Guy Branston at the Fans Fest | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Guy Branston at the Fans Fest

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
What a guy.

I could listen to him for hours.

Seems like a top bloke and I hope his career continues to go well.

Thanks for a great interview Guy Branston!

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
He just spoke passionately in a no nonsense manner. He said he had worked under a lot of bad managers in his career but also a few good ones. He was clear in saying that he believed a manager really earned his corn on the training pitch making the shape / organisation of a team was right and that everyone knew what they were doing. Also said that he thought the most effective managers lived in the area all the time and were always about the place and not heading back up North all the time. That aside, he actually spoke highly of John Sheridan and seemed to think that we could achieve promotion under his stewardship.

He seemed quite taken aback at the beginning when being described as a legend and didn't feel he deserved it. Said that the term is over used and that when he saw the Darren Purse mural he thought "Purse, really?".

Got a few friendly boos when it was mentioned he is coaching the City Academy at the moment but also said he would have loved to have worked with our youngsters but Hodgie never picked up the phone to him. Seems to have a real affection for the club and us as fans.

Currently looking to get his coaching badges if possible and also hoping to do some more media work (including hopefully the Portsmouth SKY TV game).

As someone else has mentioned, it was interesting how quietly everyone was listening to him as usually at least 20% of people chat over the top of the ex Argyle player talking (which is rather annoying). Yesterday, you could almost hear a pin drop.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The murals have nothing to do with the players, they're about the fans.

The Purse mural was about Forza Verde and was 'of the time' Darren knew that, and he also knew we did have a back up mural ready as soon as he went, which was put in about a week later.

Interestingly enough Chris and I were approached by an ex player who said Mauge should never be regarded as a legend, and I reminded him of the fact that he or any player had any say in who went up on the murals.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Did this former player happen to think that they should be up there instead Ian? :D

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No mate, he said he was speaking for the 'dressing room'. - He was given short shrift i can tell you. :greensmile:

Players eh? Who do they think they are!! :scarf:

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
IJN":11xe9qrm said:
The murals have nothing to do with the players, they're about the fans.

The Purse mural was about Forza Verde and was 'of the time' Darren knew that, and he also knew we did have a back up mural ready as soon as he went, which was put in about a week later.

Interestingly enough Chris and I were approached by an ex player who said Mauge should never be regarded as a legend, and I reminded him of the fact that he or any player had any say in who went up on the murals.

Yes, we know that is was the choice of a particular person to have the Darren Purse mural put up (and, to be fair, he was paying for it). I'm not saying the players had a say in who had murals and who didn't, was just reporting what Guy Branston said and that he thought it was a little surprising.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It wasn't 'a particular person' Phil, there were a few of us who took the decision to put a current player up and as DP was easily the highest profile, it was a no brainer really.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
IJN":35r8u7vq said:
No mate, he said he was speaking for the 'dressing room'. - He was given short shrift i can tell you. :greensmile:

Players eh? Who do they think they are!! :scarf:

Were the dressing room that unhappy about a picture? Damn, maybe we could've performed better if it wasn't preying on their minds! Though perhaps a few of them were trying to hit it, the way we've been shooting these past few years...

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
IJN":36e8v9yx said:
It wasn't 'a particular person' Phil, there were a few of us who took the decision to put a current player up and as DP was easily the highest profile, it was a no brainer really.

My mistake. I remember a while back it being suggested that a particular person wanted Darren Purse in particular and this wasn't disputed at the time (when things which are untrue usually are).

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can't really remember to that extent but certainly there were at least three of us (maybe even four) involved in the first couple of murals.

Seems a long time ago now.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
The Argyle Murals are brilliant

I was lucky enough to go on one of the tours last season v fleetwood town

Bringing back all the great memories of Argyle legends during my 30 years supporting Argyle

There's a Plymouth Argyle legends murals group on Facebook I set up with a collection of photos of them all

#ArgyleMurals :scarf: