is going to be snaffled by the big boys?

We must climb the leagues and return to our rightful position, so that we have half a chance of holding on to our talented youngsters, that are found and progressed by our outstanding coaching staff.

What is the point in funding these boys, only to lose them to the mighty Southampton (or whoever else comes in for them). I wouldn't mind if we were rightfully compensated for our efforts, but the big boys are getting a bargain for peanuts, and our coaching talent is being wasted on boys who go elsewhere.

I blame the Football League for caving in to the Premiership and not getting a better deal for their League Clubs. It will only get worse, and the Clubs in the Football League will be the losers in the end.

This isn't exactly breaking news. In the summer Darren Gough mentioned on TalkSport that Southampton had taken yet another Argyle youngster (Olly Gardner) at the time when the Saints were losing older players to bigger clubs themselves.

Gardner's father Lee was a professional footballer himself so I am sure he understands what is a good move for his son and what isn't.

As for compensation to Argyle, the EPPP tables are not there to provide Argyle with what they MAY have got for him in years to come IF he had gone on and made the grade but it is compensation for what they have contributed to his progresss from ages 9-14. The EPPP formula brings in just over £30,000 for Gardner which I am sure does not leave Argyle out of pocket.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":wokudphx said:
jimsing":wokudphx said:

This isn't exactly breaking news. In the summer Darren Gough mentioned on TalkSport that Southampton had taken yet another Argyle youngster (Olly Gardner) at the time when the Saints were losing older players to bigger clubs themselves.

Gardner's father Lee was a professional footballer himself so I am sure he understands what is a good move for his son and what isn't.

As for compensation to Argyle, the EPPP tables are not there to provide Argyle with what they MAY have got for him in years to come IF he had gone on and made the grade but it is compensation for what they have contributed to his progresss from ages 9-14. The EPPP formula brings in just over £30,000 for Gardner which I am sure does not leave Argyle out of pocket.
It certainly does not leave them out of pocket at this juncture, but it doesn't make much impact on the current reported debt. Potential is just that - it may or may not lead to lost revenue further down the line. Historically, many lower league clubs have survived in years gone by only with the help of a really decent fee for one of their players. Now I cannot recall the last time any young player left the Football League to go to the Championship or Premiership for a £1M plus move. That is not to say there haven't been any, I simply don't recall such a move at this time. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it all the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

Apr 4, 2004
The big clubs make tons of money from every conceivable aspect of their operations. Now they have found a way of avoiding paying market value for youngsters. They don't need any more help. They already get everything in their favour. In your view LC, is not being out of pocket that all clubs like Argyle can hope for from Youth development. I don't think that's right or fair. I would like to see Lower ranked clubs tell the PL to stick the EPPP where the sun don't shine, Fund their own academies and sell the Jack Stephens, Lloyd Jones players in something remotely similar to a open market. The tribunal system was pretty bad. What's wrong with paying the going rate. It would only need one great prospect now and again to cover the money the PL gives to smaller academies.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":2n3knq1g said:
jimsing":2n3knq1g said:

We're well aware of the theory behind it LC, you've mentioned it on here previously. The thing is Argyle didn't invest £30,000 plus 5 years of time and effort to simply break-even on the lad. The idea of investing money in younger players should be to either overcome big transfer fees by developing our team in-house or selling on a younger player for a nice profit. The whole system becomes flawed when you remove the opportunity for the investor to make any profits whatsoever from their time. Imagine how that would work in the business world, entrepreneur spends 5-10 years of their life building a business from the ground up, putting years of effort and belief into that business. Then as soon as that business shows signs of promise, in steps a bigger business who hands over the costs that entrepreneur incurred and they're then forced to sell up because some third party thinks that the bigger business could do a better job of it.

Will Southampton profit if this lad makes it? You bet they will, there isn't a cat in hells chance they'd sell up to Man Utd etc. for "cost price" regardless of how far into this lad's development they eventually sell him at. Will he go on to better things than he would have done playing for Argyle? Under the current system quite possibly. That does not mean we shouldn't profit from his talent as Southampton will though. Of course as Southampton will eventually have a greater impact on his development they should hold a greater share of any end profit. However we should still get something, we shouldn't be forced to sell him for what some rule says it costed us to get him to a position where a bigger club can pat us on the head and take over.

Thing is, if he was honestly worth only £30,000 to Plymouth Argyle football club then there wouldn't need to be a rule in place that forces us to sell him at that price, we would simply accept the offer. The truth is we wouldn't accept such a small fee for him if the rule wasn't in place because he is worth far more to us than that which is exactly why this rule is in place, to force smaller clubs like Argyle to sell up for less than they would in a free market.

We are investors in younger players as much as any other club, be them big or small. We should have as much right to sell our investments at a price we agree with the buyer, that is how investments work for the investor to make a profit you simply wouldn't risk the money otherwise. We are very much "out of pocket", the EPPP rule has effectively taken away our normal profit on the lad and left us with nothing more than our initial investment. Not only that but we have effectively wasted 5 years of time on this lad to the tune of diddly squat. 5 years we've spent on him, 5 years that another boy could have had at Argyle who although may not have gone on to be as good might have actually gone on to generate at least some return on our investment.

As before, sickening it really is... :furious:

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
The problem with this is sooner rather than later this system of raping the lower league clubs is going to back fire because the youth set ups just wont exist, it's pointless smaller clubs investing in youngster's just to profit the bigger clubs which will make it even harder for young talent to break through.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
ming the merciless":frumgmbb said:
The big clubs make tons of money from every conceivable aspect of their operations. Now they have found a way of avoiding paying market value for youngsters. They don't need any more help. They already get everything in their favour. In your view LC, is not being out of pocket that all clubs like Argyle can hope for from Youth development. I don't think that's right or fair. I would like to see Lower ranked clubs tell the PL to stick the EPPP where the sun don't shine, Fund their own academies and sell the Jack Stephens, Lloyd Jones players in something remotely similar to a open market. The tribunal system was pretty bad. What's wrong with paying the going rate. It would only need one great prospect now and again to cover the money the PL gives to smaller academies.

Should the going rate for a 14 year old be considerably more than £30,000 then?