The saving grace of 3-5-2 | PASOTI

The saving grace of 3-5-2

Mar 14, 2009
It seems to me that without this formation we wouldn't be fortunate enough to be where we currently stand.

Last year we struggled, until the 3-5-2 popped out as a formation and we put a good run together around Christmas I believe. Then Lavery, came into the team and we might of reverted to a 4-4-2 but it worked for a bit but as soon as we lost him the team did not function that well again.

The mistake Sheridan has made is that he is brought forwards who are better equipped to play centrally but he persists on playing them out wide. Alessendra, Smalley, Morgan (although you could debate that one~) and Banton.

As Sheridan neglected the full back position at times, last year and this year with the left hand side it has meant, with not having real actually wingers, that Argyle have played many formations and have no real width to their play.

Playing the 3-5-2 over the course of the past two seasons has meant we have had width and a lot of the better performances over the past two years has come when we played this formation. I believe Sheridan has recruited well in some areas. Hartley is been very impressive and finally now McHugh is playing CB we see exactly what the Bradford fans pointed out. A much better CB than LB and suddenly with probably the best keeper in the league we have a great defence.

I still believe though we have got to this position more in luck than judgement. From this run the home performances against Hartlepool and Shrewsbury were abysmal at times and it was only because they were as bad as us that we got 6 points. Tranmere we played well for 45mins but against a struggling team in the second half we almost through it away again.

Whilst others are looking at the table and how high we sit. I am looking at the performances. Today, against a very physical team on a run where there confidence is high, I thought we played very well at times. Sometimes we sat too deep but I remember Sturrocks team in this league and we would do the same and that didn't do us any harm.

I just believe its too early to see this team as a promotion team. When we play 3-5-2 we can spread the play and we look good on the eye. When we revert to another formation we aren't so clever. My other issue is that second half Curle reacted by making changes got in the driving seat for 15 mins of the start of the second half. I'm not sure Sheridan reacts quick enough at times to tactical changes and as managers will soon see us playing 3-5-2 more regularly I do wonder if he can change a formation and yet make us function as a team.

To me the squad is lop-sided. All these players who are better centrally, whether that be in defence (.e.g. McHugh) or Attack (e.g. Alessendra) and the 3-5-2 helps us putting people in better positions. I believe that we have a lot of good players and so this has definitely helped when playing poorly. Yet I am reserving judgement because I still believe along with this formation issue we have other issues that if not corrected will stop us from staying high up the league. One for example, is coming back from behind in game after being a goal down.

3-5-2 is the way forward because I believe Sheridan has signed a quality spine of the team (McCormick, Hartley, Cox, Reid) but has forgotten just exactly how important width is for a team in terms of creating space and chances. So this formation is the only option until we get a LM and RM, like Bryan of Bristol City, who is prepared to play the unselfish wide role.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Are you saying that we are only in the position we are in because of the formation we are playing, and that we're lucky as we can't play any other formation? Really? Surely playing a formation which wins the game is down to good tactics. Playing winning tactics is not a weakness.

Sheridan might have tried and tinkered with other formations, but must be given credit for sticking with a formation which the team is producing results. We have been drawn into trying to outguess the opposition, worrying about how they play and picking a team/formation to adapt to that. Now we seem to be adopting our own style and challenging the opposition to try to beat us, which is the way forward.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
GreenThing":1m4mlmu4 said:
Are you saying that we are only in the position we are in because of the formation we are playing, and that we're lucky as we can't play any other formation? Really? Surely playing a formation which wins the game is down to good tactics. Playing winning tactics is not a weakness.

Sheridan might have tried and tinkered with other formations, but must be given credit for sticking with a formation which the team is producing results. We have been drawn into trying to outguess the opposition, worrying about how they play and picking a team/formation to adapt to that. Now we seem to be adopting our own style and challenging the opposition to try to beat us, which is the way forward.
Not sure about "Sheridan... must be given credit for sticking with a formation...

We only changed to 3 at the back 4 games ago but we have won all of those games.

Prior to that he was convinced that the ineffective 3 up front with Morgan and Alessandra stuck out wide was the answer, a system which also required McHugh to play LB.

Pity he didn't start with the present formation in August, we'd be out of sight now...

Apr 28, 2013
We definitely can only play 3-5-2, however that's not a bad thing- as long as it works! Only worrying thing is if teams can figure out how to stop it

Mar 14, 2009
I bring this topic back because at present it's the only formation argyle can play well in for short periods and get sustained results for any length of time! However, teams are now gradually working us out. Quick players up top in the last 3 games have pulled our defense ragged. We were totally outplayed by Burton, Hylde must of had 3 or 4 gilt edge chances where MoM was McCormack and yesterday two terrible teams couldn't pass to each other with 1 shot between them on target for the first 45mins. Nouble came on 2nd half and the pace down the sides of our back 3 was exposed again!

Teams are either getting to grips with the formation from the off or adapting by ht and totally dominating us. The 352 element of surprise (as not many teams play it in the lower leagues) is now slowly disappearing!

Gonna be interesting now. I don't think Sheridan has a scooby do when it comes to tatics. His coaching staff are also to blame! Terrible passing and constantly bad set pieces! Yet we are somehow in a playoff position in this league. Just shows how bad this league is. I can't see how argyle wont fall away now in the next few months unless we get two postions sorted. A left back with can defend as we'll as attack like Kellet does. A good lm Kellet would make I believe! A strong engine room cm who can get up and down because the reason we can't play two in midfield is the likes of cox, norburn, Harvey etc...... Don't have the stamina to get up and back and support both defense and attack.

We now have a major Att CM problem! No more B.Reid, but the likes of Tyler Harvey aren't good enough! Banton is a striker! Nothing else. I've seen him play out wide left and right or in the hole! It just doesn't work! Let him play on the shoulders of the last defender where he can do some damage!

I personally think within the decent run half those games we played goodish in! Yet I think it's mainly down to the quality of players we have got that those results have been obtained and not because of sherdians tactical ability! He must offer something for sure because we have improved over last 3 years yet I don't think he has the managerial capacity or coaching team to move us much beyond our current level. Time and time again in matches he gets out thought!

I said it during our decent run!

Same things will happen as last year! We will have decent run and lose the good loan signings and this will put us back to square one as he plays square pegs in round holes!

The reason we are anywhere near the top is because we have the best goalkeeper in the league. If we lost him then it would be curtains on our league campaign!

If sherdian can't find a back four formation that works, and he hasn't really done this over the past two years, then as good as the 3-5-2 has currently been it shall be exposed in the weeks and months to come!

S

Sam Phillips

I'm sure pacey strikers can be dealt with by dropping a few yards deeper, which can still be done with a back 3. Can't quite buy into this negativity, maybe if we lose 4 or 5 on the bounce but until that happens Im happy with where our season is heading.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'd actually say our problem lately has been the back 3 defending too deep, there's far too much space on the edge of the box for opposition attacks to exploit, especially against Fylde. The back 3 need to be faster in pushing out and ensuring they don't get bogged down just yards ahead of Luke.