Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Unchanged from Tuesday night. Cox fit enough to take his place amongst the subs. Home debut for Kellett.

2) Cheltenham started by lumping towards the Argyle area and proceeded top do exactly the same thing for the next 25 minutes. Two lumps up front and a couple of ball winners in midfield so they could pass it back to the centre-halves to lumps it again. When they got it down for the second quarter they looked far more dangerous.

3) Argyle looking for channels with the two wing backs pushed a long way forward looked the more progressive and from what I remember spent the majority of the half in possession in the Cheltenham half.

4) Good work by Mellor and a great finish by Reid for the first. The second all about Kellett and a decent cross and headed finish for Hartley. Good halves for all the centre backs, the wing-backs, Reuben and O'Connor. Bobby Reid slightly off but he hit a superb strike that forced the Cheltenham 'keeper into a blinding save.

5) Much better start for Cheltenham in the second as they switched to 4-4-2 and came into the game more. Injuries in quick succession to Nelson, McHugh and Mellor disrupted play for Argyle. Then the ref wouldn't let Mellor back on for ages.

6) Going into the final 15 Argyle needed a change. Alessandra still not quite on his game and Reid well policed by the Cheltenham defence. Smalley replaced Reid. A while later somewhat against the run of play superb play by Bobby Reid played in Alessandra who tucked it away under the body of the diving 'keeper.

7) With 10 to go Banton and Harvey replaced McHugh and Alessandra. Argyle played the game out to ole's. Mellor and McCormick combining to end one attack.

8 ) Another good team performance with everyone contributing. Good goals by Reuben, Hartley and Alessandra. Superb defending at times and Luke did what he needed to. My man-of-the-match - Hartley but others played well too.

9) Good win. Bearing in mind how close they are and how well they are doing, a poor turn out from Cheltenham. Argyle crowd good throughout the first and large chunks of the second.

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 7
Curtis Nelson - 8
Peter Hartley - 9
Carl McHugh - 7
Andy Kellett - 8
Anthony O'Connor - 8
Bobby Reid - 7
Dominic Blizzard - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 6
Reuben Reid - 7

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Ollie Norburn - unused
Lee Cox - unused
Tyler Harvey - 5
Jason Banton - 5
Marvin Morgan - unused
Dean Smalley - 6

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm really excited about the future under Sheridan.

McCormick - 7 - did all he had to do.

Mellor - 8 - got better and better as the game went on.

Nelson - 7 - Solid

McHugh - 7 - Solid

Hartley - 8 - Solid and a cracking header.

Kellet - 9 - A well deserved MOTM performance.

O'connor - 6 - bit iffy, better in the second half.

Blizzard - 8 - he's a different player this season.

Bobby - 8 - Praying we extend his loan.

Alessandra - 7 - much better in the second half, good finish.

Reid - 6 - at times excellent, at times very poor.

Subs:

Smalley - 6 - got himself about well.

Banton - At times very good at times poor, only player not to applaud fans, seemed to throw a strop at full time and couldn't get down the tunnel fast enough.

Harvey - N/A

Mar 23, 2008
Fantastic performance, crafting solidity and attacking flair. Kellett is our new Joe Bryan and him and Bobby Reid have taken us up a level. The back three were superb with O'connor in front working hard. I've given Sheridan a hard time but credit where it's due, hes put together a team today I feel proud of once again COYG.

Jan 7, 2013
Excellent result and decent performance, still 6th but gained ground on Burton, Bury and Wycombe, also a 3 points gap between us and the chasing playoff pack! We have just beaten two of those teams and they weren't great we MUST go up this season and I think we will!
Has Sheridan won me over yet? Maybe!!

