Corners are wasted - Why? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Corners are wasted - Why?

P

pilgrim errant

Three points gained - fantastic! The players played their hearts out and deserve our plaudits. However, whoever determines how we play our corner kicks needs their soccer head examined. Better still come up into the stand and see our tactics (!). 3 or 4 players crowd the goal keeper while the rest of the area is a 'no-man's land'. I lost count of the number of corners and free kicks which were a gift to the Carlisle keeper and if by chance he had dropped the ball under such pressure any referee worth his salt will award a free kick.

Innumerable opportunities wasted on Saturday. Sort it out please as I'm going nuts and screaming my head off in frustration every home game. COYG.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Corners, Free kicks and Throw ins - all things you can practice and put right on the training ground.
So why is it we are so crap at them all ????!

TBH every time we get a throw in we might as well just throw it back to the opposite team and save the delay.

Saturdays corners and free kicks were all very poor when they really should be a great attacking opportunity.
Trying to break down a resolute team in open play is a darn site harder yet we are so inept at these dead ball opportunities

Harping back to the Luggy title winning season I think Wotton and Coughlan ended up scoring half our total goals from dead ball situations. Ahhhhh those were the days, a pasty was probably only a £1 as well

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
samjones":cbye69cf said:
Corners, Free kicks and Throw ins - all things you can practice and put right on the training ground.
So why is it we are so crap at them all ????!

TBH every time we get a throw in we might as well just throw it back to the opposite team and save the delay.

Saturdays corners and free kicks were all very poor when they really should be a great attacking opportunity.
Trying to break down a resolute team in open play is a darn site harder yet we are so inept at these dead ball opportunities

Harping back to the Luggy title winning season I think Wotton and Coughlan ended up scoring half our total goals from dead ball situations. Ahhhhh those were the days, a pasty was probably only a £1 as well

This exactly, I've stopped getting mad about it because it's just always the same, but it's so basic it's unreal

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Tis strange.

I rate Bobby Reid big time, but he wasted a load of free kicks in decent positions.

As for the corners, they seem to be getting worse.

Strange phenomenon, perhaps they're just decent players who are sh*t at corners.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PutneyPete":1hz1jzi5 said:
Another thought on Corners:

Pat Nevin analysis: Why have corners got worse?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29634200

Perhaps Argyle's problem is the new pitch and the atro turf to the side?

Problem with that is he says if they change it back you might end up scoring an extra goal which could get you an extra point here and there, but surely it would make the oppositions corners better too so they could be the team scoring that extra goal, which he didn't take into consideration. It might be that clubs did it deliberately to try and limit what other teams can do from corners thinking they'd be able to counter it by being used to playing at their ground, either way, it hasn't worked out that way.

Apr 28, 2013
I do kind of like our new sort of corner tactic. Crowding the keeper has actually caused other teams a lot of problems just hasn't quite come off yet. On Saturday, their keeper was very lucky to get a free kick for dropping the ball which we probably would have scored from!

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I thought Bobby Reid's delivery was accurate but lacked pace. One clever corner was played along the ground to the edge of the area and resulted in a decent chance--Reid also just missed with a decent free kick. Don't mean this to be a Reid love in, but he was the only player who seemed to find space at throw ins---by the brilliant tactic of moving towards the thrower and away from his marker.

C

centralgreen

Andy Rogers is your man.

I'm sure he can work a bit of baseball ground magic with the current squad.

There are 4 components to taking quality corners :

Positive delivery into the box ,away from the keeper
Variety near / far post, edge of the box ,different speed etc
Determination from the attacker to win the ball at all cost without giving away the foul
Celebrate the goal ( no hugs and kisses)

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
tom16pafc":3n0d1k09 said:
I do kind of like our new sort of corner tactic. Crowding the keeper has actually caused other teams a lot of problems just hasn't quite come off yet. On Saturday, their keeper was very lucky to get a free kick for dropping the ball which we probably would have scored from!

8 times out of 10 though your just going to get the Referee blowing, and giving away a foul.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I didn't think they were wasted, just that we didn't get the first ball in the last game, maybe the players were a bit statue esque in the box I think?

Jan 27, 2012
Corners and set pieces were a massive part of Argyle's succcess during the Championship winning seasons under Sturrock. I remember Sturrock saying how crucial they are at this level of football. Every time we had a corner or free kick in those days, you thought something might happen.

It wasn't just the players in the squad at that time, it was also the way they were organised and drilled. Wotton said they were made to practice over and over again in training to the point of utter boredom.

A common tactic was a looping corner, well away from the keepers clutches, which was headed back across the box by someone attacking the far post (usually Coughlan). That one seemed to cause bedlam in the opposition defence every time.

How I long for those days....

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
gaspargomez":2un6nu40 said:
Corners and set pieces were a massive part of Argyle's succcess during the Championship winning seasons under Sturrock. I remember Sturrock saying how crucial they are at this level of football. Every time we had a corner or free kick in those days, you thought something might happen.

It wasn't just the players in the squad at that time, it was also the way they were organised and drilled. Wotton said they were made to practice over and over again in training to the point of utter boredom.

A common tactic was a looping corner, well away from the keepers clutches, which was headed back across the box by someone attacking the far post (usually Coughlan). That one seemed to cause bedlam in the opposition defence every time.

How I long for those days....

Usually involved Wotton and Hodges holding onto 4-5 players between them whilst Friio crept in at the front (back) post.