Possible new powers for fans owning part of their club | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Possible new powers for fans owning part of their club

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
That would drive away all those BIG investors that have been buzzing around PAFC ever since administration........Oh hang on, there ain't any.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Graham Clark":1h9q14mo said:
In conjunction with Supporters Direct the Labour Party are proposing new powers, if they are in Government, for supporter's share ownership and Board representation at Football League clubs (see link to BBC report below).

Perhaps a questions for the meeting with supporters on the 25th October?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29652317

Absolutely crucial as I have posted many times. Currently we have a bizarre situation where those who can make or break the club, by giving or withdrawing their support, have no meaningful say in the running of their club. Bring it on!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Old Gunner":3nbxtsxh said:
Graham Clark":3nbxtsxh said:
In conjunction with Supporters Direct the Labour Party are proposing new powers, if they are in Government, for supporter's share ownership and Board representation at Football League clubs (see link to BBC report below).

Perhaps a questions for the meeting with supporters on the 25th October?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29652317

Absolutely crucial as I have posted many times. Currently we have a bizarre situation where those who can make or break the club, by giving or withdrawing their support, have no meaningful say in the running of their club. Bring it on!
It is a Labour promise so I feel it'll be a long time before they'll bring it on.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Irrespective of which political party wishes to include something like this in its manifesto, this is something that the AFT should be vigorously pursuing anyway, rather than alliances of dubious value with local groups.

I hope that in the forthcoming election of AFT Board members, the membership elects candidates who will pursue these central aims of the Trust and not ones which are completely peripheral and deflect from the real issues our club faces.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I can see here the Labour Party chasing what they consider to be a populist policy. However, should it ever become legislation, with 2 nominated supporter directors together with [say] 6 other 'proper' directors, I can hypothetically see the supporter guys having a say in the Boardroom, but surely they will likely be outvoted in decision making, despite perhaps getting some Board support.

I think the Labour Party has lost sight of the fact that supporters, not liking Club policy, can 'vote with their feet', and not attend matches. This seems to concentrate minds in the Boardroom in that their share investment value weakens.
I do take the point however that certain Premiership clubs have owners with such background wealth that they may not be bothered by empty seats in their stands.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Reeks of one of those promises made in the run up to an election that would never be fulfilled.

How can the Government impose people onto the board of a private company?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
In my view would be a disaster. Look what's happening up the A38 and learn a lesson.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I pity any such person, I really do.

Not just at Argyle but any club. Hammered by those 'within football' and pulverised by the fans for any problems that may ensue.

Look at the stick the Six Toes have given their board members.

I can't think of a worse position to be in.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think Labour are just hanging on the coat tails of the BBC report on fans and the cost of tickets published this week.

It could be argued that we've already had fans on the board (look how that worked out).

I think the way forward is for a fan to be a liaison between the club/board and fans. Just one person, no group and no agenda.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
IJN":33huxjr0 said:
I pity any such person, I really do.

Not just at Argyle but any club. Hammered by those 'within football' and pulverised by the fans for any problems that may ensue.

Look at the stick the Six Toes have given their board members.

I can't think of a worse position to be in.

Nope it wouldn't be easy--but being in the firing line goes with any Board position.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
My point was OG that normal Board members just get stick form fans, imagine being at a board meeting and the other members of the board say things like 'now this mustn't get back to the fans' or even worse, the fan board member could tell by the dropped eyes or the slightly different tones that the 'real' board members knew something they didn't.

For me it's a bit like the tooth fairy, lovely in theory but that's where it stops.

Jul 29, 2010
Andy Holland":27gk7gyu said:
Reeks of one of those promises made in the run up to an election that would never be fulfilled.

What, like and 'in/out' referendum you mean. That one's coming back to bite them on the bum innit :lol:

It'll never happen, too much vested interest and too many egos within the ownership ranks.

Dec 4, 2012
X Isle":24ged3s2 said:
Andy Holland":24ged3s2 said:

What, like and 'in/out' referendum you mean. That one's coming back to bite them on the bum innit :lol:

It'll never happen, too much vested interest and too many egos within the ownership ranks.
And too much money.

T

Tim Chown

Quintrell_Green":2abi1akk said:
I can see here the Labour Party chasing what they consider to be a populist policy. However, should it ever become legislation, with 2 nominated supporter directors together with [say] 6 other 'proper' directors, I can hypothetically see the supporter guys having a say in the Boardroom, but surely they will likely be outvoted in decision making, despite perhaps getting some Board support.

And that was part of the reason why there was no appetite in the AFT membership to buy into 20% of the club - there would have been no effective influence, and indeed no seat on the board.

I think the Labour Party has lost sight of the fact that supporters, not liking Club policy, can 'vote with their feet', and not attend matches. This seems to concentrate minds in the Boardroom in that their share investment value weakens.
I do take the point however that certain Premiership clubs have owners with such background wealth that they may not be bothered by empty seats in their stands.

Fair comment, but having a seat on the board, and closer eyes on the accounts, will increase transparency. At present the accounts are released in a minimal 'abbreviated' form, from which very little can be deduced in terms of how the club is operating financially.

The Trust has been contributing to this campaign, last year through Supporter Direct's inputs to the DMCS consultations, and should certainly continue to do so.

Tim

T

Tim Chown

PL2 3DQ":3doe1pf0 said:
I think Labour are just hanging on the coat tails of the BBC report on fans and the cost of tickets published this week.

I don't think so. One of the people pushing it, Labour MP Tom Greatrex, has been doing so for a number of years, and I've attended SD/FSF meetings in the past where he's talked about it. So it's not just an opportunistic policy.

It could be argued that we've already had fans on the board (look how that worked out).

I think the way forward is for a fan to be a liaison between the club/board and fans. Just one person, no group and no agenda.

The club has a supporter liaison officer - Rick.

The Labour proposals say - and SD's view is - that Supporter Trusts are the 'formal' fan liaison. But I think you'll find any supporter group, or individual, will get a response if they choose to contact Rick or Martyn Starnes.

If people want to get more closely involved in this issue then, as Green Rhino urges, please consider standing for the Trust Board in the upcoming elections.

Tim