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
After what seems like an eternity watching home defeat after home defeat what a pleasure it's been to watch these last 3 home games.
absolutely rock solid at the back giving Cheltenham nothing and always threatening up front.
A slow start then lots of chances after a cracker from Reuben.
every man in green played well ( again) and the goals that evaded us last week ment there were no worries as the 2 nd came to a close
long long may this continue :scarf:

Now on to the thatchers :thumbup:

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Good performance the defence is solid as ever and we looked dangerous in attack I said on Tuesday that Kellet was like Joe Bryan he is very similar and hopefully will go from strength to strength like JB did. To be fair he is very good already. My MOM probably Hartley (even excluding his goal from my decision) but an excellent team performance aswell.

Jul 29, 2010
Can't argue with much already written, great result, the wagon rolls on :thumbs:

One observation though......

Cobi Budge.":3chxmy1q said:
Banton - At times very good at times poor, only player not to applaud fans, seemed to throw a strop at full time and couldn't get down the tunnel fast enough.

Strikes me as someone who can see just how much the team has improved as a unit without him.

That attitude, accurately described by Cobi, is 180 degrees at odds with the galvalised spirit within the rest of the squad nowadays.

His facetwatterfication about January may seem the best solution for all parties :wave:

C

Cobi Budge.

Agreed. Banton's attitude is still poor & it wouldn't bother me if he Left.

The rest were brilliant in terms of attitude.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Very good first-half and one again the second didn't quite match it.

Our football at times is really very good for this division and you can sense something different about this group. The confidence is growing and that platform of the three centre-halves is the thing that allows the others to play without fear. Those three must be the in the top 5 centre-halves in the league - we are very lucky.

Kellett was exciting - and very quick, while Mellor impresses me more each time I see him. But for me it's the unfussy players that make it all possible. I thought O'Connor was once again excellent (and seems to be in any position), but McHugh was MoM for me.

Two slight disappointments - Reuben seems to have lost that early season fitness and struggles past the hour. And why oh why didn't Smalley square it at the end - just the chance that Banton needed - a shame.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
He should have been played in by Smalley close to the end. He wasn't the only player not to applaud the fans but he was one of the few. But then, he was roundly booed last time he played.

Aug 15, 2008
Banton must buy into the team ethos and buckle down. He could be a very good player but it is obvious he thinks he is better than he is.

Football has been littered with players who had ability in their feet but a vacuum between the ears in regard to knuckling down. Argyle have had a few - Darren Bastow is an extreme example.

I hope Banton realises his undoubted potential at Argyle. But if is seen as a solo player rather than a team one then cheerio!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's building....

Another win, another clean sheet, another game unbeaten ...... but this time in style.

The first half performance has to be one of the best for many years at Home Park. The team looked confident, each player wanted the ball, the players were supporting each other, closing down, passing, moving - the complete team performance for the first 45 minutes.
The second half was not up to that high standard but we still won it 1-0 and kept the clean sheet!

Such was the high level of performance from the players it would be difficult to select a Man of the Match.

The team remained the same from the Wimbledon game with Kellet making his home debut.

Nothing much happened for the first 10 minutes as each team settled into the game but slowly Argyle got a grip on it with Reuben Reid having two chances, a shot that went wide and a header that was easily saved. Just two sighters in preparation for his goal.

After a period of pressure and passing Mellor worked an opening on the right, the ball fell to Reid on the edge of the area and he thumped an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. 1-0 to the Greens and fully deserved.

Cheltenham came at us but the only chance created was when McCormick had to save with his feet and clear the danger.
With half time approaching we stepped up a gear with Bobby Reid having a great shot well saved and McHugh sliding in on a Bobby Reid free-kick but his effort flew over the bar.
No worries because a Kellett free-kick found Hartley who headed in to make it 2-0. A move straight from the training ground.
Kellett nearly made it 3-0 on the stroke of half time, however his shot curled just wide.

The players left the pitch to a standing ovation.

The second half started in the same way with Reuben Reid forcing his way through the Cheltenham defence and with a clear shot on goal he fired over. A goal then would have killed the game.

We conceded possession to Cheltenham and were content to soak up whatever they threw at us.

Mellor picked up a head injury that drew blood, the referee spotted this and instructed Mellor to receive treatment. He was soon patched up and wore the blood shirt but the ref failed to wave him back onto play, even when the ball went over to the far side on at least two occasions the ref still refused to let Mellor onto the pitch much to the fury of the fans and players.
Eventually the ball went out of play and Mellor was allowed back on, the ref was then surrounded by the Argyle players.
Usually in that situation the player is allowed on when the ball goes to the far side and away from the position where the player is standing on the touchline.

This was just a side show to the real job of winning three points and Alessandra sealed the win when he ran onto a fine through ball from Bobby Reid and slotted past the advancing keeper from a tight angle.

Substitutes Banton and Smalley linked up late in the game and Smalley should have scored or at least pass back to Banton, he did neither and the chance of a fourth goal was smothered out.

One grumble is that the attendance didn't get over 7,000, although not helped by a low turn-out from the Cheltenham fans.

Kellett had a fantastic home debut, his playing style is a little like Joe Lennox - close control, a good runner and a low centre of gravity needed to ride the tackles. He looks a real find and is not afraid to get stuck into the defensive side of the game.

The back three were solid again (I hope McHugh is ok with his injury), it's noticeable that after two of the goals were scored all three centre-backs ran over to the dug-out to receive fresh instructions.

Mellor, as we all knew, is much better on the right than the left, Blizzard had another good game, his passing and forward play is improving in each game.
Bobby Reid is still our spark, although he now has a rival in Kellett. We have to keep Reid because this system suits all the players so well - we have a solid defence, attacking wing-backs from the wide areas, two sitting midfielders and an attacking midfielder and the bonus of playing with two strikers.

On several occasions Alessandra and Reid closed down the Cheltenham defenders forcing them to pass back to the keeper, this team is defending from the front.

Cheltenham are a decent team but were well beaten.

Well played! Each player looked confident and assured. Finally a team we can be proud of (although I was proud of the admin team but for different and obvious reasons).

McCormick 8, Nelson 8, McHugh 8, Hartley 8, Mellor 8, Kellett 8, O'Connor 8, B. Reid 8, Blizzard 8, Alessandra 8, R. Reid 7. Subs Smalley 6, Banton 6, Harvey 6.

Sheridan 8.

Entertainment 8.

Jul 2, 2014
X Isle":fj40mmel said:
Can't argue with much already written, great result, the wagon rolls on :thumbs:

One observation though......

Cobi Budge.":fj40mmel said:

Strikes me as someone who can see just how much the team has improved as a unit without him.

That attitude, accurately described by Cobi, is 180 degrees at odds with the galvalised spirit within the rest of the squad nowadays.

His facetwatterfication about January may seem the best solution for all parties :wave:

Actually, I think that he was p***ed off at Smalley for not passing the ball. It seemed like an easy fourth and Banton is starting to look desperate for a goal. Of course, that is no excuse for not showing appreciation. I think he is a fairly emotional player and if he were smart enough to get the backing of the crowd by being appreciative of those who pay his salary, he would probably get a lift from the stands during the game. He is going to be coming off the bench at best for the coming games - as we now have a clear starting line up (and formation) home and away, with everyone else needing to work hard to be a sub or the go-to player when one of the starters is either injured or suspended (though with Nelson, McHugh, and Hartley each on three yellows, there should be no suspensions for a while).

Jun 11, 2012
We're starting to look the real deal now. The game was never much in doubt.

McCormick - 8/10 - Good, quick distribution.
Nelson - 7/10
McHugh - 8/10
Hartley - 9/10 - Superb.
Mellor - 9/10 - Offers plenty of quality going forwards.
Kellett - 9/10 - This guy is so, so good. Should've got a goal in the first half, too.
O'Connor - 7/10
Blizzard - 7/10
B.Reid - 8/10 - Really neat 'n' tidy performance. I can't see him scoring many, though.
R.Reid - 7/10 - He's not been at his best lately, but still very useful. Very well taken goal.
Alessandra - 7/10

Couldn't be much happier with that.

:scarf: